PDA

View Full Version : Some possible beneficiaries of the addition of TO and Nelson

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2009, 01:30 PM
Assuming the offensive line can protect Trent, Josh Reed, Steve Johnson, Derek Fine and the running backs could really benefit from the addition of TO and Nelson.

Think about the Bills in a 3-wide set - Owens, Evans and Reed. Nelson then motions out to the slot area.

At this time, the defense has to make some choices. Do you try and single cover Evans or Owens? If not, that leaves a DB to cover Reed and Nelson, possibly a safety, if the defense is in a dime package If they are not, a LB will be on one of those two creating a mismatch. Of course that would give the RB room in the flat or in a short pattern in the middle of the field. Or give him more room in a draw (maybe the middle of the line will actually create room for those plays now) or screen.

If Turk can be a little creative, the O-line can block adequately in pass protection and Trent can throw the ball (3 big if's) the offense could really flourish, even some of the guys we are not thinking much about.

kid mickey
04-29-2009, 01:35 PM
I am excited about the offensive possibilities if the line can hold up.

Ed
04-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Assuming the OL can protect Trent is a rather large assumption at this point.

Also, I think way too many people are expecting way too much from Nelson in his first season. A lot of people did the same thing with Hardy last year. It could be a few years before Nelson really becomes an assett.

psubills62
04-29-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm quite excited to see the offense in action.

I am one of the people who believe that Schonert wasn't terrible last season - it wasn't the plan that was the problem, most of the time - it was the execution. There were mutliple well-called screen passes that would have gone for 20 yards or more, but Lynch dropped the ball (I think he had about 7 "official" drops on the year, per Tim Graham's blog).

Here's hoping Nelson can contribute to the passing game right away, because this could be very, very dangerous. Maybe our defense could finally do what it was made to do - play with a lead.

ddaryl
04-29-2009, 01:37 PM
Think about the Bills in a 3-wide set - Owens, Evans and Reed. Nelson then motions out to the slot area.

shortly afterwards Fred Jackson also motions to a wideout position. Giving us a 5 receiver spread

psubills62
04-29-2009, 01:38 PM

Also, I think way too many people are expecting way too much from Nelson in his first season. A lot of people did the same thing with Hardy last year. It could be a few years before Nelson really becomes an assett.

I'm a little skeptical of how much Nelson may contribute. But there's a big difference between Hardy last year and Nelson this year.

Last year, Hardy was a project. He had the size, but was not very polished at all in terms of receiving.

Nelson is not only faster, but he's more apt to work the middle of the field where Edwards will see him. He's also a better route-runner that gets separation. It's mainly his blocking that needs work.

TacklingDummy
04-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Assuming the offensive line can protect Trent, Josh Reed, Steve Johnson, Derek Fine and the running backs could really benefit from the addition of TO and Nelson.

That's nice and all but it really does come down to Trent. This O has the potential to be great. The problem is does Trent have what it takes? I'm not really sure. We'll find out.

Pinkerton Security
04-29-2009, 02:45 PM
I'm a little skeptical of how much Nelson may contribute. But there's a big difference between Hardy last year and Nelson this year.

Last year, Hardy was a project. He had the size, but was not very polished at all in terms of receiving.

Nelson is not only faster, but he's more apt to work the middle of the field where Edwards will see him. He's also a better route-runner that gets separation. It's mainly his blocking that needs work.

uh...nelson is not faster??

Hardy ran a 4.47

Nelson ran a 4.56

also, Hardy is a WR and Nelson is a TE, so the comparison is a little off.

I wouldnt expect Nelson to catch more than 20 balls this year though.

psubills62
04-29-2009, 02:50 PM
uh...nelson is not faster??

Hardy ran a 4.47

Nelson ran a 4.56

also, Hardy is a WR and Nelson is a TE, so the comparison is a little off.

I wouldnt expect Nelson to catch more than 20 balls this year though.

Eh, you're right. But Nelson will most likely be matched up against LB's, while Hardy is matched up more against CB's. The CB's covering Hardy are much closer to his speed, whereas Nelson will have the upper hand.

The comparison isn't too far off because Nelson will contribute mostly as a pass-catching TE while he learns to block.

Pinkerton Security
04-29-2009, 02:51 PM
Eh, you're right. But Nelson will most likely be matched up against LB's, while Hardy is matched up more against CB's. The CB's covering Hardy are much closer to his speed, whereas Nelson will have the upper hand.

The comparison isn't too far off because Nelson will contribute mostly as a pass-catching TE while he learns to block.

true. He certainly could stretch the field as a TE, I hope we can see some of his athleticism this year.

