PDA

View Full Version : Trent Edwards on Sirius

The Spaz
04-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Trent Edwards will be on Sirius NFL Radio with Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots today around 1 PM ET.

The Juice Is Loose
04-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Is there a way to listen to Sirius online? Or do you need membership?

SquishDaFish
04-28-2009, 11:09 AM
You need a membership. I think you can purchase an online one onlu. Dont remember. Well worth the money to get Sirius. Commercial free and uncensored. Awesome. check out www.sirius.com

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-28-2009, 12:01 PM
One of the best investments I ever made was Sirius radio.

mikemac2001
04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
loved them until i was charged 4999.00 For one month

and then they expected me to pay it before the month ends so i got huge interest

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-28-2009, 12:22 PM
Listened to the whole interview.

Not too much there, but said how good he thinks the offense can be with the addition of the new tight end.

Commented on Eric Wood adding a lot to the line.

They tried to bait him on the T.O. saga, but he said everything has been great with T.O.

They asked if Marshawn is starting to "get it" and he said he thinks he is from everything he has heard from Marshawn. Said he thinks Marshawn is changing as a person.

They talked about how we started off strong last year and started looking better again at the end of the season.

Trent commented on some turnovers specifically fumbles he needs to work on.

Tatonka
04-28-2009, 12:42 PM
he needed to work on being a quarterback that didnt suck last year.. from the cleveland game on, he was pretty unimpressive after his injury, bar the san diego game. He almost didnt even look like the same qb to be honest. i hope he snaps out of that ****.

BuffaloBillsStampede
04-28-2009, 01:43 PM
I think he will plaus remember Peters was pretty awful last year so that certainly didn't help his return.

Captain Obvious
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
he needed to work on being a quarterback that didnt suck last year.. from the cleveland game on, he was pretty unimpressive after his injury, bar the san diego game. He almost didnt even look like the same qb to be honest. i hope he snaps out of that ****.

He played well against the Chiefs and the Broncos

ddaryl
04-28-2009, 02:17 PM
he needed to work on being a quarterback that didn't suck last year.. from the Cleveland game on, he was pretty unimpressive after his injury, bar the San Diego game. He almost didn't even look like the same QB to be honest. i hope he snaps out of that ****.

being that it was his 1st full year starting... and the "reed" effect was in play I think he will.

there are some positives to Edwards QB play last year that many have chosen to forget.

He helped the Bill maintain a positive time of possession last year, and the Bills had their best ratio in regards to the time the O was on the field compared to the D in a long time.
He was much more effective at sustaining drives then his predecessor
He made significantly less mistakes then his predecessor
He did bring himself out of his funk before the end of season.
He still had decent stats overall for a young QB on weak Bills team with few dependable weapons.I really am not worried about Trent. I feel he will continue to get better for the next few years. He Will also continue to be efficient, and he will keep us in ball games.

In comparison to whom has QB'd for the Bills for the last 10 + years, I saw things in Trent that has alluded Bills QB's since Kelly...

We just have to let him develope and grow and deal with growing pains some.

streetkings01
04-28-2009, 03:11 PM
With the new weapons Trent has this year I'm expecting his numbers to be......

3500+ yards
24+ TD passes
15- INT

Time to put up or shut up! If he does fail at least the new QB we bring in will have some weapons to work with.

BillsWin
04-28-2009, 03:22 PM
This offense has too many weapons this season. If Trent doen't perform it is all on him.

FlyingDutchman
04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
He played well against the Chiefs and the Broncos

thats what i was thinking...then again...it was the chiefs and the broncos...

Typ0
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
I just hope that 100% of Ryan Fitzpatrick is better than 80% of Trent Edwards or Edwards will be too pressured to play through injuries and those injuries won't heal and his performance will seriously suffer.

Tatonka
04-28-2009, 03:34 PM
i thought he played ok against the chiefs and broncos.. but not great.. and like dutchman said.. it was the chiefs and the broncos.. both very bad defenses.

that being said.. i think trent CAN get much bette.. and i am obviously hopng he WILL be much better.. but with all the weapons he has.. if he doesnt throw more than 20 tds.. it is time to draft another qb and try again.

TigerJ
04-28-2009, 09:54 PM
This offense has too many weapons this season. If Trent doen't perform it is all on him.I agree he's loaded with weapons, but the ability of the offensive line to protect him will be a factor.

Kenny
04-28-2009, 10:29 PM
i thought he played ok against the chiefs and broncos.. but not great.. and like dutchman said.. it was the chiefs and the broncos.. both very bad defenses.

that being said.. i think trent CAN get much bette.. and i am obviously hopng he WILL be much better.. but with all the weapons he has.. if he doesnt throw more than 20 tds.. it is time to draft another qb and try again.

I see it happening that way too. If Trent doesnt improve significantly in his 3rd year, and assuming our defense doesnt carry this team, -I see the following things happening:

1. another losing record for the Bills
2. bye bye Dickie
3. new coaching regime
4. new QB brought in (which is usually the case with new regimes).

So it's now or never for Trent (and Jauron).

psubills62
04-28-2009, 11:07 PM
I think Trent has the ability to succeed. I can also see Edwards getting two more years (including 2009) to prove himself, even if a new regime is brought in.

That being said, if Edwards stinks then I'd be a big fan of drafting Jevan Snead out of Ole Miss. He took them from nothing to a pretty big bowl win, and I believe they run a pro-style offense down there.

I do believe that it can click with Edwards though. He really showed something in some of the games last season. Everyone points to the Cleveland game, but I thought he did a pretty damn good job of not losing it completely after throwing three quick INT's. He helped put Buffalo in a spot to win that game. We will certainly have to see.

BillsWin
04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
The good news is that next year's draft is STOCKED with some great QB talent, and I think we have built a pretty deep and talented team, such that maybe all it takes is a first round QB and a first teir OT to protect that signal caller to push the Bills into the big time. Of course, then you are relying on a rookie and that starts a whole mess of problems. hmmmm... I guess the best you can hope for is that this is the year. I hate Dick Jauron, but if he brought this team to the playoffs this year Id say 1-2 more years of dicking around wouldn't be that bad. the team has been built bottom to top since marv became GM then left the position. This IS afterall a nice core of players and even if you add more talent, you have some of the best and most talented young depth in the league... So I can most definetly see the Bills as a powerhouse in the near future, but that all depends on who is the QB for that time frame... Trent has the tools in my opinion, but hes running out of chances to proove himself. dont you agree?

Buddo
04-29-2009, 04:41 AM
Actually, I don't agree. Edwards has shown a lot more of the necessary 'intangibles' in a year and a half, than JP did in 5. Providing he still progresses this year, I see no reason to think he will not become an NFL QB for years to come. You do not need to think in terms of booting him out unless he regresses, like Losman did. Then, fair enough. Personally I don't see that happening. What I can see occurring, is a decent progression, that will have some people calling for his head, simply because he isn't showing HOF ability.
Somewhere along the line, to creat a winning team, you actually have to start backing some of the key players in it.
Just because the Falcons got lucky with Ryan, doesn't mean everyone else will.
Think 'exception that proves the rule'.
You can mention Flacco if you like, but he was a product of a scary D in Baltimore, and actually was asked to do very little, which then exposed him when they hit the playoffs.

Night Train
04-29-2009, 05:04 AM
Providing he still progresses this year, I see no reason to think he will not become an NFL QB for years to come.

Agreed but I still question his long term durability.

You have to keep your head on a swivel and Edwards seems completely oblivious to the blindside pressure, at present. That shot he took in the Cards game was a blitz that was almost straight into his grill & he didn't even see the guy. You can't keep locking on your primary.

Make a read and either get rid of it or check your #2 option quickly. Quit holding onto the ball and he does have that bad habit.

Jaybird
04-29-2009, 09:29 AM

You have to keep your head on a swivel and Edwards seems completely oblivious to the blindside pressure, at present. That shot he took in the Cards game was a blitz that was almost straight into his grill & he didn't even see the guy. You can't keep locking on your primary.

Make a read and either get rid of it or check your #2 option quickly. Quit holding onto the ball and he does have that bad habit.

he saw the guy, he just wanted to get the play off and was willing to take the hit

ddaryl
04-29-2009, 09:33 AM

I think Edwards saw the blitz, it was for the right side not his blind side. he just hung in there and got rid of it at the last moment and accepted the fact he was going to get hit.... He just took a helmet to head hit that knocked him out.

He should have stepped up into the pocket instead of sitting their waiting for his guy to get open, and hopefully that is an area he improves in.

The Spaz
04-29-2009, 09:38 AM
The hit was illegal and he got fined. That has was the main reason he got hurt.

Tatonka
04-29-2009, 09:58 AM
edwards has progressed at times.. and he has looked very brady-like at times.. but there were several games last year, most notably the cleveland game in prime time, where he was worse than awful... it was miserable watching him play.. his timing was so off that it was like the internal clock in his head was totally screwed up. i truly thought it was concussion results because the things that he was doing so terrible were things that he was very good at previously, but we shall find out this year..

i maintain that if he doesnt post 20 or more TDS and less than 15 ints or so.. we need to move on to the next guy..

and buddo.. who cares if he has shown more than JP in a year and a half? JP sucked.. he got 3 years (2.5) and is now gone. trent should be held to the same standard.

justasportsfan
04-29-2009, 10:00 AM
I think Edwards saw the blitz, it was for the right side not his blind side. .
I agree. He was willing to take the hit but but she should've stuck his foot out facing the blitzer.

Saratoga Slim
04-29-2009, 10:39 AM
I agree Tatonka. It's make or break for Trent this year.

I don't think there's any real doubt. If Trent has a bad year, it likely means we don't make the playoffs again and a new coaching staff will be arriving for 2010. New coach will want his own QB......

LifetimeBillsFan
04-30-2009, 05:48 AM
I think that this is a make-or-break year for Edwards, but perhaps not quite in the way that some do.

1.) I don't think that he has to put up any specific numbers because: a.) a lot will depend on how well his offensive line protects him; b.) he will be without his starting RB for at least 2 and likely 3 games; c.) Nelson will help, but he is still going to be a rookie; and d.) TO isn't quite the same receiver as he was and Edwards will need some time to get in sync with him.

2.) The big numbers for Edwards this season will be 1.) his TD-to-INT ratio--the TDs must be on the plus side with a respectable separation; 2.) the percentage of multiple play drives vs 3-and-outs--Edwards has to consistently move the chains and avoid 3-and-outs as much as possible; and, most importantly, the percentage of drives ending in TDs vs those ending in FGs--Edwards has to prove that he can end more drives in the end zone than in field goals by improving this ratio.

Given the difficulty of the schedule, I don't know that Edwards has to win enough games to make the playoffs this season to show that he can be the Bills' QB going forward, especially given the fact that Jauron is the HC, if he can show that he has made progress in his game and can keep the Bills close in most, if not all, of their games.

Just about every good QB, even Brady and P.Manning, will have a bad game or two during the course of a season, so basing an evaluation of a QB on how he looked in his worst game of the season really doesn't make much sense (anymore than basing it solely on his best game of the season). You have to look at the season as a whole and examine it in context, including the impact that injuries to key players may have had (ie, Does D.Brees stink because he had a couple of bad games and missed M.Colston all season? No.).

Overall, Edwards showed progress in his game last season, despite the fact that he struggled mightily when Josh Reed was out of the lineup with an injury. He reached a couple of the benchmarks that you look for a young QB to achieve at this stage in his development in leading the comeback against Oakland after not playing particularly well early and in winning the shootout with Denver on the road with another 4th quarter comeback. Yes, those wins were against poor defenses, but won those games. And, he beat a pretty good San Diego team. His progress was uneven, but there were definite signs of progress. Now, however, he must take his game to the next level.

The biggest test will come in the six games when he will be facing the pretty tough defenses of the other AFC East teams. His offensive line will have to give him time to throw--you can't get a fair read on a QB who is on his back or scrambling to duck the rush every time he tries to throw the ball. And, he is going to need his full complement of receivers in each of those games to give him a fair chance to attack those defenses. But, if he gets protection and has his receivers to work with, Edwards is going to have to show that he has learned how to attack and beat a good 3-4 defense. He is going to have to perform at a high level to do that this season. And, that will be a real, tough test of his ability to be a winning QB in the NFL. It will be very difficult for the Bills to win those games, but Edwards is going to have to at least keep those games close and steal at least a couple of wins in the division to solidify a hold on the QB job.

I don't think that the Bills will give up on Edwards after just three seasons, two and a half as the starter, but, if the team collapses and finishes low enough to be drafting in the Top 10 in next year's draft, it is quite possible that the Bills will draft a QB to compete with him for the starting job in 2010--especially since this could be a fairly deep draft at the position with Tebow, McCoy, Snead and possibly Bradford coming out.