PDA

View Full Version : Another LB option?

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Steelers to cut him.

www.profootballtalk.com (http://www.profootballtalk.com)

He had a down year and isn't huge but has the size,speed and skill to play OLB here. He's always been a bit undersized for a 3-4 OLB.

Not a bad option for us though....

has playmaking ability.... good for a few sacks on blitzes, good in coverage. Not great at any one thing, but a sure tackler and smart football player.

Only 28 as well.

me likey.

Pinkerton Security
04-28-2009, 10:31 AM
id def take him, would provide leadership as well.

Tatonka
04-28-2009, 10:33 AM
i would definately be happy with his signing. he is a solid LB that has made some nice plays. why would the steelers let him go? to get Timmons (2nd round LB they drafted out of FL ST) in the line up? Foote didnt have a big contract i dont think. is he getting old?

Commissioner
04-28-2009, 10:34 AM
He's better than Ellison.

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 10:36 AM
i would definately be happy with his signing. he is a solid LB that has made some nice plays. why would the steelers let him go? to get Timmons (2nd round LB they drafted out of FL ST) in the line up? Foote didnt have a big contract i dont think. is he getting old?

Basically.. Woodley, Timmons, Farrior and big money for Harrison. They have no place to play Foote really if tey want Timmons in there at ILB.

Plus they save some money too.

Jaybird
04-28-2009, 10:38 AM
great option for us

mikemac2001
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
DOOOOOO THIS!!! get ellison off the field

Oaf
04-28-2009, 10:44 AM
I would prefer this over Hill. He's a great community guy and is still very involved here in Ann Arbor as a distinguished alum.

The Juice Is Loose
04-28-2009, 10:53 AM
Bring a little of that Pittsburgh attitude to our defense. I'd love it.

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 10:55 AM
From what I read about Foote to refamiliarize myself with him... small for a 3-4... not so much a 4-3... bigger than our guys. Good speed. Very good tackler.

But VERY smart player. Reads plays very well. Plus he has great character and is a real leader in the locker room.

PLus you know he might know afew things having learned playing LB in Pittsburgh.

The Juice Is Loose
04-28-2009, 11:05 AM
This is why I hate all these doom and gloom people. The Dolphins were screwed last year, and they signed Chad Pennington like at the end of July.

That totally changed their team. If we drafted a rookie LB saturday, I'd be mad right now because I'd rather have Foote. Sorry but Poz/Mitch/Foote is the best 3 LB combo we've discusses so far this off season.

He's not a blazer, but he's physical. He's mean. He's exactly what we need!

If we sign Foote, it would complete probably the best off season that I can remember.

We'll have a tackle, too.

ddaryl
04-28-2009, 11:18 AM
cheaper option then Hill as well. Vet leadership added, and it gives guys like Bowen a chance to continue to develope

but is he really good enough to pursue ?

The Juice Is Loose
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
This is just so perfect its insane.

This is just like TO. It just seemed perfect, and it happened.

Come on, Russ! We are one FOOTE away from the Playoffs!!!!!

jmb1099
04-28-2009, 11:20 AM
sign him

The Juice Is Loose
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
This is the most unanymous thread I've ever seen.

I'm waiting for Op or HH to come in and say it would be a stupid move.

Will it happen??...

Canadian'eh!
04-28-2009, 11:22 AM
This is just so perfect its insane.

This is just like TO. It just seemed perfect, and it happened.

Come on, Russ! We are one FOOTE away from the Playoffs!!!!!

Nice pun! lol

bigbub2352
04-28-2009, 11:53 AM
Leadership and a Superbowl ring, i would sign him up in a 2nd he is much better that Ellison much better

venis2k1
04-28-2009, 12:06 PM
I would like Brooks or Keiaho. But, i agree that we need to upgrade OLB through FA.

kid mickey
04-28-2009, 02:24 PM
I am not sure if we get another linebacker. Didn't anybody hear how much Jauron likes Ellison? LOL though. Somebody needs to replace him in my opinion.

Dying_-2-_Live
04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Foote is our best option at LB

SeatownBillsFan21
04-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Hes wants to play for the Lions

Bruce is Loose
04-28-2009, 03:27 PM
Hes wants to play for the Lions
Link?

... or was this a joke that I dont get?

hydro
04-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Link?

... or was this a joke that I dont get?

Also on the PFT site.

SeatownBillsFan21
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Rotoworld

Free agent LB Larry Foote reiterated Tuesday that he'd "love" to play for the Lions after being cut by Pittsburgh.
"Ain’t no doubt," he said. "I would love to come home. I just bought a house (in Michigan)." MLive.com reported Tuesday that the Lions may have passed on inside linebackers in the draft because they know Foote is coming

kid mickey
04-28-2009, 04:05 PM
I can't believe a whole bunch of players wanna play for the Lions. Its crazy. Wonder if they are gonna go for a 3-4 look or something. They really can make their D whatever they want to make it considering they don't really have a D to begin with.

Ed
04-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Well if he's from Michigan and just bought a house there then that makes sense. Although if the Lions don't want him for some reason, someone should be sure to tell him how close Buffalo is to Detroit.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
And he wants playing time and a big contract

ServoBillieves
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
Since I live in ****sburgh, I've seen a lot of what the guy can do, and he does it well. With such a stacked LB corp in Pittsburgh, a lot of people are sad to see him go but aren't worries. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Joe Fo Sho
04-28-2009, 06:06 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/04/steelers_say_larry_foote_has_n.html

Hmmmm

Rhettoric
04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
I wonder if the Steelers would trade him for Parrish and a late round pick in 2010?

seanbillsfan
04-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Since I live in ****sburgh, I've seen a lot of what the guy can do, and he does it well. With such a stacked LB corp in Pittsburgh, a lot of people are sad to see him go but aren't worries. I'd take him in a heartbeat.
I live here in shi*sburgh too, my boss loves the guy but the steelers always have awesome lbs

ServoBillieves
04-28-2009, 09:13 PM
I live here in shi*sburgh too, my boss loves the guy but the steelers always have awesome lbs

Bell, Harrison, Porter, exceeding far past the current groups, they're always good. It's upsetting -_-

HughC
04-29-2009, 02:33 PM
Steelers have been shopping him since the Super Bowl, but I don't think anybody believes he's worth giving up a draft pick and also paying his salary. Pittsburgh has to dump somebody; as of a week ago they had the least amount of cap space of any team: $440,000. http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/22/salary-cap-space-as-of-april-22/comment-page-2/

Foote says decision to leave Pittsburgh is his (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09118/966120-100.stm)

According to this column from a Pittsburgh paper, Foote was unhappy in Pittsburgh (despite winning a Super Bowl) because of his role as a two down player. He wants to start and be on the field for all three downs. If that's what he is looking for, then his most likely destination would be a bad team like Detroit.

"Timmons came in and I can't grow here any more. They turned me into a two-down linebacker last year. I was stuck in a role.

"I love the team, I love winning, but you can't keep being unhappy. It got to the point where they were not giving me a chance.''

"I don't think it's competition," Foote said nearly a year ago. "I really think it's just a matter of time until they throw him in there, just because of the politics of the game -- and it looks like he can play."

Yet Foote did hold off Timmons all last season. Foote started all 16 regular-season games and three in the post-season. Timmons replaced him in their nickel defense on passing downs.

Do the Bills really want to bring in a guy who is going to be unhappy if he's taken out of the game in certain situations, and is unhappy even when the team wins?