PDA

View Full Version : No-huddle offense makes perfect sense for Bills

The Spaz
04-30-2009, 04:17 PM
After several years of offensive tedium, the Buffalo Bills might actually be changing the way they operate.

A team source says the Bills are gearing up to run a no-huddle offense in 2009. It would maximize their skill payers and perhaps neutralize any offensive-line deficiencies by wearing out defenders.

Sam Wyche, the coach who pioneered the up-tempo, three-receiver offense, thinks the Bills have assembled the components to support such a transformation.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-7-176/No-huddle-offense-makes-perfect-sense-for-Bills.html

BillsOwnAll
04-30-2009, 04:24 PM
Would be exciting. ONly thing i DISLIKE about the no huddle is thaat it could result in some quick 3 and outs. But much more potential to score on any play.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Love the No huddle.

Captain gameboy
Jauron's job is on the line, and the issue could well be decided by November 1.

I don't see him risking his longevity and his staff's careers on a gimmick.

tatersalad
sounds great

Boomstick
04-30-2009, 04:36 PM
I really think the No huddle/2 minute drill is where this offense was at its best last year. This really does make a lot of sense.

yordad
04-30-2009, 04:46 PM
They are built for it, but when was the last time they consistently ran what they looked to be best at?

FlyingDutchman
04-30-2009, 05:00 PM
thats putting a lot of faith in trent awfully quickly

yordad
04-30-2009, 05:09 PM
thats putting a lot of faith in trent awfully quicklyHe has only one less start then JP had going into 07. You know, the year he was replaced by TE. Trent is all grown up now.

elltrain22
04-30-2009, 05:13 PM
On paper, this seems like the most logical way to utilize all of our offensive talent the best. Although, as BillsOwnAll already alluded to, it is suseptible to very quick offensive series. However, I think our offense can really pull this off, and we're gonna have a very high-powered offense this year.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 05:16 PM
I think the no-huddle would be good for this team. I like the idea and think it should be employed into this offense more. We will see what happens.

lmcshadow
04-30-2009, 05:30 PM
When the no huddle (AKA; :bow: K-Gun) was in effect years ago, The Bills were at their best, so it is a good idea to get back to what works for the team.

madness
04-30-2009, 05:35 PM
"droptastic"

:lolpoint: Robert Royal

WeAreArthurMoates
04-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Please, please, please bring it back. I'd love to have that one offense no team runs predominatly.

Mike
04-30-2009, 05:49 PM
I think that the No Huddle is something within Trent's abilities. I think it definitely plays to his strength's as a player. I could see them being effective with that type of offense: quick passes, short passes in flats, draws, screens, dink and dunk offense.

Mr. Pink
04-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Terrible idea with a team that is as weak at defense as ours is...

The defense is on the field far too often as it is...this will make it worse and expose them further.

Don't like it.

Unless we can expect to put up 30+ every Sunday it'll be a long season.

Stewie
04-30-2009, 06:25 PM
this excites me. woot.

DynaPaul
04-30-2009, 06:40 PM

I wouldn't call the No Huddle a gimmick. It's a proven offensive system. Hey, it got us to 4 Super Bowls.

ChristopherWalken
04-30-2009, 06:58 PM
The defense will have to hold its own as it will be on the field for a considerable amount of time.

Considering all the recent additions and the multiple position versatility of the current roster, I think the Bills can actually make this work.

My only concern is rotating DTs as I don't think they have enough talented depth to pull this off. But they definitely have the depth with the rest of the D (DEs, LBs, and DBs)....so, with a few minor adjustments it is a possibility. However, one season ending injury at the DT position puts this system in major jeopardy.

I can see the upside to this as the Edwards can milk the quick release and the OLine is young and athletic enough to keep rolling. 1-2-3 punch with Lynch, Jackson and Rhodes....this could work.

psubills62
04-30-2009, 07:24 PM

A gimmick? You're talking about one of the main reasons the Patriots went 16-0. They went no-huddle their first drive of every game, and scored a TD in about 14 or so games on their first drive. You don't think that helped set the tempo of their games?

It's not a gimmick - it's a weapon that, when used correctly, can be devastating to the momentum. Think about the Pats scoring a TD on us, McKelvin returning the ball to the 30-yard line and Edwards simply marching down the field in 3 minutes, scoring another TD in answer to Brady's. That would send a message.

Commissioner
04-30-2009, 07:37 PM
Hopefully trent and the offense pulls out the old film of the 90's Bills and study it. With the skill position players they should be able to do it.

Like someone already eluded to .... i'm not sure if I can see conservative Jauron allowing it. He would probably stop it after 1 unsuccessful series.

Kenny
04-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Hopefully trent and the offense pulls out the old film of the 90's Bills and study it. With the skill position players they should be able to do it.

Like someone already eluded to .... i'm not sure if I can see conservative Jauron allowing it. He would probably stop it after 1 unsuccessful series.

Well conservative Jauron did pick up TO.

BillsWin
04-30-2009, 08:49 PM
This is an exciting bit of information. All no-huddle huh? That will really be something to watch...

Mad Bomber
04-30-2009, 09:17 PM
Love the No huddle.
Listen to Thurm. The man has knowledge. :up:

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:10 PM
The no-huddle could be pretty effective. Not sure if they should run it all the time but it could be nice every other drive or so. You score to quick then the opposing offense is on the field. I mean you got to let your defense breathe too.

