• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little Bitch

• Sep 2002

Josh Reed article

"When Peerless Price was traded to the Falcons for a number-one pick (which turned out to be Willis McGahee), it was automatically assumed that Josh Reed—a second round pick in 2002—would start opposite Eric Moulds. That assumption remains safer than network television, but not if you ask the youngster in line for the big promotion.

“The No. 2 position is open to everybody,” Reed told the Buffalo News during last weekend’s minicamp. “If I look at myself as No. 2, then I might slack off. There's always the man behind you that's trying to get better and trying to play. So I look at it as I'm fighting all those other guys for the position.”

The current No. 3 receiver is Bobby Shaw, who was signed as a free agent by way of Jacksonville.

“It will be nice to see (Reed) play with total confidence this year because he's got to be the man,” coach Gregg Williams told the Buffalo News. “Bobby Shaw may have something to say about that as well as some of the other young guys around here.

“But it's fun to see Josh come out here in the first minicamp and try to take control of his job. The competition on this team is good enough that everybody's got to play very hard or else there's somebody breathing down his back.”

That was a solid bit of coach-speak from Williams, who enters his third season as Buffalo’s head coach, but Shaw has absolutely no shot of supplanting Reed—barring injury. Shaw had a golden opportunity to win a starting job with the Jaguars last season, but he couldn’t even play Patrick Johnson off the field. Shaw finished with 44 catches for 525 yards and only one score.

Still, it’s great to hear a tale of humility, honor, and hard work from a professional athlete these days. Reed, who has a brother and cousin that just served in the Persian Gulf, is from good stock, and his fantasy stock is on the rise.

Reed caught 37 balls for 514 yards and two scores as the third receiver a year ago, while Peerless Price had 94 catches for 1,252 yards and nine touchdowns. You don’t need me to tell you Reed’s sophomore numbers will fall somewhere in between, but they’ll be much closer to Price’s. In fact, I’ll go out on a limb right now projecting 75 catches for 1,100 yards and seven scores from Drew Bledsoe’s new second favorite target.

(By the way, did you know the NFL season kicks off with Jets and Jet-skins at FedEx Field on Thursday, Sept. 4? There’s so much drama surrounding that game, TNT should air the broadcast.)"

Fanball is a daily fantasy sports platform. Compete against friends or strangers in various contest formats for fun or for prizes.
  • BillsNYC
    Man of the People
    • Jul 2002

good stuff....i'd still like to see another receiver signed to compete though....
    Thank you.

Comment

• LtBillsFan66
      • Jul 2002

I kinda feel worse off about Shaw after reading the article.

Like it or not folks, Peerless was a top talent.

Comment

• Doc
        • Dec 2002

Shaw isn't a #2 WR. He'll be fine as a #3 WR however. Hopefully though Aiken pushes him down to #4.

Comment

• mypoorfriendme
          • Apr 2003

bad news first, i can almost gurentee you reed doesnt get near the thousand yard mark in recieving. but the good news, i dont think hell have to. obviously the bills have changed their entire game plan over the offseason which is going to have to rely on a good ground attack. with no real threat at number 2 reciever or tight end anymore, i really hope henry comes through with a running game we can count on instead of bledsoe's inconsistent arm. reed will get the number2 job of course (assuming we dont pick up any descent reciever after the cuts) but i dont think hell have any where near price numbers by any means
          the dude abides

Comment

• venis2k1
            Youboty can hope
            • Jul 2002

I think reed will put up good numbers. 900-1000 yards is my guess

Comment

• Doc
              • Dec 2002

Reed likely won't put up Price's numbers, but he'll be effective and do the things that Price didn't, like block and NOT commit stupid penalties or turnovers. Oh and Riemersma hasn't been a threat at TE for years.

Comment

• Bert102176
                • Aug 2002

Reed will get 500 to 700 yards this year, I don't care what anyone says I wanted Price here.
                lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• TypicalBill
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Bert102176
                  Reed will get 500 to 700 yards this year, I don't care what anyone says I wanted Price here.

didn't he get that last year as a 3rd WR?
                  For the latest Bills news, visit the front page www.billszone.com

Comment

• Doc
                    • Dec 2002

Reed will easily surpass 700 yards. That's not even in question.

Comment

• Stewie
                      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
                      • Aug 2002

I think Reed will get less than 1000 yards for two reasons:

1. He would be less productive than Peerless at this stage, all other things being equal, but all other things are not equal because...
                      2. He won't get the same # of balls thrown his way as Peerless did, because hopefully Gilbride will yank his head out of his ass and run Henry 400 times this year.
                      Originally posted by Topdog
                      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
                      Originally posted by mercyrule
                      I love Weiner.
                      Originally posted by mercyrule
                      also cheese

Comment

• Travis Hunter
                        • Jul 2002

I've got a bad feeling about Josh this year, probably because of his stupified radio interview he gave. I hope his life is in order. One thing Peerless had was his off field priorities straight.
                        Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• Billz_fan
                          • Jan 2003

I know that economics plays a part but given a choice between McGahee and Peerless Price I would have rather kept PP at this point in the deal.

Now with that being said I think WM can bring us some good things in the future and we got a chance to patch the defense with the extra money from the PP trade.

On to the original thread topic, Im don't think JR is anywhere near the reciever PP was, then again he was never billed to be.

The way the team is supposedly going offensively though (run) I think the right moves were made by trading PP.

If Bledsoe still ends up throwing to win games though then the whole scenario changes and I would say the wrong moves were made.

It's up to the coaching staff from here to make the most of the moves with proper play calling.
                          The Polian Curse

"They're a very special group of men. Cherish them, you will not see their like again."

February 4, 1993 Bill Polian at his closing press conferance after being dismissed as GM of the Buffalo Bills by Ralph Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                          X