PDA

View Full Version : FTP Had Nelson on Top

patmoran2006
04-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The National Football Post, for me personally, is my favorite football website on the net. There are a lot of writers with big-time qualifications on there, including former football players and administrators. Basically, I put a lot of stock into their opinions as compared to other places.

Anyway, they had pre-draft positional rankings based on a number of factors. At tight end, they had Nelson as the top ranked, even ahead of Pettigrew. .Interesting.
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/04/nfp-prospect-position-rankings-6/

madness
04-30-2009, 11:40 AM
I love NFP and check it almost daily! I agree, I put more stock in their opinions over most.

BillsFanInMass
04-30-2009, 11:59 AM
Andy Levitre was 3rd on the OG list and Wood was 3rd on the center list .

Oaf
04-30-2009, 12:54 PM
I love NFP and check it almost daily! I agree, I put more stock in their opinions over most.

Andy Levitre was 3rd on the OG list and Wood was 3rd on the center list .

Now what?

psubills62
04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Eh...I don't mind hyping Bills players. But there are plenty of reasons why Nelson went in the 4th round and Pettigrew went in the first round.

If there were a lot of places who had the two very close or Nelson above Pettigrew, then I'd say sure, that's legitimate. But considering every team passed over Nelson how many times, even when he was supposedly good value, and Pettigrew was drafted in the first round by a team who had a million needs...it all adds up to saying that NFP was probably the only place that valued Nelson over Pettigrew.

I'm not saying Pettigrew will have a better career. But right now, Pettigrew is a better prospect than Nelson.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
04-30-2009, 01:23 PM
we all want our guy to have been a steal. I'll wait till 3rd and 12, 4 points down, 1 min on the clock and Nelson splits the seam to determin if we got a steal :)

jimbohastle51
04-30-2009, 03:49 PM
i know that as far as wood being the number 3 center on there site, weather it is true of not he wouldnt have made it past pitt at 32. he would have been there choice gauranteed and NE probably would have jumped up to 31 just over pitt if he would have been there so i think we got a good value pick with him. nelson would have been ahead of pettigrew if he was 15lbs heavier and had better blocking skills. nelson far exceeds pettigrews pass catching and game breaking skills.

patmoran2006
04-30-2009, 03:56 PM
Eh...I don't mind hyping Bills players. But there are plenty of reasons why Nelson went in the 4th round and Pettigrew went in the first round.

If there were a lot of places who had the two very close or Nelson above Pettigrew, then I'd say sure, that's legitimate. But considering every team passed over Nelson how many times, even when he was supposedly good value, and Pettigrew was drafted in the first round by a team who had a million needs...it all adds up to saying that NFP was probably the only place that valued Nelson over Pettigrew.

I'm not saying Pettigrew will have a better career. But right now, Pettigrew is a better prospect than Nelson.
I agree.
I think the difference in draft position is because Pettigrew is much more of a complete tight end than Nelson. He's a fantastic blocker.

Nelson is pretty much at this stage entirely a pass catcher. I'm not only fine with that, I actually prefer that.

I think he and Beckum (NY Giants) are going to be two of the steals of this draft.

Luisito23
04-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Man I'm just glad we didn't reach for Pettigrew with our 1st. pick...:dance3:

Goobylal
04-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Pettigrew is a great blocker, but he's been described as a basically just an outlet-quality WR, lacking the speed to split the seam or stretch the field. Nelson has great size, speed, athleticism, hands, with his only real knock being that he is a fair but willing blocker. Blocking can be taught. Being 6'5" and 243# and running a 4.52 cannot.

ServoBillieves
04-30-2009, 08:51 PM
Now what?

WE. ARE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!?!?!?!?!!

ServoBillieves
04-30-2009, 08:55 PM
Also, Maybin was the #1 DE/OLB...

But did anyone NOT think that Duke Robinson was the #1 Guard in the draft? Levitre was a G/T, Wood is rightfully behind Mack and Unger because both had better college careers and intangibles. Let's just see how it transfers to the NFL>

Mad Bomber
04-30-2009, 09:27 PM
Personally, I think that Nelson was a STEAL in the fourth. I was a little worried when the run on TEs started (and we had no third round pick), but I was VERY pleased when I saw us pick him.

