X-Era
04-28-2009, 05:18 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/1119/nfl_a_dclark_400.jpg

From WalterFootball.com:
http://walterfootball.com/college/PennState_logo.gif Daryll Clark, Penn State
Height: 6-2. Weight: 231.
Projected 40 Time: 4.65.
Projected Round (2010): 5.
2/4/09: A strong-armed quarterback who can move the chains with his legs. Daryll Clark threw for 2,597 yards, 19 touchdowns and six picks as a first-year starter. His YPA (8.1) was very impressive.

Comments:
9/5/09- vs. Akron- Nice TD throw on the run. Throws a tight spiral, quick release, throws a fast ball.

09/25/09- vs Iowa- Makes fairly accurate throws,decent mechanics, good ball speed. What he will do is force things and be inaccurate at times. Throws a pick directly at the defender... without any traffic. Will make head-scratching throws at times. Its not that he gets rattled in the pocket; he doesnt. Its that he only has average throwing ability. Is an average leader as well. I was very high on him and now I think hes just average. My feeling at this point is that he could develop into a solid game managing QB in the NFL but may never be a franchise type QB.

10/24/09- vs. Mich- Plays in a pro-style offense. Nice game so far. Throws the ball well, on target. Finds the open guy well. Has good presence in the pocket.

PSUBills62's comments:

Update:

vs. Akron: 29/40 (72.5%) 353 yards, 8.8 YPA, 3 TD, 1 INT
vs. Syracuse: 20/31 (64.5%), 240 yards, 7.7 YPA, 3 TD, 1 INT

Average fan's analysis:

The offense seems to be going through some growing pains, as they've been unable to move the ball against lesser opponents. They've done a very good job of distributing the ball among the various WR's, and it looks as if one WR may be featured each game. Moye (and to a lesser extent, Powell) was featured in the first game, with Zug the main target in the second.

Clark's completion percentage is not quite as good as I'd like it to be, especially early in the season. The WR's haven't let him down as much as some people would expect, with all new starters in that corps. The two INT's are not ones that I would blame on Clark. The first INT was more of a poor decision that took an unfortunate bounce off of the receiver. The second INT was more on the receiver, in my opinion. The WR went up, didn't quite grab the ball at the highest point, and allowed the DB to catch up and essentially tear the ball out of his hands. Although the ball was a bit underthrown, that INT shouldn't have happened.

There have been numerous designed rollouts that utilize Clark's mobility to the benefit of the passing game. One aspect of Clark that I absolutely love is his ability to stand in the pocket and take the hit right after he makes a good throw. Even if a defender is barreling at him with no restraint, he'll coolly throw the ball to a receiver, often for a first down. That is one thing that, to me, distinguishes him from a lot of QB's.

His decision-making doesn't seem to have improved much from last year. However, that and his low completion percentage could be partially blamed on a new (inexperienced) WR group. The WR's seem inconsistent, showing flashes of getting open and making big plays, but sometimes they don't seem to want to separate or use their size to snatch balls out of the air.

I think the offense is still getting their feet wet, and I have a feeling they still haven't opened up the playbook (with the screen passes, etc.). The real tests are coming up soon with Iowa and OSU on the slate at home. Clark may be depended on to lead the Lions to victory in the tough games, as the running game is practically nonexistent compared to last year.

