PDA

View Full Version : Most Intriguing Dark Horse Bills Players

Mahdi
04-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I was just looking over the Bills roster and there are a few names that stuck out to me as potential contributors who we may not see coming....

P.K. Sam -WR- We have a lot of receivers but this guy has great size (6'3 217) and had pretty good production in college. The Pats drafted him 164th overall. He was a returner in college and ran out of the backfield as well. He could challenge Reed and Stevie for #3 and #4 spots.

Jonathan Scott - OT - Jonathan Scott was highly regarded coming out of Texas a couple years ago. Has real good size 6'6 318 and very athletic. He is going to get his shot in camp to win the battle for RT. Out of all the OTs he and Bell are the most athletic which gives him a chance.

Marcus Smith - DE/DT - Dont know much about this guy but there are definitely question marks at the DT spot for us. We have yet to find a guy who can be a penetrator. Marcus Smith has nice size at 6'4 295 and was a DE by trade. He probably has above average DT speed which could make him a nice fit as a 3-technique.

Chris Ellis - DE - If he gained enough from last season he might just be able to get a lot of playing time especially with Schobel's foot being a question mark. If Schobel misses any mini camp time or TC time Ellis will have a shot at surpassing Denney and Kelsay on the depth chart.

Vince Hall - LB - Vince was a stand out player at Va Tech. He was a tackling machine there and at 6'0 238 he is bigger than most of the LBs on our roster. He can definitely challenge for the OLB spot since it seems to be very much 'up in the air'.

Anyone have others to add?

ddaryl
04-29-2009, 11:40 AM
the million $$$ can't wait to see these guys in training camp questions ???

I sincerely hope a few of our projects make the step up, as I am sure the rest of you are too.

Nighthawk
04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
I was just looking over the Bills roster and there are a few names that stuck out to me as potential contributors who we may not see coming....

P.K. Sam -WR- We have a lot of receivers but this guy has great size (6'3 217) and had pretty good production in college. The Pats drafted him 164th overall. He was a returner in college and ran out of the backfield as well. He could challenge Reed and Stevie for #3 and #4 spots.

Jonathan Scott - OT - Jonathan Scott was highly regarded coming out of Texas a couple years ago. Has real good size 6'6 318 and very athletic. He is going to get his shot in camp to win the battle for RT. Out of all the OTs he and Bell are the most athletic which gives him a chance.

Marcus Smith - DE/DT - Dont know much about this guy but there are definitely question marks at the DT spot for us. We have yet to find a guy who can be a penetrator. Marcus Smith has nice size at 6'4 295 and was a DE by trade. He probably has above average DT speed which could make him a nice fit as a 3-technique.

Chris Ellis - DE - If he gained enough from last season he might just be able to get a lot of playing time especially with Schobel's foot being a question mark. If Schobel misses any mini camp time or TC time Ellis will have a shot at surpassing Denney and Kelsay on the depth chart.

Vince Hall - LB - Vince was a stand out player at Va Tech. He was a tackling machine there and at 6'0 238 he is bigger than most of the LBs on our roster. He can definitely challenge for the OLB spot since it seems to be very much 'up in the air'.

I forgot they picked up Vince Hall during the season last season. I'm intrigued by this guy...would love to see him show something and win that job.

WeAreArthurMoates
04-29-2009, 11:42 AM

I loved this pick-up last year and wanted him in the 4th round when he came out. He def is a sleeper to push Ellison, so is Buggs.

Mr. Pink
04-29-2009, 11:52 AM
PK Sam has been in the league or out of the league since 2004. He's played 4 games TOTAL. To even think of him as anything more than camp fodder is ludicrous.

Jonathan Scott was drafted in the 5th round by the Lions in 06. Hasn't ever seen an NFL field. Matt Millen was absolutely terrible in judging talent and drafting. However he does have nice size and from what I remember scouts did like his footwork.

Marcus Smith is 25 w/ 1 year of NFL experience, allegedly, considering he also has never seen the field.

I wouldn't expect any of the above to make the roster let alone see the field...

Vince Hall is intriguing based on what he did in VT. The dude was an integral part of a very good Hokie defense and just as good as Xavier Adibi. He does have speed and good insticts. Might end up being a good find.

And then obviously Chris Ellis who was our 3rd round pick last year.

A guy that I think could have an impact, not this year, but down the line as a darkhorse is Travis McCall. We like projects and he was an awesome blocker as a TE. I don't believe he'll ever be a TE at this level because he didn't have great hands but I could see the Bills trying to turn him into the next Jason Peters-esque project.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Jonathan Scott likely won't make the team, but he has started before so he has seen the field.

