PDA

View Full Version : The 2009 Calculus of the Draft for the Buffalo Bills and Analysis

shelby
04-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Alex Soto breaks it down:

Every year, I like to do a little comparative analysis in an attempt to determine whether the Bills got good value in their chosen draft picks. Not knowing how successful any player brought in will be, I attempt to surmise this by analyzing the perceived average value of a player as compared to where we draft them. I then use the NFL trade value chart to ascertain the value of where each prospect was chosen. The NFL value chart can be found here:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/features/Value-Chart.php

The following are the results alongside my opinion of the pick:

Analysis:

- First Round Pick: DE Aaron Maybin at #11.

For the last several years, the Bills' front defensive line has been lacking in performance. A Cover 2 defense employed by Dick Jauron, Head Coach of the Buffalo Bills, requires all four defensive linemen to attack, penetrate the opponent’s offensive line, and essentially wreak havoc on the opposing quarterbacks and backfield. The defensive line has simply reeked.

A great move was made in the offseason last year by obtaining the big defensive tackle Marcus Stroud, but 1st round draft pick John McCargo has so far underperformed. Kyle Williams, the 5th round draft pick several years ago, has played adequately, and one might even say outplayed his pick level; but, adequate is not good enough on a line that a defense depends on to function.
The defensive ends have been even worse. Aaron Schobel was inconsistent last year, though it was revealed that he had an injury that later took him out for the season. Every single other defensive end provided very little performance on the field, with the exception of Ryan Denney, who at least contributed on special teams. Notwithstanding, you don’t keep a defensive end because of minor special team contributions. Chris Ellis was drafted as a hopeful project, but has not shown anything that may say he will elevate the team this year.
As such, they had no choice but to make Defensive End the top priority draft pick.

With a little luck, the Bills got a chance to essentially pick their top choice. The only defensive end gone at the time of their choice was Tyson Jackson, a rather large End who was more tailored for a 3-4 defense (1 nose tackle, 2 large defensive ends and 4 linebackers). With the Bills running a 4-3 defense (2 defensive tackles, 2 defensive ends, and 3 linebackers), he would not have been a good choice anyway. Much to my surprise, the Bills selected Aaron Maybin over Brian Orakpo, who many considered to be the top End and perfect for a 4-3. Maybin had been said to lack experience, not to mention being a possible one year wonder. He struggled against the run in college, and one has to wonder how he will fare against NFL running backs that are all fast, strong, and talented. Laurence Maroney, Ronnie Brown, Ricky Williams and Leon Washington…they may all give this guy fits.

That being said, Maybin does appear to have a decent knack for rushing the quarterback, so he may develop into the pick the Bills desperately need. But rest assured that in the next few years, I will be watching Orakpo in Washington, and constantly comparing these two careers. It is no secret that my view of the Bills Front Office has diminished significantly in the last few years. If Orakpo goes on to have a stellar career, while Maybin and the Bills remain average, it will just be further proof that the Bills will never achieve anything until Ralph stops firing coaches and instead fires the scouts and Tom Modrak, who drafts mediocre players consistently.

Pick # 11 is worth 1250 points (Note: Please see the link above for obtaining the point values).

A composition of many websites' mock drafts yielded an average pick for Maybin at #16, which equates to 1000 points.

Net loss: 1000 – 1250 = -250 points

For comparison-sake, Orakpo was on many mocks going at #5 and no later than 12, yielding an average pick of 6. His pick would have been a net gain of: 1600-1250 = +350.

more... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/04/25/the_2009_calculus_of_the_draft_for_the_buffalo_bills_and_analysis.php)

shelby
04-27-2009, 03:26 PM
All the off topic crap posts have been moved. If you don't have a constructive comment, please don't bother posting in this thread. Thanks.

Typ0
04-27-2009, 03:31 PM
All the off topic crap posts have been moved. If you don't have a constructive comment, please don't bother posting in this thread. Thanks.

are you oK?

shelby
04-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Yes, thanks.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:40 PM
Excuse me I think the original Post is nonsense. It is my opinion.

The Spaz
04-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Excuse me I think the original Post is nonsense. It is my opinion.

Exactly.

billsfanone
04-27-2009, 03:44 PM
I admire the author's effort. That's it though.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
I admire the author's effort. That's it though.
Sure

Mr. Pink
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Just because you don't agree with someone's analysis doesn't mean it's terrible or wrong.

Everyone has an opinion on the draft and what they liked/didn't like about it.

