PDA

View Full Version : WLB solution?

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 08:11 AM
I'm quite worried about this spot.

While I'm not sold on the current OT's it sounds like we are going to have out there... I'm open to the possibility that Walker at LT and whoever ar RT can do well enough to surivive.

But at WLB, I'm quite concerned.

Corto, Buggs, Costanzo, and DiGiorgio are not viable options there for different reasons.

Ellison, who is there now, has not been very good. He has started due to need, and has put up some stats. But all to many times he's blocked out of the play, or misses tackles. Big RB's run him over. He's just a bit small and seemingly too weak to fight off blockers.

Bowen, who many are high on, is even smaller and less experience than Ellison. I'm not at all conviced he's an upgrade.

They drafted Nic Harris. Who at least has better size, but is a step or 2 slow for covering TE's. (he ran a 4.85 at the combine!).

The Bills don't seem inclined to really address this fully. Hill is out there and would be a MASSIVE upgrade, but i've not heard much about interest in him and the rumors of him staying in seattle is worrisome.

I don't think Derrick Brooks wants to play in Buffalo. If he plays at all I think he's headed to a big market "contender" somewhere.

Keiaho is also an upgrade who knoes the scheme. He had a lot of hype going into last year in Indy, but injuries derailed him. I think he would be an affordable upgrade, even though we'd still lack a true playmaker at LB.

Pinkerton Security
04-28-2009, 08:13 AM
you didnt explain why Digi couldnt play the WLB spot. I'd prefer he be the one if we don't make any more moves.

ddaryl
04-28-2009, 08:15 AM
Bowen should have put on wieght and muscle this year before heaidng into camp this year.

TigerJ
04-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Actually, I think Ellison played the SAM or strong side linebacker spot. Mitchell was the Bills' WILL or weak side linebacker. I think all of us agree that Ellison has not been a great starter, but I think we're stuck with him for a while. Nic Harris may eventually take over, maybe before the end of the season if Ellison struggles. Harris timed pretty poorly, as you note. For what it's worth, Tom Modrak called him a 4.6-4.7 guy in a TV interview after the draft. A lot of guys timed very badly at the combine, So much so that some observers think it was somehing at the combine, maybe the electronic timer, that accounted for that. In any case, Harris is described as a real student of the game with excellent reading ability and reaction time. That may help him overcome any deficencies he might have in actual foot speed. The foot speed would definitely be a liability when he has to turn and run with a fast WR, but in the more limited space where a linebacker works, Harris' anticipation and reaction skills should enable him to handle NFL speed very well. In addition, he's bigger than Ellison. He's 6'2" and 234 lbs now and the Bills anticipate him playing at 240. Ellison is 229 soaking wet.

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 08:54 AM
you didnt explain why Digi couldnt play the WLB spot. I'd prefer he be the one if we don't make any more moves.

He's got the frame to get stronger, but i've not heard he has added muscle. My biggest issue is that he's more of a MLB run stopper than he is a wlb coverage guy. He's not the most atheletic guy, and doen'st have good speed. His coverage skills are ok but I'm not sure you want him trying to cover atheletic TE's regualrly.

To me he fits fairl well as a backup MLB, and a good special teamer. But not starting material, especially in terms of man coverage on bigger faster TE's.

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 08:56 AM
Bowen should have put on wieght and muscle this year before heaidng into camp this year.

Even if true... he has basically no experience in the NFL after his injury.

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Actually, I think Ellison played the SAM or strong side linebacker spot. Mitchell was the Bills' WILL or weak side linebacker. I think all of us agree that Ellison has not been a great starter, but I think we're stuck with him for a while. Nic Harris may eventually take over, maybe before the end of the season if Ellison struggles. Harris timed pretty poorly, as you note. For what it's worth, Tom Modrak called him a 4.6-4.7 guy in a TV interview after the draft. A lot of guys timed very badly at the combine, So much so that some observers think it was somehing at the combine, maybe the electronic timer, that accounted for that. In any case, Harris is described as a real student of the game with excellent reading ability and reaction time. That may help him overcome any deficencies he might have in actual foot speed. The foot speed would definitely be a liability when he has to turn and run with a fast WR, but in the more limited space where a linebacker works, Harris' anticipation and reaction skills should enable him to handle NFL speed very well. In addition, he's bigger than Ellison. He's 6'2" and 234 lbs now and the Bills anticipate him playing at 240. Ellison is 229 soaking wet.