Mr. Pink
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Jonathan Scott likely won't make the team, but he has started before so he has seen the field.

Oops, my bad, apparently I researched the wrong player with him....22 games 6 starts.

psubills62
04-29-2009, 11:59 AM
PK Sam has been in the league or out of the league since 2004. He's played 4 games TOTAL. To even think of him as anything more than camp fodder is ludicrous.

Jonathan Scott was drafted in the 5th round by the Lions in 06. Hasn't ever seen an NFL field. Matt Millen was absolutely terrible in judging talent and drafting. However he does have nice size and from what I remember scouts did like his footwork.

Marcus Smith is 25 w/ 1 year of NFL experience, allegedly, considering he also has never seen the field.

I wouldn't expect any of the above to make the roster let alone see the field...

Vince Hall is intriguing based on what he did in VT. The dude was an integral part of a very good Hokie defense and just as good as Xavier Adibi. He does have speed and good insticts. Might end up being a good find.

And then obviously Chris Ellis who was our 3rd round pick last year.

A guy that I think could have an impact, not this year, but down the line as a darkhorse is Travis McCall. We like projects and he was an awesome blocker as a TE. I don't believe he'll ever be a TE at this level because he didn't have great hands but I could see the Bills trying to turn him into the next Jason Peters-esque project.

Jonathan Scott hasn't seen an NFL field? He played in 20 games and started 6 for the Lions during 2006 and 2007. I'm actually somewhat intrigued by Scott, and I wonder if he'll make the team.

elltrain22
04-29-2009, 12:00 PM

Probably a camp casualty. If we needed a return guy he might get a look, but we don't

I forgot we got this guy. He was pretty good in college, and if he works hard, he def' could help this team. If he was our starter at any point, I wouldn't be surprised

Camp casualty

Can he live up to his potential?? Will we be patient w/ him, and can we coach him into an NFL caliber player?? I just don't see it, but who knows.

This kid can play!! I live in ACC county, so I watch alot of ACC football, and I remember this kid. I hope he makes the team, b/c he has potential.Anyone have others to add?

Good post!!!!!!!!!!:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

psubills62
04-29-2009, 12:04 PM
I think one guy to add is Bruce Hall. I was completely unimpressed with his production coming out of college, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see him fighting Dominic Rhodes for the last RB spot. Rhodes has the edge due to experience and third down blocking ability, but Hall showed some good moves and ability last preseason, I do believe.

Tatonka
04-29-2009, 12:05 PM

wow.. i didnt realize we had signed vince hall. he was great in college..

OpIv37
04-29-2009, 12:08 PM
what about Alvin Bowen? There was some buzz about him last year before his injury. It would be nice if he could step up since we're so thin at LB.

Pinkerton Security
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Yeah I definitely think Buggs, Bowen and Hall could all push Ellison, and I'd like to see Ellis make strides obviously.

The Spaz
04-29-2009, 12:14 PM
Some info on Vince Hall from last years draft.

http://www.craveonline.com/sportsteam/article/2008-nfl-draft-vince-hall-67209

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
what about Alvin Bowen? There was some buzz about him last year before his injury. It would be nice if he could step up since we're so thin at LB.

Bowen was praised by Paul Hamilton last year.

Paul Hamilton is a reporter for WGR who tends to be negative on the Bills, so when he says a guy looks good it means something.

psubills62
04-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Seems to me like there will be a lot of competition for the OLB position this year (Bowen, Hall, Buggs, Ellison, Harris). It's too bad we don't have a star to put there, like Curry.

Maybe next year we could get Brandon Spikes (assuming he can play outside), or Navarro Bowman.

kid mickey
04-29-2009, 12:51 PM
Its gonna be a competition to see who can take the spot. Battle of the scrubs to see who is a star in the making. Ellison is holding down the spot for now, but Buggs, Hall, Bowen, and Harris are coming for that number one spot.

kernowboy
04-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Seems to me like there will be a lot of competition for the OLB position this year (Bowen, Hall, Buggs, Ellison, Harris). It's too bad we don't have a star to put there, like Curry.

Maybe next year we could get Brandon Spikes (assuming he can play outside), or Navarro Bowman.

or even Sean Lee of Penn St assuming he's recovered from his knee injury fully.

psubills62
04-29-2009, 12:56 PM
or even Sean Lee of Penn St assuming he's recovered from his knee injury fully.

Lee would certainly be an excellent pickup. I keep forgetting about him because he didn't play this year. It will be interesting to see how he comes back from the injury, though.

Mitchell55
04-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Travis McCall TE/FB. 6-4 260. Can catch, block, and RAC.

