PDA

View Full Version : Quantity vs. Quality

psubills62
04-29-2009, 09:17 PM
It seems to me that we have quite a bit of quantity at two positions specifically, though not much quality.

I'm specifically thinking of OT and OLB. At OT, besides Walker, Chambers and Bell, we have signed UDFA's Joel Bell and Nick Hennessey, we have Jonathan Scott who has some starting experience, and potential camp bodies in Chris Denman, Brandon Rodd and Marvin Philip.

It seems to me they are specifically looking for Peters' replacement the same way they looked for Peters: by taking low-round prospects or UDFA's and building them up into capable starters. I'll be interested to see how successful they are at that over the next couple of years.

Also, the competition at OLB involves Ellison, Buggs, Bowen, Nic Harris, Vince Hall, etc. A lot of quantity but no studs among them.

I'd personally like to see a strong blitzer added to our OLB corps, but that upgrade might not be prioritized just yet.

Do you guys think that quantity over quality can work for some positions? Obviously a team can't have Pro-Bowlers at every position because they can't pay them. Are you OK with having these kinds of competitions for the next year or so?

Just thought that was interesting. The OT battle will be very intriguing to me.

seanbillsfan
04-29-2009, 10:05 PM
I cant really make any judgements on the tackle situation til we actually see on the field what we have. I wish we had some more experience there though

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
Who knows who the tackles are gonna be. Butler is probably vying for that RT and Walker is gonna take first shots at LT. I'd really like to see what Bell has there, but unless walker gets hurt or cut I don't see it happening.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2009, 06:54 AM
I think Butler will be our starting RT, with Walker moving to the left side, with Chambers and Bell backing up. Bell, I think, will eventually be a starter, probably at LT.

feldspar
04-30-2009, 09:05 AM
What's great about quantity...only one guy can play each position at a time. The only good thing about quanitity over quality is that you don't worry about the guy getting hurt too much. There is someone just as mediocre to take his place. We won't miss Ellison if he gets hurt, for example.

We'll see what happens on the line. Walker is a good RT. LT? I don't know. Butler is a good RG...Tackle? I don't know. With a complete shuffle of the line, it's anybody's guess.

yordad
04-30-2009, 10:31 AM
Quality please.

ghz in pittsburgh
04-30-2009, 11:17 AM
Butler is not starting at RT. Mark my word. Physically he's just not made for that. He does not have a wide body, very short arm (31+ inches), and not real strong. After a year of strong showing at RG, team started to figure him out last year: instead of allowing him to use his agility, they just bull rush him, "walk" him back to his QB. Against 4-3, he's a liability to powerful long armed DEs. Against 3-4, his relatively narrow body and short reach is not a good match for speedy slicing OLBs.

There is reason when Jauron mentioned the possibility of tackles in the draft presser, his name was mentioned the last. He can play RT, but only for emergency I guess.

If the season starts today, Walker is your LT and Chambers will be the RT. Both of them have demonstrated a level of competancy last year. If teams figure (one of ) them out, then we'll see some changes. Bell is the backup and he may be thrown into fire. Walker is no super star but he's proven at RT. People have been trying to figure Peters out and they voted him to Hawaii.

Remember guys like Robert Hicks, Terrence Pennington? They may hold the fort for a few games until people find holes in their games. This may very well happen against this year with Bell having his time under the sunshine. That's why I really think the Bills should go full force exploring Levi Jones option. I wonder what kind of medical condition he's in and what kind of compensation the Bengels are looking for because it was reported that the Bengels offered him during the draft and there was no takers.

Wood, Levitre, Hangartner, Butler, and McKinney are probably the main interior linemen. My feeling is Wood, Hangartner, and Butler will start this year. Down the road, I see Wood being the center and Levitre being one of the guard.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Butler to Tackle baby. They extended him so he could play Tackle. That's why they made it a priority to get Wood and Levitre. Those guys are playing inside. Your big men are playing outside. Lanky guys outside, bulky guys inside. Butler is built like a tackle and should be playing there. I don't care if his arms are short. He's got a tackle build. Jauron said Butler is a team player and could move out to tackle. I bet you that is where they have wanted him all along. These guys that do the drafting always have a plan. They don't just grab guys and think well this guy couldn't play there. Watch the Bills try something crazy like Bell, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood, Butler. That line could be solid. Just got to get it going and see where it goes from there.