PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating the Picks

kid mickey
04-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Aaron Maybin 6'4 249lbs- At 21 years old the sky is the limit for this work hard athlete. Unfortunately as limitless as his potential is it comes with a big risk. While garnering 12 sacks and 19 stops for a loss in the Big 10, he was nothing but a model character citizen off the field. The problem is he only did it for one year. A redshirt sophomore with two more years of eligibility could have stood to work on his overall game for one more year in college. He has a very quick step off the line and is good at keeping bigger offensive linemen off his pads because of his freakishly long arms. He isn't an exceptional player against the run, but he has the potential to get bigger and play better against the run. Many experts have him as the best pass rusher in this draft. The only thing is he was rushing passers at 230 pounds. Can he do it at 250+? There are no questions about his motor as he is constantly hustling to the ball. The only thing that is scary is the one year thing. He can step right in right away and play. While there is no question he has the potential to be an All-Pro, there are questions whether he can do it at the weight the Bills want him at and if it wasn't a fluke because he only did it one year.

My evaluation B+

Eric Wood 6'4 310lbs- This kid was highly touted as the number two center in this years draft. With the earlier signing of Geoff Hangartner in FA the Bills see him as a guard for now. He has been the anchor on the line for Louisville the last 3 years. He is an excellent pancake blocker who may struggle at first with the DT's that he will be facing at the NFL level which is why he is projected to guard his first year in the pro's. If he wasn't facing monsterous NT's in the AFC East he could step in and be a day one starter at Center. He plays with a nasty attitude and loves to finish defenders. He works to the whistle and fits right into what the Bills want to bring to this line, attitude.

My evaluation A-

Jairus Byrd 5'10 207lbs- This kid is a ballhawk. He has racked up 17 interceptions over the course of his career, 5 in his final year of college competition. Don't think he can't tackle either as he finsihed fourth on the team with 83 stops. His father Gill Byrd, was an accomplished DB in the NFL 80's so you know the kid has good bloodlines. He isn't the fastest DB out there, running in the 4.5-4.6 area, but he has plenty of speed for the transition to play FS at the pro level. This kid could be the next Ed Reed. He may not be able to take it to the house like Reed, but he can definitely get the ball with his great closing speed. Combining him with Whitner could make the Bills deep secondary the total package.

My evaluation B+

Andy Levitre 6'3 305lbs- The guy has a devestating hand punch. He will be springing holes for RB's for years to come. He may not be the ultimate pass protector, but that part of his game is good enough to where he wouldn't be a liability there. He plays nasty and should get the first look at LG. His height is detrimental to him so he probably won't be a tackle in the NFL, but you gotta believe that if he was bit taller and had longer arms he would be one mean RT in the NFL. Has never missed a game in college so durability is not an issue.

My evaluation B

Shawn Nelson 6'5 240- This guy is as consitent as they come. He makes tough catches and was the centerpiece of Southern Miss' offense. He may not be the most polished run blocker, but he is definitely a receiving threat. A TE with that production and a 4.56 forty time in the fourth round is a major steal. He finished his 2008 season with 53 grabs for 557 yds and 3 tds. He can definitely come in from day one and stretch the seam for the Bills. He may not get a bunch of balls thrown his way, but he can be a definite decoy. I love the pick where they snagged him and think he can actually contribute more than Brandon Pettigrew does. Just a pure athlete.

My evaluation A-

Nic Harris 6'2 234- This is my favorite pick in the draft. This guy has supreme instincts and is always around the ball. A lot of people were probably like WTF another safety, but make no mistake about it the Bills are looking at this guy to play linebacker. He is so versatile. He has played every defensive position in college except the d-line. He is a sure tackler, with solid coverage skills and is not small for the linebacker postion. He finished his senior season with 75 tackles 4 behind the line, added three forced fumbles and 1 pick while breaking up 6 others. At 6'2 and his frame he could put on additional 10 lbs and not lose any speed. I like his ability to diagnose plays quickly and fly to the football. He fits in perfectly in what the Bills could use him for. I see him coming in and quickly supplanting Ellison at the sam spot. This guy is really going to contribute to this defense. Watch for him to cover the flat areas and come after the QB. I absolutely love this pick because there will be no more horrid play at the position. I think he has Derrick Brooks type potential. He is no Cato June. Don't make that assumption, he in my opinion is much better than June. He is just so technically sound that I couldn't believe he was still on the board in round 5. I am so glad they didn't get a guy like Marcus Freeman who actually is a Cato June type guy. Great pick.

My evaluation A+

The last two guys I don't see coming in as starters so I am not gonna evaluate them. I know Cary Harris has some durability issues and Ellis Lankster has some off the field issues. Neither one may make the final cuts, but I wish the best of luck to both of them.

kernowboy
04-29-2009, 12:38 PM
I;d actually seen Max Unger as the No2 on every draft board