DrGraves
04-29-2009, 02:03 PM
Sam? for 3 or 4? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???

Mahdi
04-29-2009, 02:05 PM
Sam? for 3 or 4? ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND???
For real what was I thinking... Reed, Johnson, Jenkins and Parrish have been tearing up the NFL for years.

My Bad.

Pinkerton Security
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
For real what was I thinking... Reed, Johnson, Jenkins and Parrish have been tearing up the NFL for years.

My Bad.
lets see...PK Sam has zero catches for zero yards since 2004. WOW we better put him in the slot right away bc hes tall and fast!!!

Reed is a solid vet who blocks well and has played pretty well for the last year or 2 or 3. Johnson showed flashes of having the ability to be a dependable #2 last year. Parrish is not a real WR, more of a trick play guy so I'll give you that. But Sam has bounced around and done literally nothing but special teams. He is not an NFL receiver, let alone a #3 WR.

and dont forget that we spent a round 2 pick on James Hardy, so he has the upper hand over an undrafted FA with the stats that Sam has.

Lexwhat
04-29-2009, 02:39 PM
I think Ashton Youboty and Steve Johnson are primed for breakouts...

However, they may not qualify as a "dark horses."

IMO, I don't think PK Sam is even going to make the team. The guy was drafted a while ago by the Patriots and has been in and out of the league for years. He's a long shot to make the team.

sdbillsfan2
04-29-2009, 02:49 PM
[quote=FunTimesYaY!]PK Sam has been in the league or out of the league since 2004. He's played 4 games TOTAL. To even think of him as anything more than camp fodder is ludicrous.

If that's true, and I don't doubt you , then I'd have to say, I agree.

Jeff1220
04-29-2009, 03:50 PM
I think Fine might show us something this year, giving the Bills 2 legit starters at TE (with Nelson).

TigerJ
04-29-2009, 05:11 PM
what about Alvin Bowen? There was some buzz about him last year before his injury. It would be nice if he could step up since we're so thin at LB.Alvin Bowen is somewhat intruguing, I think. He was undersized last year, but I guess in addition to rehabbing from his season ending injury, he's also added some muscle. He's a fiery guy and probably a good locker room guy to boot. The question is can he play outside linebacker?

Mitchell55
04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
Quiet name. Maybe Pat Thomas? On our team right now, my money is on Ellis or Denney, for UDFAs, Id still say Travis.

Hamilton Billsfan
04-29-2009, 07:53 PM
This thread is about the"intriguing dark horse" then I think Bell is exactly that. A raw but athletic 7th round pick from a small school with only 1 year under his belt. He didn't "see the field" either last year. Also the story about his dad makes one want to see him succeed and excel in the face of adversity.

Go DB!

Mahdi
04-30-2009, 07:11 AM
lets see...PK Sam has zero catches for zero yards since 2004. WOW we better put him in the slot right away bc hes tall and fast!!!

Reed is a solid vet who blocks well and has played pretty well for the last year or 2 or 3. Johnson showed flashes of having the ability to be a dependable #2 last year. Parrish is not a real WR, more of a trick play guy so I'll give you that. But Sam has bounced around and done literally nothing but special teams. He is not an NFL receiver, let alone a #3 WR.

and dont forget that we spent a round 2 pick on James Hardy, so he has the upper hand over an undrafted FA with the stats that Sam has.
Did I say they were going to win the #3 spot for sure.. NO... I said they are interesting prospects.

Sam had a pretty good college career and is versatile and elusive. Maybe he just hasn't put things together. There are late bloomers and as long as he is on the roster and we have question marks at the slot WR position a player with his skills will have a shot.

Hardy is not a slot receiver. He is an outside guy so I dont factor him into this competition.

justasportsfan
04-30-2009, 11:24 AM
why is it our lb'ers are injury prone in their first couple of years? POZ, Digi, Ellison, Bowen.

Hall article
http://hamptonroads.com/2008/05/undrafted-tech-star-hungry-validation

Captain gameboy
04-30-2009, 11:34 AM
This injury happened during a stupid beach outing prior to the Orange Bowl in his senior year.
Vince Hall is a baller, but he could be one of those guys who is just a little below the NFL level. Just a little slow-just a little small.

I think he is a good risk at a position we really need help at, and I'll be cheering for him.

Oaf
04-30-2009, 01:03 PM
PK Sam will be nothing more than Sam Aiken. I wanted him in the 4th the year he came out but has done nothing the years he's been in the NFL. No reason to expect anything else.

BillsWin
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Vince Hall. period. love him.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Nic Harris is my dark horse player this year. I think he could turn out to be a really good player for us.