FlyingDutchman
04-29-2009, 02:59 PM

At this time, the defense has to make some choices. Do you try and single cover Evans or Owens? If not, that leaves a DB to cover Reed and Nelson, possibly a safety, if the defense is in a dime package If they are not, a LB will be on one of those two creating a mismatch. Of course that would give the RB room in the flat or in a short pattern in the middle of the field. Or give him more room in a draw (maybe the middle of the line will actually create room for those plays now) or screen.

If Turk can be a little creative, the O-line can block adequately in pass protection and Trent can throw the ball (3 big if's) the offense could really flourish, even some of the guys we are not thinking much about.

Good points. Nelson is too fast for a LB to cover and has great size and will make it difficult for a safety to cover. Id like to see Nelson split off the line when he has a linebacker covering him. The combination of his size and speed gives a much needed red zone threat. Now you add TO and Hardy into the mix, as well as Lynch out of the backfield, and there should be no reasons our red zone offense doesnt improve tremendously.

Mr. Pink
04-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Everyone's numbers in terms of receiving should go down with the arrival of TO. Mainly because he's that much better.

Josh Reed won't catch 60 balls with TO here.

Lee Evans won't get as many looks because TO is, well, better.

Schouman or Fine or whoever at TE should get better numbers because well Royal was just that bad.

Jackson/Lynch's catches should go down as well.

The person who should mostly benefit is Edwards by having a legitimate weapon in the offense.

Ed
04-29-2009, 04:57 PM

Yeah, I agree that Nelson and Hardy aren't necessarily the same type of player. I was making more of a general comment that fans tend to get overly excited about rookies and build up a lot of expectations, which isn't really fair. I was just comparing him to Hardy because the talk about Nelson coming in and being a weapon for Trent right away reminds me a lot of the same talk that revolved around Hardy last year. I hope and expect that Nelson will be a good TE for us, I just think that it may not happen next year. Being a receiving threat at the pro level, whether it be WR or TE, usually takes time.

psubills62
04-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I agree that Nelson and Hardy aren't necessarily the same type of player. I was making more of a general comment that fans tend to get overly excited about rookies and build up a lot of expectations, which isn't really fair. I was just comparing him to Hardy because the talk about Nelson coming in and being a weapon for Trent right away reminds me a lot of the same talk that revolved around Hardy last year. I hope and expect that Nelson will be a good TE for us, I just think that it may not happen next year. Being a receiving threat at the pro level, whether it be WR or TE, usually takes time.

I agree, that's mainly why I'm skeptical about it. I just think that Nelson is more ready to contribute this year than Hardy was last year. Also, even if Nelson doesn't start from Week 1, he'll have less competition as a receiving TE than Hardy had at WR last year.

Nelson probably won't have decent numbers, mainly because we have two or more legitimate receiving threats already, and because he's a rookie.

ServoBillieves
04-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Boy you want to talk scary for a secondary...

Lineup as...

Owens -- Evans -- (Line) -- Jackson (from motion) -- Reed -- Stevie

Sets up the bubble screen, two deep threats, over the middle... UGH this season can't come fast enough!

Ed
04-30-2009, 09:57 AM
I agree, that's mainly why I'm skeptical about it. I just think that Nelson is more ready to contribute this year than Hardy was last year. Also, even if Nelson doesn't start from Week 1, he'll have less competition as a receiving TE than Hardy had at WR last year.

Nelson probably won't have decent numbers, mainly because we have two or more legitimate receiving threats already, and because he's a rookie.
Yeah, I think being a better route runner then Hardy gives him a better chance of contributing and making plays. Maybe having TO, Evans and Reed at WR will actually make Nelson the main beneficiary in this offense. With all the attention they'll draw, it may give Nelson the chance to kind of come in under the radar as a rookie and actually make some plays for us. It will be interesting to see how things play out. I'll still keep my expectations low, but it would be awesome if he had a big rookie year.

yordad
04-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Nelson will be a way bigger factor this year then Hardy was last year. No doubt.

justasportsfan
04-30-2009, 10:30 AM
This is also assuming that our coaching staff won't be too conservative in easing in rookies like they tend to do. They should throw them in there and not act like they are babies.

Mahdi
04-30-2009, 10:43 AM

I dont see why assuming a rookie TE can perform right away is far fetched.

Look at some of the more recent rookie TEs...

