PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Nelson

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2009, 04:50 PM
This could be the guy we've been waiting for, for years. Tall, athletic, and runs the 40 in 4.5. Hes used to running the spread offense so he'll be able to lineup off the line well and create mis-matches. 2nd in school history for receptions as a tight end is saying something, im pumped for this kid.

Nice video on him here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSZfPHWF1j8

seanbillsfan
04-27-2009, 04:53 PM
Im glad we got him instead of pettigrew

nateodoms'bff
04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
He's impressive.

I hope that he helps this team. From the sounds of his interview, he didn't sound to happy. I hope that's a chip on his shoulder, and not because he was drafted by the Bills.

nateodoms'bff

That's not true.

FlyingDutchman
Was nice to hear on the video that he makes the hard plays look easy, which is better than the usual easy plays look hard. His best game was against a very tough Auburn defense

seanbillsfan
04-27-2009, 04:59 PM
That's not true.
True story

ct bills fan
04-27-2009, 05:10 PM
I was at the draft and a bunch of us wanted him from the time Day 2 started, we had to wait around 3 hours, of course, for the pick. When we drafted him, we went nuts - nobody thought he'd last to our pick and when he did, we figured they'd screw it up and take a CB. It took the Bills about 15 seconds to hand in the card after the previous pick was made - that was a good sign.

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Pettigrew is a solid player with butter soft hands but I dont think Nelson is that far off him. This is going to be refreshing to have a receiving TE for once. With T.O now, and an fixed interior line, this offense might actually stand a chance

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2009, 05:12 PM
I was at the draft and a bunch of us wanted him from the time Day 2 started, we had to wait around 3 hours, of course, for the pick. When we drafted him, we went nuts - nobody thought he'd last to our pick and when he did, we figured they'd screw it up and take a CB. It took the Bills about 15 seconds to hand in the card after the previous pick was made - that was a good sign.

yeah this was the only pick that i actually screamed out of excitement for

kid mickey
04-27-2009, 05:14 PM
He sounded depressed on his phone conference. Like he was upset that he landed in the fourth round. I don't know maybe he is just naturally that way.

Dr. Pepper
04-27-2009, 05:17 PM
He sounded depressed on his phone conference. Like he was upset that he landed in the fourth round. I don't know maybe he is just naturally that way.

yeah hopefully he was just upset that he slipped to the 4th round. i'd assume thats quite a bit of $$ he loses out on. if i were a player in the draft the only teams i wouldnt want to get drafted by would be the raiders and the lions, for obvious reasons.

Philagape
04-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Nelson in the fourth destroys Pettigrew in the first. Slam dunk.

BillsWin
04-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Offensive rookie of the year. Any takers? :D

Mad Bomber
04-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Pettigrew is a solid player with butter soft hands but I dont think Nelson is that far off him.
Well said, my friend. My opinion (which probably means jack s**t) is that he is only marginally less valuable than Pettigrew overall, at a MAJOR discount. This guy can be a receiving TE, and if he bulks up can be a blocker as well.

I may be crazy (and many of you Zoners would agree that I am) but I think that Fine will be Fine, and that Nelson is going to be a difference maker.

Another big, quick receiver. I only pray that TO can teach James Hardy how to run a route. If that happens, we will have 3 big receivers to deal with....

cocamide
04-27-2009, 07:32 PM
TO, Evans, Nelson, Reed, Johnson, and hopefully Hardy. Wow! Just imagine what TO, Nelson, and Hardy could do in the redzone.

nateodoms'bff
04-27-2009, 07:36 PM
Well said, my friend. My opinion (which probably means jack s**t) is that he is only marginally less valuable than Pettigrew overall, at a MAJOR discount. This guy can be a receiving TE, and if he bulks up can be a blocker as well.

I may be crazy (and many of you Zoners would agree that I am) but I think that Fine will be Fine, and that Nelson is going to be a difference maker.

Another big, quick receiver. I only pray that TO can teach James Hardy how to run a route. If that happens, we will have 3 big receivers to deal with....

There is a better chance of Steve Johnson developing into the next "#2" receiver on this team. I think James Hardy will turn into more of a Dwayne Jarrett situational type player, who is a force inside the 20. He's not an every down receiver. Which I am totally fine with. Once inside the 20, having Nelson, Hardy, Owens, Lynch, Jackson, and Fine all to contend with, Schonert can have a lot of different looks.

All of a sudden this team can be dangerous.

acehole
04-27-2009, 08:28 PM
He's impressive.

I hope that he helps this team. From the sounds of his interview, he didn't sound to happy. I hope that's a chip on his shoulder, and not because he was drafted by the Bills.

Looks like atlanta was first his choice...why not it is a passing downfield offense in a warm weather city....vs a 3ft pass in a cold weather town....

casdhf
04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
How come everyone passed on him 3 times? I dunno much about him.

TigerJ
04-27-2009, 09:20 PM

Me too. Oh I could have lived with Pettigrew, and maybe Pettigrew would have been better for the running game. If, however, with Lee Evans, Terrell Owens, and now Shawn Nelson, and a maturing Trent Edwards the Bills can start striking a little fear in the hearts of defenses with our passing potency, that in itself may open up the running game by forcing DBs to back away from the box. Plus, I think Shawn Nelson has the right attitude and is eventually going to become a decent blocker.

Spiderweb
04-27-2009, 09:34 PM

That's not true.

Pettigrew may not stretch the field like Gonzalez or Gates, but he will be a force. I too, would have preferred Pettigrew, which is not to say I don't have hopes for Nelson, but he's not in Pettigrew's class.

TonyBlack
04-28-2009, 09:57 AM
How come everyone passed on him 3 times? I dunno much about him.
tight ends are like kickers in the draft, not much teams need tight ends depending on their strategy, so thats why alot of teams passed him. some sign undrafted tight ends that sometime they do their job right.

Mahdi
04-28-2009, 10:05 AM
That's not true.
Yes it is.

Mad Bomber
04-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Nelson in the fourth destroys Pettigrew in the first. Slam dunk.
:bf1: The steal of the draft.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 09:52 PM
I think we should wait and see what he contributes before we say he better than Pettigrew. I will agree that it was better value in the fourth round though.

Mad Bomber
04-30-2009, 09:53 PM
tight ends are like kickers in the draft, not much teams need tight ends depending on their strategy, so thats why alot of teams passed him. some sign undrafted tight ends that sometime they do their job right.
...and very often DON'T. The Bills have drafted TEs the past two years, and still had Robert Royal starting.....:puke:

The key word 'sometime' has to come to an end for this team.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Nelson is the guy. They might bring in some "competition" for Nelson, Schouman, and Fine, but they ain't making the roster.