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Publisher.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Publisher 12"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5Cmain%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtmlclip1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--> <style> v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} b\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);} .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);} </style> <![endif]--><!--[if pub]><xml> <b:Publication type="OplPub" oty="68" oh="256"> <b:OhPrintBlock priv="30E">281</b:OhPrintBlock> <b:DptlPageDimensions type="OplPt" priv="1211"> <b:Xl priv="104">7772400</b:Xl> <b:Yl priv="204">10058400</b:Yl> </b:DptlPageDimensions> <b:OhGallery priv="180E">259</b:OhGallery> <b:OhFancyBorders priv="190E">261</b:OhFancyBorders> <b:OhCaptions priv="1A0E">257</b:OhCaptions> <b:OhQuillDoc priv="200E">276</b:OhQuillDoc> <b:OhMailMergeData priv="210E">262</b:OhMailMergeData> <b:OhColorScheme priv="220E">279</b:OhColorScheme> <b:DwNextUniqueOid priv="2304">1</b:DwNextUniqueOid> <b:IdentGUID priv="2A07">0``````````````````````</b:IdentGUID> <b:DpgSpecial priv="2C03">5</b:DpgSpecial> <b:CTimesEdited priv="3C04">1</b:CTimesEdited> <b:NuDefaultUnitsEx priv="4104">0</b:NuDefaultUnitsEx> <b:OhImpositionEngine priv="440E">285</b:OhImpositionEngine> </b:Publication> <b:PrinterInfo type="OplPrb" oty="75" oh="281"> <b:OhColorSepBlock priv="30E">282</b:OhColorSepBlock> <b:OpmOutsidePrintMode priv="B04">1</b:OpmOutsidePrintMode> <b:FInitComplete priv="1400">False</b:FInitComplete> <b:DpiX priv="2203">0</b:DpiX> <b:DpiY priv="2303">0</b:DpiY> <b:DxlOverlap priv="2404">0</b:DxlOverlap> <b:DylOverlap priv="2504">0</b:DylOverlap> </b:PrinterInfo> <b:ColorSeperationInfo type="OplCsb" oty="79" oh="282"> <b:Plates type="OplCsp" priv="214"> <b:OplCsp type="OplCsp" priv="11"> <b:EcpPlate type="OplEcp" priv="213"> <b:Color priv="104">-1</b:Color> </b:EcpPlate> </b:OplCsp> </b:Plates> <b:DzlOverprintMost priv="304">304800</b:DzlOverprintMost> <b:CprOverprintMin priv="404">243</b:CprOverprintMin> <b:FKeepawayTrap priv="700">True</b:FKeepawayTrap> <b:CprTrapMin1 priv="904">128</b:CprTrapMin1> <b:CprTrapMin2 priv="A04">77</b:CprTrapMin2> <b:CprKeepawayMin priv="B04">255</b:CprKeepawayMin> <b:DzlTrap priv="C04">3175</b:DzlTrap> <b:DzlIndTrap priv="D04">3175</b:DzlIndTrap> <b:PctCenterline priv="E04">70</b:PctCenterline> <b:FMarksRegistration priv="F00">True</b:FMarksRegistration> <b:FMarksJob priv="1000">True</b:FMarksJob> <b:FMarksDensity priv="1100">True</b:FMarksDensity> <b:FMarksColor priv="1200">True</b:FMarksColor> <b:FLineScreenDefault priv="1300">True</b:FLineScreenDefault> </b:ColorSeperationInfo> <b:TextDocProperties type="OplDocq" oty="91" oh="276"> <b:OhPlcqsb priv="20E">278</b:OhPlcqsb> <b:EcpSplitMenu type="OplEcp" priv="A13"> <b:Color>134217728</b:Color> </b:EcpSplitMenu> </b:TextDocProperties> <b:StoryBlock type="OplPlcQsb" oty="101" oh="278"> <b:IqsbMax priv="104">1</b:IqsbMax> <b:Rgqsb type="OplQsb" priv="214"> <b:OplQsb type="OplQsb" priv="11"> <b:Qsid priv="104">9</b:Qsid> <b:TomfCopyfitBase priv="80B">-9999996.000000</b:TomfCopyfitBase> <b:TomfCopyfitBase2 priv="90B">-9999996.000000</b:TomfCopyfitBase2> </b:OplQsb> </b:Rgqsb> </b:StoryBlock> <b:ColorScheme type="OplSccm" oty="92" oh="279"> <b:Cecp priv="104">8</b:Cecp> <b:Rgecp type="OplEcp" priv="214"> <b:OplEcp priv="F">Empty</b:OplEcp> <b:OplEcp type="OplEcp" priv="111"> <b:Color>16711680</b:Color> </b:OplEcp> <b:OplEcp type="OplEcp" priv="211"> <b:Color>52479</b:Color> </b:OplEcp> <b:OplEcp type="OplEcp" priv="311"> <b:Color>26367</b:Color> </b:OplEcp> <b:OplEcp type="OplEcp" priv="411"> <b:Color>13421772</b:Color> </b:OplEcp> <b:OplEcp type="OplEcp" priv="511"> <b:Color>16737792</b:Color> </b:OplEcp> <b:OplEcp type="OplEcp" priv="611"> <b:Color>13382502</b:Color> </b:OplEcp> <b:OplEcp type="OplEcp" priv="711"> <b:Color>16777215</b:Color> </b:OplEcp> </b:Rgecp> <b:SzSchemeName priv="618">Bluebird</b:SzSchemeName> </b:ColorScheme> <![if pub11]> <![endif]> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if pub]><xml> <b:Page type="OplPd" oty="67" oh="265"> <b:PtlvOrigin type="OplPt" priv="511"> <b:Xl>22860000</b:Xl> <b:Yl>22860000</b:Yl> </b:PtlvOrigin> <b:Oid priv="605">(`@`````````</b:Oid> <b:OhoplWebPageProps priv="90E">266</b:OhoplWebPageProps> <b:OhpdMaster priv="D0D">263</b:OhpdMaster> <b:PgtType priv="1004">5</b:PgtType> <b:PtlvOriginEx type="OplPt" priv="1111"> <b:Xl>110185200</b:Xl> <b:Yl>110185200</b:Yl> </b:PtlvOriginEx> </b:Page> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Arial; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4; mso-font-signature:-536839425 -1073711037 9 0 1073742335 -65536;} @font-face {font-family:Calibri; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4; mso-font-signature:-1610611985 1073750139 0 0 536871071 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin-right:0pt; text-indent:0pt; margin-top:0pt; margin-bottom:10.0pt; line-height:114%; text-align:left; font-family:Calibri; mso-default-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-latin-font-family:Calibri; mso-greek-font-family:Calibri; mso-cyrillic-font-family:Calibri; mso-armenian-font-family:Calibri; mso-hebrew-font-family:Calibri; mso-arabic-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-devanagari-font-family:Mangal; mso-bengali-font-family:Vrinda; mso-gurmukhi-font-family:Raavi; mso-oriya-font-family:Kalinga; mso-tamil-font-family:Latha; mso-telugu-font-family:Gautami; mso-kannada-font-family:Tunga; mso-malayalam-font-family:Kartika; mso-thai-font-family:"Angsana New"; mso-lao-font-family:DokChampa; mso-tibetan-font-family:"Microsoft Himalaya"; mso-georgian-font-family:Sylfaen; mso-hangul-font-family:Batang; mso-kana-font-family:"MS Mincho"; mso-bopomofo-font-family:PMingLiU; mso-han-font-family:SimSun; mso-halfwidthkana-font-family:"MS Mincho"; mso-syriac-font-family:"Estrangelo Edessa"; mso-thaana-font-family:"MV Boli"; mso-sinhala-font-family:"Iskoola Pota"; mso-ethiopic-font-family:Nyala; mso-cherokee-font-family:"Plantagenet Cherokee"; mso-canadianabor-font-family:"Euphemia Regular CAS"; mso-khmer-font-family:DaunPenh; mso-mongolian-font-family:"Mongolian Baiti"; mso-currency-font-family:Calibri; mso-latinext-font-family:Calibri; font-size:11.0pt; color:black; mso-font-kerning:14.0pt; mso-char-tracking:100%; mso-font-width:100%;} ol {margin-top:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:-2197in;} ul {margin-top:0in; margin-bottom:0in; margin-left:-2197in;} @page {mso-hyphenate:auto;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:shapedefaults v:ext="edit" spidmax="3075" fill="f" fillcolor="white [7]" strokecolor="black [0]"> <v:fill color="white [7]" color2="white [7]" on="f"/> <v:stroke color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"> <o:left v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/> <o:top v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/> <o:right v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/> <o:bottom v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/> <o:column v:ext="view" color="black [0]" color2="white [7]"/> </v:stroke> <v:shadow color="#ccc [4]"/> <v:textbox inset="2.88pt,2.88pt,2.88pt,2.88pt"/> <o:colormenu v:ext="edit" fillcolor="blue [1]" strokecolor="black [0]" shadowcolor="#ccc [4]"/> </o:shapedefaults><o:shapelayout v:ext="edit"> <o:idmap v:ext="edit" data="1"/> </o:shapelayout></xml><![endif]--> [I]Summary:<o:p></o:p>
Daryll Clark is a better athlete than quarterback. He can make all the NFL throws, he has a good ability to move around in the pocket. PSUBills62 comments, “There have been numerous designed rollouts that utilize Clark's mobility to the benefit of the passing game. One aspect of Clark that I absolutely love is his ability to stand in the pocket and take the hit right after he makes a good throw. Even if a defender is barreling at him with no restraint, he'll coolly throw the ball to a receiver, often for a first down. That is one thing that, to me, distinguishes him from a lot of QB's… His decision-making doesn't seem to have improved much from last year. However, that and his low completion percentage could be partially blamed on a new (inexperienced) WR group. The WR's seem inconsistent, showing flashes of getting open and making big plays, but sometimes they don't seem to want to separate or use their size to snatch balls out of the air.” He can look very confused at times, and can make the offense look chaotic. His athleticism will get him out of jams when the pocket collapses or when he needs to make a throw on the run. He will make nice plays by shear will. Clark may never develop into a quality leader of an offense. If he can learn the mental side of the game, and improve his decision making on a consistent basis, he could be a solid starter in the NFL.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Links:
http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/clark_daryll00.html
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/565469
http://hspennsylvania.scout.com/a.z?s=407&p=8&c=1&nid=1633566
http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2009/06/psu_quarterback_daryll_clark_c.html
http://collegefootball.about.com/od/theheismantrophy/ig/2009-Heisman-Trophy-Candidates.--Rj/Daryll-Clark.htm