I hope the timing for Harris part is true. And I hope very much he DOES develop into a starting LB. But as a 5th round project who has to learn a whole new position, I don't think he cna be counted on to help this season, unless he really surprises.

My feeling is the Bills (and Jauron) can't afford to let this season slide with no improvement. He'll be out of a job. Ellison as a starter again would be a BIG problem. Something I think needs to be fixed before the season.

Hence my thread.

We shouldn't be "stuck with him"... I hope the Bills are concerned with this.

Hill would be a massive upgrade. Even ifthey signed Keiaho... he did have 105 tackles and moves well. Though he lacked big plays.

Griz78
04-28-2009, 09:10 AM
I asked Chris Brown about Bowen because his 222 lbs size woriied me also but he wrote back saying he added some bulk, but not a #.

As for Keiaho, teh more I think about it, I don't know if he is really an upgrade. He can tackle better than Ellison but doesn't seem to make any other plays.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2009, 09:21 AM
I think Ellison was a 6th round pick, so I'm not sure why some are so quick to discount two 5th round picks (Bowen and Harris), both of whom were more productive than Ellison in college.

TonyBlack
04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
corto or digiorgio, i dont mind them being our wlb.

ct bills fan
04-28-2009, 10:11 AM
I still think they'll bring in a veteran LB to compete, that won't cost them a lot.

TigerJ
04-28-2009, 10:45 AM
It's good to hear about Bowen adding some weight. He's going to be a total unknown , just like a rookie when it comes to playing the pro game since last season was lost to injury. I think Corto is the lighest of the bunch unless he's added a lot of weight. I think he was listed at like 208 lbs last season. He's quite fast though, in the 4.4-4.5 range. The bottom line is there will be some comopetition for the SAM spot. How it all turns out and whether or not the Bills get any better play out of their SAM linebacker is anyone's guess.

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 10:52 AM
I think it's time we stopped trying to turn special teamers into starting LB's.

THe truth is most of these guys are ONLY really here to play ST and BACKUP the LB spots. We need to find someone who is here ONLY to be a good LB. Instead of trying to fit the ST guys into a role they probably can't handle.

BillsOwnAll
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
You say harris is a step to slow. Though i think the 40 time isnt a true judge for that. Sprinting a straight line is different speed then covering someone. Its about position and "football speed". a 4.8 does mean that no TE are gonna burn him though.

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 11:21 AM
You say harris is a step to slow. Though i think the 40 time isnt a true judge for that. Sprinting a straight line is different speed then covering someone. Its about position and "football speed". a 4.8 does mean that no TE are gonna burn him though.

HUH? Many TE's run much better than a 4.8.

And while the 40 IS overrated somewhat,it DOES matter in cass where someone gets behind you and you need to recover.

kid mickey
04-28-2009, 08:08 PM
Harris is a 4.6 guy. Where you getting the 4.8 from Modrak said he was in the 4.6 4.7 range.

Canadian'eh!
04-29-2009, 06:56 AM
Harris is a 4.6 guy. Where you getting the 4.8 from Modrak said he was in the 4.6 4.7 range.

That is what he ran at the combine. All the combine numbers are on NFL.com somewhere.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I asked Chris Brown about Bowen because his 222 lbs size woriied me also but he wrote back saying he added some bulk, but not a #.

If Bowen has gotten his weight in the 230-235 range he will most def be the starter the dude was a tackling machine. I have to say I was against Harris at first but he is very intriguining. He's bigger than every LBer we've drafted except for Poz (but not by much). Dude's athletic and I think it's vesiable that he may actually gain some wait before the season seeing he was constantly keeping his weight down to play LBer.