Mad Bomber
04-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Also, Maybin was the #1 DE/OLB...

But did anyone NOT think that Duke Robinson was the #1 Guard in the draft? Levitre was a G/T, Wood is rightfully behind Mack and Unger because both had better college careers and intangibles. Let's just see how it transfers to the NFL>
I like the versatility of the picks the Bills made. I would have LOVED to have Mack, but he was gone. Wood has the versatility to play G or C. Levitre can play G or T (although I don't think he would translate very well as a T in the NFL).

I like the way the Bills stuck to their board. Looks like they made some fairly solid picks this year. I don't care what the "experts" say.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing about Robinson, I'm just saying that I like the Wood pick, because he is a proven center. We need that depth in the interior line. Hell, I'm MUCH happier about Hangartner/Wood vs. last year.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:07 PM
I am hardly ever on that site, but its cool that they think highly of the newly acquired Bills players.

Night Train
05-01-2009, 04:18 AM
Pettigrew is a great blocker, but he's been described as a basically just an outlet-quality WR, lacking the speed to split the seam or stretch the field. Nelson has great size, speed, athleticism, hands, with his only real knock being that he is a fair but willing blocker. Blocking can be taught. Being 6'5" and 243# and running a 4.52 cannot.

Anyone see the Senior Bowl practice film by NFL Network where Nelson just buries Ray Maualuga into the turf. I know it's out there on Youtube.

LtFinFan66
05-01-2009, 04:36 AM
They also had Sean Smith from Utah as the #1 corner:scratch:

and Pat White as the #3 QB:scratch:

acehole
05-01-2009, 06:54 AM
Personally, I think that Nelson was a STEAL in the fourth. I was a little worried when the run on TEs started (and we had no third round pick), but I was VERY pleased when I saw us pick him.

He doent seem like he wants to be here....Atlanta was a more vertical offence and a nice weather team....or he was pissed about where he was drafted....either way he seems like he has a chip...

acehole
05-01-2009, 06:56 AM
I hope they can get it together by camp..

One to watch is Joel Bell...RT or Lt of the future.

[Offensive Tackles[/font]
1Eugene Monroe, Virginia (6-5, 309
[2Jason Smith, Baylor (6-5, 309
3Andre Smith, Alabama (6-4, 332
4Michael Oher, Mississippi (6-5, 309
5Eben Britton, Arizona (6-6, 309
6William Beatty, Connecticut (6-6, 307
7Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (6-8, 332
8Fenuki Tupou, Oregon (6-6, 314
9Jamon Meredith, South Carolina (6-5, 304
10Joel Bell, Furman (6-7, 315
11Xavier Fulton, Illinois (6-4, 302
12Gerald Cadogan, Penn State (6-5, 309
13Augustus Parrish, Kent State (6-4, 303)[

I like the versatility of the picks the Bills made. I would have LOVED to have Mack, but he was gone. Wood has the versatility to play G or C. Levitre can play G or T (although I don't think he would translate very well as a T in the NFL).

I like the way the Bills stuck to their board. Looks like they made some fairly solid picks this year. I don't care what the "experts" say.

BTW, I'm not disagreeing about Robinson, I'm just saying that I like the Wood pick, because he is a proven center. We need that depth in the interior line. Hell, I'm MUCH happier about Hangartner/Wood vs. last year.

psubills62
05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
They also had Sean Smith from Utah as the #1 corner:scratch:

and Pat White as the #3 QB:scratch:

Sean Smith as the #1 corner is questionable. But I've seen Pat White make some pretty dang good throws. His ability to pass is underrated, and could be an OK QB in the NFL, imo.

madness
05-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Now what?

Now what... what?

Rankings of players at this point are just opinions and you know what they say about opinions. That has nothing to do with the validity of the site.

I didn't have Nelson at #1 or #2 but Wood was third on my C list too.