Tatonka
04-30-2009, 10:14 PM
He has only one less start then JP had going into 07. You know, the year he was replaced by TE. Trent is all grown up now.

he has still proven ****.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:16 PM
I think he has proven that is better than Losman.

lmcshadow
04-30-2009, 10:31 PM
I think he has proven that is better than Losman.
who by the way is a Patriot now

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:32 PM
No he isn't that's a spoof.

jamze132
05-01-2009, 12:58 AM
Dick Jauron is going to do 90% of everything different than last year, so get used to hearing the unimaginable.

Throne Logic
05-01-2009, 01:16 AM
For those claiming the quick three-and-out would be bad for our defense: All we need to do is look at the past couple seasons for references. The Bills have been masters at it. So what's the real big difference between three-and-out the "traditional way" and three and out the "no huddle" way?

Payton Manning runs the no-huddle and he uses up nearly the entire clock each play. Just because you don't huddle doesn't imply you're taking less time. Many people confuse the no-huddle with the two minute offense. This is a big misconception. One of the benefits of the no-huddle is you can dramatically change up the pace and catch the defence off guard.

The Bills are claiming to have a wide range of very intelligent players on offence, starting with the guy behind Center. The no-huddle relies on players being smart and remaining focused. Lets see what they've got.

Bert102176
05-01-2009, 02:51 AM
I think Trent is very capable of running it and I think he has the smarts to let him call some of the plays himself, he is suppose to be the field general

Don't Panic
05-01-2009, 06:08 AM
"You always look for two things in quarterbacks: They've got to be smart, and they've got to be accurate," Wyche said. "If they're tall, that's a plus. If they can run, that's a plus. If they got a rifle arm, that's a plus. But if they're smart and accurate you can figure out a way to win."

"Every 20 seconds we were getting off a play," Ritcher said. "It's not really difficult, but you have to be in good shape. Defense is so much tougher than offense anyways, when you're running all over the field like a defensive player has to do. It's much more tiring.

The Bills also signed a brainy center to make the line calls. Geoff Hangartner (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=8583) scored 47 out of 50 on his Wonderlic intelligence test before the 2005 draft. That's supposedly the record among offensive linemen.

I think it is a brilliant idea. My guess is we wouldn't do it for 60 minutes... especially if we had anything more than an 8 point lead. But if you think about it, we have the perfect personnel for something like this. A lot of guys at the skill positions who are in very good shape, as well as the depth to give them breathers; a smart, accurate QB; a bright center who is a vet (which also explains why they said on draft day that Wood will play guard and that Hangartner is the center on day one); and, IMO, the D to pull it off. We are going to be very deep at DB, especially for what we need them for in this system, and we go four deep at DE and DT (assuming McCargo get's it together), which means we can rotate a lot. The one missing piece is at LB. Those guys are going to get run ragged if they're on the field 32-35 minutes a game, and we don't have the quality of depth to really give them much of a break. If we had one more OLB I'd say we could do it. Unfortunately, Freddy K would have been the perfect candidate.

Still... this can be done. And, more importantly, this shows that there may be a full TEAM philosophy in place for this coming season. Could it be true??

Mahdi
05-01-2009, 07:43 AM
thats putting a lot of faith in trent awfully quickly
I remember the Bills running the no huddle against the Ravens in Trent's rookie year. Ravens couldn't call in any of there exotic defenses and make the subs they wanted to.

We won that game. I think Trent will benefit from the no huddle since his strength is pass accuracy not throwing power.

justasportsfan
05-01-2009, 09:23 AM
I'd rather we handle teams like the browns from last year before we start talking about an O thats requires quick thinking. It's hard enough that Trent is worried about his nuts falling off in the winter games.

"we were gonna run the no huddle until the D showed us something we didn't practice for all week. OH and yeah, my sister Shelby forgot to give me my long johns"

raphael120
05-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Anything to give this team a freakin identity.

The identity of this team the past 9 years can be summed up in one word : suck

The Spaz
05-01-2009, 12:09 PM
who by the way is a Patriot now

:funny:

Commissioner
05-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I remember the Bills running the no huddle against the Ravens in Trent's rookie year. Ravens couldn't call in any of there exotic defenses and make the subs they wanted to.

We won that game. I think Trent will benefit from the no huddle since his strength is pass accuracy not throwing power.

And wasn't that his 1st or 2nd start? Amazing how they never went back to it.

BillsWin
05-01-2009, 12:53 PM
And wasn't that his 1st or 2nd start? Amazing how they never went back to it.

no. Not amazing. We are the Bills. It is only natural that we find something that works than not use it.

Commissioner
05-01-2009, 01:17 PM
no. Not amazing. We are the Bills. It is only natural that we find something that works than not use it.

Like Edwards on playaction roll outs. He killed the Chiefs with it.... then we never see it again.

BillsWin
05-01-2009, 01:19 PM
Like Edwards on playaction roll outs. He killed the Chiefs with it.... then we never see it again.

Im glad someone else notices the incompetence of our franchise. :darth:

Mahdi
05-01-2009, 02:17 PM
Im glad someone else notices the incompetence of our franchise. :darth:
I have to say... I'll though I support Jauron I'm still not so sure about Turk. He has something against play action because I simply dont see it enough. There's teams that live off it.

There must be some reason he wasn't comfortable calling those plays. Maybe he didn't feel protection would hold up against good teams. Maybe he figured he could though against KCs horrible DL.