Dustin Keller -- 48 rec, 535 yds, 3 TD

Greg Olsen -- 39 rec, 391 yds, 2 TD

Chris Cooley -- 37, 314 yds, 6 TD

Zach Miller -- 44 rec, 444 yds, 3 TD

Owen Daniels -- 34 rec, 352 yds, 5 TD

Heath Miller -- 39 rec, 459 yds, 6 TD

Jason Witten -- 35 rec, 345 yds, 1 TD

John Carleson -- 55 rec, 627 yds, 5 TD

History shows that athletic receiving TEs who are given the chance to start right away as rookies, like those on this list, have a good chance for major production.

bigbub2352
04-30-2009, 12:10 PM
I dont understand the whole negative OLine thing, we got rid of two overpaid sloppy players who were here for the money not the Love of the game
We had Butler playing out of position the last 2 yrs and he was argueably our best Olineman when Healthy
then all we did was grab 3 nasty and intelligent athletic Olineman to take the place of these scrubs who got us nowhere and had trent Lynch and Fred getting hit in the backfeild with alraming regularity

Our Weapons are vastly improved over last year, our run game should be defintly better and it was strong already
If we can give an intelligent QB time to throw the ball which i think they really cant do worse than last yr with the up the middle pressure and Peters playing when he felt like it
We should be making plays all day
Turk needs to find ways to get the playmakers the ball
But i for one who is usually very negative LOVE what they di with the Oline
its about time
Nelson is the addition we have been waiting for to open up the middle of the feild he is also gonna bring the safties up and open Evans and Owens deep
we should be vastly improved it really comes down to execution and coaching

Mahdi
04-30-2009, 01:56 PM
I dont understand the whole negative OLine thing, we got rid of two overpaid sloppy players who were here for the money not the Love of the game
We had Butler playing out of position the last 2 yrs and he was argueably our best Olineman when Healthy
then all we did was grab 3 nasty and intelligent athletic Olineman to take the place of these scrubs who got us nowhere and had trent Lynch and Fred getting hit in the backfeild with alraming regularity

Our Weapons are vastly improved over last year, our run game should be defintly better and it was strong already
If we can give an intelligent QB time to throw the ball which i think they really cant do worse than last yr with the up the middle pressure and Peters playing when he felt like it
We should be making plays all day
Turk needs to find ways to get the playmakers the ball
But i for one who is usually very negative LOVE what they di with the Oline
its about time
Nelson is the addition we have been waiting for to open up the middle of the feild he is also gonna bring the safties up and open Evans and Owens deep
we should be vastly improved it really comes down to execution and coaching
The Bills clearly were trying to get MEAN up front and everything I have read and seen indicates Wood and Levitre were the 2 MEANEST linemen in the draft.

Dockery was a giant cream puff and Fowler was a tiny cream puff.

Hangartner is also a tough SOB and smart.

Actually both Wood and Levitre are described as Brainer linemen. Mean and Smart, cant go wrong. And that is why I loved the draft.

Ed
04-30-2009, 02:52 PM
I dont see why assuming a rookie TE can perform right away is far fetched.

Look at some of the more recent rookie TEs...

Dustin Keller -- 48 rec, 535 yds, 3 TD

Greg Olsen -- 39 rec, 391 yds, 2 TD

Chris Cooley -- 37, 314 yds, 6 TD

Zach Miller -- 44 rec, 444 yds, 3 TD

Owen Daniels -- 34 rec, 352 yds, 5 TD

Heath Miller -- 39 rec, 459 yds, 6 TD

Jason Witten -- 35 rec, 345 yds, 1 TD

John Carleson -- 55 rec, 627 yds, 5 TD

History shows that athletic receiving TEs who are given the chance to start right away as rookies, like those on this list, have a good chance for major production.
That's good to know. Hopefully Nelson follows in their paths. I don't think it's far fetched to think that rookies can produce right away, it's just that the majority don't, so I don't like to rely on rookies for significant contributions. I do think Nelson is coming into a pretty good situation though, so hopefully it all comes together pretty quick.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 03:00 PM
I like the idea of Nelson coming in and contributing to this offense. Edwards has options everywhere on the field. I think he can come in and at least get a few balls thrown his way. Honestly I'm not sure if Hardy is gonna make it on this team. He has a long way to go as far running routes and having better hands. He dropped the ball too many times on crucial plays. I think they will give him a chance, but he better show something because if he doesn't he could find himself getting cut.

Ed
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
I like the idea of Nelson coming in and contributing to this offense. Edwards has options everywhere on the field. I think he can come in and at least get a few balls thrown his way. Honestly I'm not sure if Hardy is gonna make it on this team. He has a long way to go as far running routes and having better hands. He dropped the ball too many times on crucial plays. I think they will give him a chance, but he better show something because if he doesn't he could find himself getting cut.
Well Hardy will barely be fully recovered from major knee surgery by the time the season starts, so it's unlikely he's going to be able to show much this year, especially with TO in front of him now. He's not going to get cut though.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
I'm not so sure. I mean you never know what could happen. What if T.O is here for a few years? If Hardy doesn't start to do something this year I don't think he will do anything in the NFL.