psubills62
09-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Update:

Average fan's analysis:

The offense seems to be going through some growing pains, as they've been unable to move the ball against lesser opponents. They've done a very good job of distributing the ball among the various WR's, and it looks as if one WR may be featured each game. Moye (and to a lesser extent, Powell) was featured in the first game, with Zug the main target in the second.

Clark's completion percentage is not quite as good as I'd like it to be, especially early in the season. The WR's haven't let him down as much as some people would expect, with all new starters in that corps. The two INT's are not ones that I would blame on Clark. The first INT was more of a poor decision that took an unfortunate bounce off of the receiver. The second INT was more on the receiver, in my opinion. The WR went up, didn't quite grab the ball at the highest point, and allowed the DB to catch up and essentially tear the ball out of his hands. Although the ball was a bit underthrown, that INT shouldn't have happened.

There have been numerous designed rollouts that utilize Clark's mobility to the benefit of the passing game. One aspect of Clark that I absolutely love is his ability to stand in the pocket and take the hit right after he makes a good throw. Even if a defender is barreling at him with no restraint, he'll coolly throw the ball to a receiver, often for a first down. That is one thing that, to me, distinguishes him from a lot of QB's.

His decision-making doesn't seem to have improved much from last year. However, that and his low completion percentage could be partially blamed on a new (inexperienced) WR group. The WR's seem inconsistent, showing flashes of getting open and making big plays, but sometimes they don't seem to want to separate or use their size to snatch balls out of the air.

I think the offense is still getting their feet wet, and I have a feeling they still haven't opened up the playbook (with the screen passes, etc.). The real tests are coming up soon with Iowa and OSU on the slate at home. Clark may be depended on to lead the Lions to victory in the tough games, as the running game is practically nonexistent compared to last year.

X-Era
09-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Update:

Average fan's analysis:

:clap:

Input added to the profile thread.

Id love to hear your "scouting" of Bowman, Lee, Royster, etc...

:up: