PDA

View Full Version : Whitner update

Jaybird
04-28-2009, 01:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4106986

casdhf
04-28-2009, 03:59 PM
He was arrested trying to leave the club? I always thought he was trying to get back in. That is ******ed.

OpIv37
04-28-2009, 04:07 PM
He was arrested trying to leave the club? I always thought he was trying to get back in. That is ******ed.

No it's not. Saint Whitner was going to use his bare hands to save his friends from the rival gang's bullets so no one called him a punk later on. The cops had no right to try to protect him from a dangerous situation by keeping him inside.

yordad
04-28-2009, 06:13 PM
What a bunch of :bs:

TacklingDummy
04-28-2009, 06:30 PM
I could careless. 16 more games and he's out of Buffalo anyways.

kid mickey
04-28-2009, 06:44 PM
I could careless. 16 more games and he's out of Buffalo anyways.

Wanna bet on that?

TacklingDummy
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Wanna bet on that? Sure. 16 games may be to many. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the roster opening day.

OpIv37
04-28-2009, 08:19 PM
Sure. 16 games may be to many. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the roster opening day.

unfortunately, he will be- if only by process of elimination. I don't like the guy but he's still the best S on the roster, and we really lack depth because Simpson sucks. There's just no way they can cut him this year.

justasportsfan
04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
No it's not. Saint Whitner was going to use his bare hands to save his friends from the rival gang's bullets so no one called him a punk later on. The cops had no right to try to protect him from a dangerous situation by keeping him inside.
just like some people are so quick to defend him, you're so quick to bash him.

OpIv37
04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
just like some people are so quick to defend him, you're so quick to bash him.

someone needs to balance out the defenders.

TacklingDummy
04-28-2009, 09:08 PM
There's just no way they can cut him this year.Some said the same thing about trading Peters.

LABillsFan
04-28-2009, 09:29 PM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fLW5N8e3h7XD/610x.jpg

kid mickey
04-28-2009, 10:32 PM
I've been on two boards BBMB and this one and this board hates on Whitner while BBMB seems to support him. I am a Whitner supporter, I knew he would never be a ballhawk, but I do know that he is a Bob Sanders type player that you just can't cut.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2009, 10:34 PM
someone needs to balance out the defenders.
So which Bill is next on your hate list? You seem to take turn one after another.

kid mickey
04-28-2009, 10:46 PM
Sure. 16 games may be to many. I wouldn't be surprised if he's not on the roster opening day.

LOL. Your a funny guy. You must not watch too much football. A vocal leader who can do everything in the secondary getting cut. Not so sure about that one. If he was as bad as you think the Bills would have already cut him. I wonder why Fewell asks him to do so many different things if he sucks. I don't think you catch the guy out of position to often. I think you just look at the interception total and think he sucks. I don't look at it that way. He is a SS and he does a damn good job at it. You compare him to somebody like Sanders and tell me Sanders is way better and I will bash you. If Whitner was on that team he would be doing the same thing. You gotta look at all the elements. Whitner has a better D to work with and doesn't have to play the run all the time like Sanders does. Which is why you see Sanders getting messed up all the time. He is the only guy making tackles for the team. We have guys like Poz who do that.

OpIv37
04-29-2009, 07:35 AM
So which Bill is next on your hate list? You seem to take turn one after another.

I hate any player who does not live up to expectations and does not help this team win. At the moment, that gives me a lot of choices.

TacklingDummy
04-29-2009, 07:50 AM
LOL. Your a funny guy. You must not watch too much football. A vocal leader who can do everything in the secondary getting cut. If your definition of everything is nothing than you are correct.

Have you ever seen Whitner make a big hit? How many big plays has he made in his career, 1, 2? I'm not counting when he tackles a defender 7 yards in the endzone as a big play.

In 3 years he has 2 INTS, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 Sack.

Maybe he'll pull a Peters and hold out since he only has 2 years left on his contract.

kid mickey
04-29-2009, 12:33 PM
If your definition of everything is nothing than you are correct.

Have you ever seen Whitner make a big hit? How many big plays has he made in his career, 1, 2? I'm not counting when he tackles a defender 7 yards in the endzone as a big play.

In 3 years he has 2 INTS, 2 Forced Fumbles, 1 Sack.

Maybe he'll pull a Peters and hold out since he only has 2 years left on his contract.

