• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Canadian'eh!
    • Mar 2004

WLB solution?

I'm quite worried about this spot.

While I'm not sold on the current OT's it sounds like we are going to have out there... I'm open to the possibility that Walker at LT and whoever ar RT can do well enough to surivive.

But at WLB, I'm quite concerned.

Corto, Buggs, Costanzo, and DiGiorgio are not viable options there for different reasons.

Ellison, who is there now, has not been very good. He has started due to need, and has put up some stats. But all to many times he's blocked out of the play, or misses tackles. Big RB's run him over. He's just a bit small and seemingly too weak to fight off blockers.

Bowen, who many are high on, is even smaller and less experience than Ellison. I'm not at all conviced he's an upgrade.

They drafted Nic Harris. Who at least has better size, but is a step or 2 slow for covering TE's. (he ran a 4.85 at the combine!).

The Bills don't seem inclined to really address this fully. Hill is out there and would be a MASSIVE upgrade, but i've not heard much about interest in him and the rumors of him staying in seattle is worrisome.

I don't think Derrick Brooks wants to play in Buffalo. If he plays at all I think he's headed to a big market "contender" somewhere.

Keiaho is also an upgrade who knoes the scheme. He had a lot of hype going into last year in Indy, but injuries derailed him. I think he would be an affordable upgrade, even though we'd still lack a true playmaker at LB.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: WLB solution?

you didnt explain why Digi couldnt play the WLB spot. I'd prefer he be the one if we don't make any more moves.

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

Bowen should have put on wieght and muscle this year before heaidng into camp this year.

Comment

• TigerJ
        • Jul 2002

Actually, I think Ellison played the SAM or strong side linebacker spot. Mitchell was the Bills' WILL or weak side linebacker. I think all of us agree that Ellison has not been a great starter, but I think we're stuck with him for a while. Nic Harris may eventually take over, maybe before the end of the season if Ellison struggles. Harris timed pretty poorly, as you note. For what it's worth, Tom Modrak called him a 4.6-4.7 guy in a TV interview after the draft. A lot of guys timed very badly at the combine, So much so that some observers think it was somehing at the combine, maybe the electronic timer, that accounted for that. In any case, Harris is described as a real student of the game with excellent reading ability and reaction time. That may help him overcome any deficencies he might have in actual foot speed. The foot speed would definitely be a liability when he has to turn and run with a fast WR, but in the more limited space where a linebacker works, Harris' anticipation and reaction skills should enable him to handle NFL speed very well. In addition, he's bigger than Ellison. He's 6'2" and 234 lbs now and the Bills anticipate him playing at 240. Ellison is 229 soaking wet.
        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
          you didnt explain why Digi couldnt play the WLB spot. I'd prefer he be the one if we don't make any more moves.
          He's got the frame to get stronger, but i've not heard he has added muscle. My biggest issue is that he's more of a MLB run stopper than he is a wlb coverage guy. He's not the most atheletic guy, and doen'st have good speed. His coverage skills are ok but I'm not sure you want him trying to cover atheletic TE's regualrly.

To me he fits fairl well as a backup MLB, and a good special teamer. But not starting material, especially in terms of man coverage on bigger faster TE's.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by ddaryl
            Bowen should have put on wieght and muscle this year before heaidng into camp this year.
            Even if true... he has basically no experience in the NFL after his injury.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by TigerJ
              Actually, I think Ellison played the SAM or strong side linebacker spot. Mitchell was the Bills' WILL or weak side linebacker. I think all of us agree that Ellison has not been a great starter, but I think we're stuck with him for a while. Nic Harris may eventually take over, maybe before the end of the season if Ellison struggles. Harris timed pretty poorly, as you note. For what it's worth, Tom Modrak called him a 4.6-4.7 guy in a TV interview after the draft. A lot of guys timed very badly at the combine, So much so that some observers think it was somehing at the combine, maybe the electronic timer, that accounted for that. In any case, Harris is described as a real student of the game with excellent reading ability and reaction time. That may help him overcome any deficencies he might have in actual foot speed. The foot speed would definitely be a liability when he has to turn and run with a fast WR, but in the more limited space where a linebacker works, Harris' anticipation and reaction skills should enable him to handle NFL speed very well. In addition, he's bigger than Ellison. He's 6'2" and 234 lbs now and the Bills anticipate him playing at 240. Ellison is 229 soaking wet.

I hope the timing for Harris part is true. And I hope very much he DOES develop into a starting LB. But as a 5th round project who has to learn a whole new position, I don't think he cna be counted on to help this season, unless he really surprises.

My feeling is the Bills (and Jauron) can't afford to let this season slide with no improvement. He'll be out of a job. Ellison as a starter again would be a BIG problem. Something I think needs to be fixed before the season.

Hence my thread.

We shouldn't be "stuck with him"... I hope the Bills are concerned with this.

Hill would be a massive upgrade. Even ifthey signed Keiaho... he did have 105 tackles and moves well. Though he lacked big plays.

Comment

• Griz78
                • Sep 2002

I asked Chris Brown about Bowen because his 222 lbs size woriied me also but he wrote back saying he added some bulk, but not a #.

As for Keiaho, teh more I think about it, I don't know if he is really an upgrade. He can tackle better than Ellison but doesn't seem to make any other plays.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                  Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                  • May 2003

I think Ellison was a 6th round pick, so I'm not sure why some are so quick to discount two 5th round picks (Bowen and Harris), both of whom were more productive than Ellison in college.
                  Last edited by Jan Reimers; 04-28-2009, 04:12 PM.
                  Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• TonyBlack
                    • Feb 2009

corto or digiorgio, i dont mind them being our wlb.

Comment

• ct bills fan
                      • Jul 2002

I still think they'll bring in a veteran LB to compete, that won't cost them a lot.

Comment

• TigerJ
                        • Jul 2002

It's good to hear about Bowen adding some weight. He's going to be a total unknown , just like a rookie when it comes to playing the pro game since last season was lost to injury. I think Corto is the lighest of the bunch unless he's added a lot of weight. I think he was listed at like 208 lbs last season. He's quite fast though, in the 4.4-4.5 range. The bottom line is there will be some comopetition for the SAM spot. How it all turns out and whether or not the Bills get any better play out of their SAM linebacker is anyone's guess.
                        I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                          • Mar 2004

I think it's time we stopped trying to turn special teamers into starting LB's.

THe truth is most of these guys are ONLY really here to play ST and BACKUP the LB spots. We need to find someone who is here ONLY to be a good LB. Instead of trying to fit the ST guys into a role they probably can't handle.

Comment

• BillsOwnAll
                            My IQ Test results came back negative
                            • Oct 2002

You say harris is a step to slow. Though i think the 40 time isnt a true judge for that. Sprinting a straight line is different speed then covering someone. Its about position and "football speed". a 4.8 does mean that no TE are gonna burn him though.

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                              • Mar 2004

Originally posted by BillsOwnAll
                              You say harris is a step to slow. Though i think the 40 time isnt a true judge for that. Sprinting a straight line is different speed then covering someone. Its about position and "football speed". a 4.8 does mean that no TE are gonna burn him though.
                              HUH? Many TE's run much better than a 4.8.

And while the 40 IS overrated somewhat,it DOES matter in cass where someone gets behind you and you need to recover.

Comment

Working...
                              X