X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

What happens at tackle?

The Buffalo Bills addressed their offensive line early and more than once on day one of the NFL draft last weekend. They selected C/G Eric Wood in round one and traded up to land G Andy Levitre in round two. But the one position that was expected by many to be addressed by the Bills, and was not, was offensive tackle.

Buffalo’s brain trust however, never intended to draft an offensive tackle last weekend feeling they already had several plausible options on the roster.

“We went into the draft having discussed that after the trade of Jason (Peters),” said Bills head coach Dick Jauron. “Do we feel like we have to have a tackle? And I think we all agreed, that we’re not going to stray far from our grades just to take a tackle. We felt we have guys that can play there so there’s no sense in passing up a player we think is significantly better at another position just to feel like we’ve plugged a number in. We weren’t going to do that.”

And they didn’t.

As things look now, there’s a strong likelihood that Langston Walker moves permanently from his right tackle position over to the left side to fill the void left by Jason Peters. The team’s most experienced tackle, Walker deftly demonstrated he could flip to the other side when forced to do so for the season opener last season.

• EDS
    • Jan 2003

Re: What happens at tackle?

I think we all just hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

Walker-Wood-Hangartner-Levitre-Butler

The only variance I could see would be somehow Kirk Chambers playing either RG or RT and kicking Butler back inside.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by pinkdogg32
        Yup. Walker on left, Butler moves outside on the right, then we pray that Trent makes it through September with reshuffled tackles and no experience on the interior.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
          • May 2003

Wood and Levitre are rookies, but at least both played a ton of college games in good programs, and were among the top rated guys at their positions. Both are known to be smart and have nasty streaks, which are very good traits for interior linemen. Hangartner has 5 years experience, I believe.
          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
            Wood and Levitre are rookies, but at least both played a ton of college games in good programs, and were among the top rated guys at their positions. Both are known to be smart and have nasty streaks, which are very good traits for interior linemen. Hangartner has 5 years experience, I believe.
            less than one year as a starter and he was only the starter due to injury.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by OpIv37
              he has started 27 games, not consecutively - thats probably what you were getting at. but just because he hasnt been named starter for full seasons doesnt mean he doesnt have some starting experience.
              Last edited by Pinkerton Security; 04-29-2009, 09:07 AM.

Comment

• psubills62
                Legendary Zoner
                • Sep 2008

Experience is experience. Whether or not the guy started, he still played a good deal for the Panthers. I don't see why it matters if he was a starter or not.
                "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• ddaryl
                  Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                  • Jan 2005

Originally posted by pinkdogg32

The only variance I could see would be somehow Kirk Chambers playing either RG or RT and kicking Butler back inside.

Bell could could earn a spot... but I think they will still bring him along slowly.

I look forward to the OL training camp preaseason battle

Comment

• jamze132
                    • Jun 2003

I wouldn't move Butler or Walker from their current positions. We need to have as much continuity as possible. Obviously one of the rooks who was drafted on Day 1 will end up being a ****ing BU. Still no idea who's going to play LT, but I would keep the right side of the line intact.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                      I wouldn't move Butler or Walker from their current positions. We need to have as much continuity as possible. Obviously one of the rooks who was drafted on Day 1 will end up being a ****ing BU. Still no idea who's going to play LT, but I would keep the right side of the line intact.
                      no, no, no. Try to keep up.

"Continuity" was last offseason's argument about how the OL was going to improve in the run game without actually changing anything.

This off-season, change is a good thing- the more change, the better. The type of change or the experience of the players who were changed is irrelevant- the more change on the OL, the better!
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• kid mickey
                        • Apr 2009

Op is the biggest negative nancy on this board. I almost don't understand why he isn't a Baltimore fan considering hes from Virginia. I mean I think he just lives to complain. I haven't seen put a positive post out about the Bills since I've joined this board. He hates on Whitner, he thinks we should've got Orakpo, he thinks this line is gonna be horrendus, I mean this guy is like the ultimate pessimist. I'm not sure but I think every morning when he wakes up somebody already ***** in his cereal. I don't know how you do it man.
                        Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• Captain Obvious
                          I can feel your anger.I can feel your hate. Give in to the DARK SIDE! With every neg you become MINE
                          • Jul 2005

"Continuity" was last offseason's argument about how the OL was going to improve in the run game without actually changing anything.

This off-season, change is a good thing- the more change, the better. The type of change or the experience of the players who were changed is irrelevant- the more change on the OL, the better!
                          Which means last year you wanted changes and this year you're pleading for continuity

Here to point out the obvious....

Comment

• psubills62
                            Legendary Zoner
                            • Sep 2008

I was one of the people preaching continuity. Whether or not Peters ruined it is irrelevant at this point. I know that I was mistaken about continuity last year.

Right now I think continuity is overrated. I'd rather have upgrades at the OL positions than sacrifice quality for "continuity." Will our re-shuffled line work this year? I don't know. But I do know that our line, to me, seems to be an upgrade. I know it doesn't seem that way to you.
                            "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                            - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• jamze132
                              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by kid mickey
                              Op is the biggest negative nancy on this board. I almost don't understand why he isn't a Baltimore fan considering hes from Virginia. I mean I think he just lives to complain. I haven't seen put a positive post out about the Bills since I've joined this board. He hates on Whitner, he thinks we should've got Orakpo, he thinks this line is gonna be horrendus, I mean this guy is like the ultimate pessimist. I'm not sure but I think every morning when he wakes up somebody already ***** in his cereal. I don't know how you do it man.
                              You don't understand Op and his sense of humor, so please refrain from making stupid comments.

Comment

Working...
                              X