I don't know how you think he does nothing. He is a solid player. I watch him play and he is almost never out of position and he is always around the ball. When you have to be a cornerback, a nickle corner, a free safety, and a strong safety all in one season and you do it effectively to where you aren't noticed as a hindrance on the field you must be doing something right. His play may not stick out, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They say if your aren't noticed as a DB you are doing your job. The only time you notice a DB is when either he gets burned bad or he makes a pick. Come back to me when he gets burned bad all year long like Simpson.

OpIv37
04-29-2009, 12:49 PM
I don't know how you think he does nothing. He is a solid player. I watch him play and he is almost never out of position and he is always around the ball. When you have to be a cornerback, a nickle corner, a free safety, and a strong safety all in one season and you do it effectively to where you aren't noticed as a hindrance on the field you must be doing something right. His play may not stick out, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They say if your aren't noticed as a DB you are doing your job. The only time you notice a DB is when either he gets burned bad or he makes a pick. Come back to me when he gets burned bad all year long like Simpson.

if you look at his passes defensed stats, you'll see that he isn't always around the ball, In fact, he's almost never around the ball.

Also, Donte's generally pretty noticeable when he gets his feet out in front of him and gets trucked by a big running back. It happened twice last year.

Is Whitner better than Simpson? Yes, but that's kinda like winning the Special Olympics. You won, but it wasn't exactly against top-tier competition.

Mike
04-29-2009, 02:14 PM
if you look at his passes defensed stats, you'll see that he isn't always around the ball, In fact, he's almost never around the ball.

Also, Donte's generally pretty noticeable when he gets his feet out in front of him and gets trucked by a big running back. It happened twice last year.

Is Whitner better than Simpson? Yes, but that's kinda like winning the Special Olympics. You won, but it wasn't exactly against top-tier competition.

Obviously you are not Okay with exuses and mediocraty....
I think the fans are part of the problem.

If we opened our eyes and confirm what we see things woud quickly change for the better; however, we do the opposite. Many fans consitantly make exuses for average/poor play wich allows and presures the Bills to keep players around longer.

It is like a miopic ilusion, we are so focused on what could be that we totally miss what is. Perfect exaples was JP Losman, the guy was aweful, just aweful and many on this board were still under the hypnotized to believe that the guy was on his way to greatness.

Now we have Donte and a number of other players in the same boad of mediocrity.

kid mickey
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM
He got trucked twice all year long wow. The guy explodes into players. You want him to be some sort of ball hawk and he never will be. Let it go. Whitner is a solid player who gets recognition as a player. I watch what he does on the field. You are a numbers guy. I'm not. I watch what he is doing. He is a strong safety. Since your a numbers guy, stack Bob Sanders numbers up to him and then come back to me. What he contributes to this defense would be missed if he wasn't on the field.

For example in 2008 when he was off the field for the NE, KC, and SF games,
Cassel Managed 234 yds without Whitner in the lineup. While only getting 75 in the season finale when he was. Thigpen managed to get 240 and two tds on the Bills when he wasn't in the lineup. Shaun Hill on a very windy day managed to get 161 yds when he wasn't in. The pass defense is better when he is in. They did get burned by Arizona Miami, and Jets, but his tackle numbers are much higher in those games. Point is he is an assest to this team not a liability.

OpIv37
04-29-2009, 03:55 PM
He got trucked twice all year long wow. The guy explodes into players. You want him to be some sort of ball hawk and he never will be. Let it go. Whitner is a solid player who gets recognition as a player. I watch what he does on the field. You are a numbers guy. I'm not. I watch what he is doing. He is a strong safety. Since your a numbers guy, stack Bob Sanders numbers up to him and then come back to me. What he contributes to this defense would be missed if he wasn't on the field.

For example in 2008 when he was off the field for the NE, KC, and SF games,
Cassel Managed 234 yds without Whitner in the lineup. While only getting 75 in the season finale when he was. Thigpen managed to get 240 and two tds on the Bills when he wasn't in the lineup. Shaun Hill on a very windy day managed to get 161 yds when he wasn't in. The pass defense is better when he is in. They did get burned by Arizona Miami, and Jets, but his tackle numbers are much higher in those games. Point is he is an assest to this team not a liability.

Well, either you don't watch him or your perception is just TERRIBLE. I comment on the guy every week in my post game articles, and if you go back and read them, you'll see that I go buy a LOT more than just numbers. First, a defensive player should NEVER get trucked by a guy carrying the ball. That's inexcusable, especially for someone with a reputation as a "hard hitter." In fact, he does NOT explode into players. He has one big hit in his entire career- the one on Chad Johnson.