Just because a guy now wears the colors doesn't necessarily make them the next big thing ever.

I applaud the authors work and effort put forth into this. :up:

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
Just because you don't agree with someone's analysis doesn't mean it's terrible or wrong.

Everyone has an opinion on the draft and what they liked/didn't like about it.

Just because a guy now wears the colors doesn't necessarily make them the next big thing ever.

I applaud the authors work and effort put forth into this. :up:
Exactly

I appreciate the effort of course. I just don't agree with the content. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

billsfanone
04-27-2009, 03:53 PM
The whole point system is lame. IMO.

Mr. Pink
04-27-2009, 03:54 PM
Exactly

I appreciate the effort of course. I just don't agree with the content. Sorry if that was misunderstood.

It's always good to see both sides of things too...

If everything was blue skies and rainbows, things would get very boring.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 03:55 PM
It's always good to see both sides of things too...

If everything was blue skies and rainbows, things would get very boring.
Good point!

Mr. Pink
04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
Good point!

:up:

billsfanone
04-27-2009, 03:58 PM
Take e=mc2. E being an effective article. M being modest and c being content. Then I grade the article a 3.43.

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Fact is it took Orakpo four years to get like 12 or 13 sacks in a single season. Maybin he did it in his second season. I'm not sold on Maybin, but I sure as hell would never have been sold on Orakpo. Always beware of the Texas players, by the way anybody notice that Washington is now called the Washington Longhorns.

mysticsoto
04-27-2009, 04:20 PM
Exactly

That's fine. You are welcome to disagree. But if you don't like it, skip the thread and go on to read something else.

I wrote this as a tongue and cheek thing 3 years ago. 2 years ago I had a newborn son and essentially wrote nothing - and then last year, I got a request to write it again. So I did, and decided this year to do so also.

Quite frankly it's content is about as relevant as the typical mock draft threads that have been dominating the boards for the last few weeks...

casdhf
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I love the comments, but the points system is completely flawed.

I had the Bills at +12.34523 on the first pick, -.02348 for #28, followed up by 3345.4 for Byrd and 3.14 for the 2nd lineman.

THATHURMANATOR
That's fine. You are welcome to disagree. But if you don't like it, skip the thread and go on to read something else.

I wrote this as a tongue and cheek thing 3 years ago. 2 years ago I had a newborn son and essentially wrote nothing - and then last year, I got a request to write it again. So I did, and decided this year to do so also.

Quite frankly it's content is about as relevant as the typical mock draft threads that have been dominating the boards for the last few weeks...
Don't get mad man. I am sorry.

X-Era
Alex Soto breaks it down:

more... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/04/25/the_2009_calculus_of_the_draft_for_the_buffalo_bills_and_analysis.php)

My problem with this notion is that it relies on a commentators view of where a player should go rather than where the NFL teams think they should go.

The teams are the ones who pick, not the commentators.

Its kind of irrelevant information for me, if you could do the same thing based on how the other 31 teams felt each of our picks were value wise, it would have more merit. But, obviously, we will never see all of those boards.

I do like the notion of trying to put some science behind the draft, but I just dont think it can be done effectively.

X-Era
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM

:clap:

Now we are in agreement!

If you noticed I didn't even try a mock draft.... I really felt it would go out the window by pick 5-ish, well it was toast early. I think everyone had to rip up their sheets after the Sanchez trade up.

THATHURMANATOR
04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
I love the comments, but the points system is completely flawed.

I had the Bills at +12.34523 on the first pick, -.02348 for #28, followed up by 3345.4 for Byrd and 3.14 for the 2nd lineman.
Yes I think that is where my beef was the points system solely.

The last buffalo fan
04-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Gracias Alex! :clap:

mysticsoto
04-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Don't get mad man. I am sorry.

Nah. That's cool. I just ask that you don't ruin it for others. There are others that read it and don't take it so seriously...all analysis being done both here and on professional websites are just opinions. Until we see them play, we won't know what we really got in the draft. :)

Don't Panic
04-27-2009, 08:14 PM
I will be Maybin's biggest cheerleader, but before we made the pick, I have to say I agreed with this guy.

justasportsfan
04-28-2009, 07:32 AM
Good job Alex

THATHURMANATOR
04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Nah. That's cool. I just ask that you don't ruin it for others. There are others that read it and don't take it so seriously...all analysis being done both here and on professional websites are just opinions. Until we see them play, we won't know what we really got in the draft. :)
:hi5:

I am always ruining things for others...... :(