Mitchell55
04-29-2009, 01:18 PM
Harris is the best option. He can hit, cover, and blitz.

kid mickey
04-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Nic Harris is going to be in the competition for who will get the starting OLB spot. He is the biggest linebacker that is competing for the spot and has a shot to get it. Ellison, Bowen, Buggs, and Hall are all in the mix as well.

Italian Stallion
04-29-2009, 01:57 PM
DiGiorgio does make plays when hes in the game though..I wouldn't discount him starting so quickly

He is very smart and instinctive.

kid mickey
04-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Digiorgio is a quality reserve mike backer.

LifetimeBillsFan
04-30-2009, 06:22 AM
The Bills aren't done adding veteran free agents yet and it is possible that they could still add a LB to play the SAM position for this season, if they can get a vet at the right price (they would move Mitchell to SLB to accommodate D.Brooks, but probably not for anyone else).

But, I think the reason that they haven't signed a vet OLB yet is that they were all looking for more than the one year deal that the Bills were willing to offer. And, I think the reason that the Bills were only willing to offer a one year deal is because they had a couple of guys that they figured would be around in the middle rounds targeted and Harris was one of them.

Because Harris played some LB and played down in the box a lot at Oklahoma, I don't think that the transition to SLB will be that difficult for him. Nor should it be hard for him to add the 5-7 lbs that he needs to gain to get to 240 lbs. by the start of training camp. At 240 lbs. he will have enough size to hold up at the position in the defense that the Bills run.

Forget about how fast he ran at The Combine and look at the guy on some tape--there have been plenty of guys who timed slow and could play, including a guy named Zach Thomas, another 5th round pick. When he plays close to the line of scrimmage, Harris looks like a LB on tape. He hits hard, tackles well and has good anticipation. Where he got into trouble was playing safety in coverage--the deeper he had to go, the bigger his problems. He should be fine in short zones at SLB, especially since he has more experience playing in space than a lot of OLBs.

The only question that I have is whether he will be able to get comfortable at SLB fast enough for the Bills to be able to trust him to start at SLB on Opening Day or whether he will need some time before he is ready to take over the starting job. I don't know if the Bills even have the answer to that question yet.

Tatonka
04-30-2009, 07:51 AM
Mitchell is the Weak Side Linebacker.

Canadian'eh!
04-30-2009, 08:09 AM
I'm still uncomfprtable with an unproven player in this role. We need 1 more playmaker on D, particularly in the LB group.

Harris might develop, and amybe someone else steps up.

But's it's like the old QB addage. "If you say you have 3 QB's, you really have none".

I'm not overly comfortable sitting on our hands and hoping someone works out well. If certain pieces fall into place we might have a good team. SO I'd like to be proactive in this one spot with a proven guy.

Apparently Foote is a no go. Kieaho is on the verge of signing back with Indy. So maybe try to steal Hill away from Seattle?
It's a long shot... but somehtingneeds to be done before we have another year of Ellison.

Tatonka
04-30-2009, 08:55 AM
the plus side is that the linebacker spot is one of the easiest spots on the team to fill with a rookie. especially in the cover 2. a lot of linebackers are just plug and play.

Canadian'eh!
04-30-2009, 10:21 AM
the plus side is that the linebacker spot is one of the easiest spots on the team to fill with a rookie. especially in the cover 2. a lot of linebackers are just plug and play.

Harris is def a possibility. But his lack of experience playing LB at all is more worrisome to me. If had played LB in college, i'd be more comfortable that he could step in right away.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Harris is gonna compete for the spot and if he beats out Ellison that that is all that matters to me.

Canadian'eh!
04-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Worth noting that Keiaho and Hill are both about to resign with their former clubs. Foote seems to really want to go to Detroit. Our options are getting VERY VERY limited, unless Derrick Brooks wants to play here. (which i seem to recall he was not that interested in)

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Nic Harris future starting OLB for the Buffalo Bills.