As far as the games go, Cassell only had 8 attempts against the Bills. In the game where Donte played, he averaged 9.8 yards per completion. In the game where Donte didn't play, he averaged 7.3. Read it and weep: http://www.nfl.com/players/mattcassel/gamelogs?id=CAS541133

As far as the other games go, you have to consider the quality of offense and who else was and wasn't playing on our D at the time. Football is a team game and you're trying to pin it all on one player.

As usual, the worship of Saint Donte on this board continues. I don't know why people just can't admit this guy is mediocre and hasn't lived up to the status of the #8 pick. Everyone feels the need to spin numbers and use selective memory to justify his lack of performance. It's maddening.

kid mickey
04-29-2009, 04:51 PM
Dude got trucked when he was super low to the ground and was playing with a seperated shoulder. Faulk went right into that shoulder. Whitner isn't a mediocre player. He is a solid player that you hate on because he doesn't get picks. He never was a pick guy. I knew that when we drafted him. He was a guy who was always around the ball at Ohio State, and he is a guy who is always around the ball in the NFL. This year is gonna be a big year for him.

OpIv37
04-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Dude got trucked when he was super low to the ground and was playing with a seperated shoulder. Faulk went right into that shoulder. Whitner isn't a mediocre player. He is a solid player that you hate on because he doesn't get picks. He never was a pick guy. I knew that when we drafted him. He was a guy who was always around the ball at Ohio State, and he is a guy who is always around the ball in the NFL. This year is gonna be a big year for him.

He's not a solid player. He's a player that never lived up to the hype who NEVER makes big plays and is frequently a step late getting to the ball/intended receiver. He's "always around the ball" if you interpret "around the ball" to mean "tackling the guy who just caught a pass for a first down in front of him because, as usual, he was a step too late to actually prevent the reception." And when the big run breaks out, he takes terrible angles (see the '07 Giants game if you want 3 GREAT examples from a SINGLE game).

But for some reason, everyone is convinced that he's "solid". They blame the system for his lack of impact on the field. They defend Saint Donte when he gives other teams bulletin board fodder by making BS guarantees. They defend Saint Donte when he gets a 15 yard penalty for tackling a guy 8 yards into the endzone instead of, I don't know, maybe preventing the touchdown in the first place. They defend Saint Donte when he gets in an off the field incident while boozing it up at a club.

I just don't get it. The guy is average at best but people on this board simply REFUSE to see it. They claim they watch him, but they see what they want to see instead of what Donte actually did (or more commonly, didn't do). He's a #8 overall draft pick who is average on the field- I'll stop bashing the guy if people on this board could just friggin admit that and stop defending him as if he's some kind of superstar.

justasportsfan
04-29-2009, 09:29 PM
As usual, the worship of Saint Donte on this board continues. I don't know why people just can't admit this guy is mediocre and hasn't lived up to the status of the #8 pick. Everyone feels the need to spin numbers and use selective memory to justify his lack of performance. It's maddening.weird, I only read one guy call Whitner solid. Thats hardly worshiping anyone. You have a way of twisting words due to your freakish hatred for a player, it's scary.

OpIv37
04-29-2009, 10:28 PM
weird, I only read one guy call Whitner solid. Thats hardly worshiping anyone. You have a way of twisting words due to your freakish hatred for a player, it's scary.

Go back and check the thread about his arrest and see how many people are defending him. Go back and check the thread about when he tackled that guy in the endzone to see how many people defended him. Saint Donte can do no wrong. I swear, half the people on the board could come home to find Saint Donte banging their wife/gf and they'd blame Jauron for not giving the players enough time to go out and get laid.

justasportsfan
04-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Go back and check the thread about his arrest and see how many people are defending him. Go back and check the thread about when he tackled that guy in the endzone to see how many people defended him. Saint Donte can do no wrong. I swear, half the people on the board could come home to find Saint Donte banging their wife/gf and they'd blame Jauron for not giving the players enough time to go out and get laid.
why dig up a thread thats long gone just so you can say people are worshiping him? No ones worshiping him in this thread ,is there? Looks to me you want to make it seem like there are just so you have something to argue about. You are so obsessed with hating on him it's scary.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 12:03 AM
why dig up a thread thats long gone just so you can say people are worshiping him? No ones worshiping him in this thread ,is there? Looks to me you want to make it seem like there are just so you have something to argue about. You are so obsessed with hating on him it's scary.

I can't agree with you more. This guy borderline hates just about every Bills player though. I still can't figure out why he's a fan.

OpIv37
04-30-2009, 01:40 PM
I can't agree with you more. This guy borderline hates just about every Bills player though. I still can't figure out why he's a fan.

Obviously, logic isn't your strong suit.

Because I'm a fan, I want this team to win. Therefore, I hate the players who aren't doing their jobs and thus aren't helping the team win. Supporting a player who holds the team back just because they wear the team's uniform is counter-intuitive. I liked the team long before it was made up of this current crop of mediocrity, and I'm really sick of the guys that are holding the team back. Whitner and Schobel top the list- big money, big expectations, at best average performance.

OpIv37
04-30-2009, 01:52 PM
weird, I only read one guy call Whitner solid. Thats hardly worshiping anyone. You have a way of twisting words due to your freakish hatred for a player, it's scary.

Really? This isn't worship?

LOL. Your a funny guy. You must not watch too much football. A vocal leader who can do everything in the secondary getting cut. Not so sure about that one. If he was as bad as you think the Bills would have already cut him. I wonder why Fewell asks him to do so many different things if he sucks. I don't think you catch the guy out of position to often. I think you just look at the interception total and think he sucks. I don't look at it that way. He is a SS and he does a damn good job at it. You compare him to somebody like Sanders and tell me Sanders is way better and I will bash you. If Whitner was on that team he would be doing the same thing. You gotta look at all the elements. Whitner has a better D to work with and doesn't have to play the run all the time like Sanders does. Which is why you see Sanders getting messed up all the time. He is the only guy making tackles for the team. We have guys like Poz who do that.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Obviously, logic isn't your strong suit.

Because I'm a fan, I want this team to win. Therefore, I hate the players who aren't doing their jobs and thus aren't helping the team win. Supporting a player who holds the team back just because they wear the team's uniform is counter-intuitive. I liked the team long before it was made up of this current crop of mediocrity, and I'm really sick of the guys that are holding the team back. Whitner and Schobel top the list- big money, big expectations, at best average performance.

W/E. You hate on everything the Bills do. And honestly just like me all you got is an opinion. I happen to think you have the worst opinions out there. Bills brass probably happens to think you probably have some pretty bad opinions as well. Perry Fewell who runs this D, happens to think Whitner is one of the best players on the field. He raves about the things he can do. I think I will take the opinion of the coach over a guy who sits on the computer and *****es. This team ranked 14th defensively last year. Solely because of the play by Stroud, Williams, Whitner, Poz, McKelvin, Mitchell, and McGee. Greer was doing good untill he got hurt. They obviously didn't think they needed Greer so they let him walk. That means 4 guys didn't do their jobs. Ellison, Schobel, Kelsay, Simpson. Schobel gets one more shot this year cause he was hurt, but I still think they need another DE next year.

OpIv37
04-30-2009, 02:56 PM
W/E. You hate on everything the Bills do. And honestly just like me all you got is an opinion. I happen to think you have the worst opinions out there. Bills brass probably happens to think you probably have some pretty bad opinions as well. Perry Fewell who runs this D, happens to think Whitner is one of the best players on the field. He raves about the things he can do. I think I will take the opinion of the coach over a guy who sits on the computer and *****es. This team ranked 14th defensively last year. Solely because of the play by Stroud, Williams, Whitner, Poz, McKelvin, Mitchell, and McGee. Greer was doing good untill he got hurt. They obviously didn't think they needed Greer so they let him walk. That means 4 guys didn't do their jobs. Ellison, Schobel, Kelsay, Simpson. Schobel gets one more shot this year cause he was hurt, but I still think they need another DE next year.

I hate on everything the Bills do because nothing they do ever works. A fan who wants the team to win shouldn't defend the players, coaches and FO personnel who are screwing up and keeping them from winning. I've been posting on this board for a LONG time and my opinions have taken a lot of flak, yet they've proven to be surprisingly accurate in the long run. You can take Perry Fewell's opinion over mine if you like, but keep in mind that Perry Fewell has to keep his players happy and be politically correct when he speaks to the media. And keep in mind that all Perry Fewell has done is be DC for a D that has put up some pretty paltry numbers. So, you can take him as an authoritative source if you wish, but he certainly hasn't proven himself to be authoritative.

I agree we will still need a DE next year, regardless of how Maybin does.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:43 PM
That's probably the only thing we agree on. That we need a DE next year as well.