PDA

View Full Version : 136 more days until....

elltrain22
04-30-2009, 08:42 PM
Before you read anything else, I must tell you that I am an optimistic person. With that said, I am not an optimist, to the extent, that it clouds reality. For the past 8-9 years, or the last time we've been to the playoffs, I've been pretty/sorta/not much/very luke warm about our chances for the upcoming season. In seasons past, we've had a hard time putting it "all" together. Offensive production, defensive prowess, special teams excellence, and coaching superiority has been hard for our team to balance. Some years, our defense has been stellar, and our offense has been laughable. Other years, it seems we had the talent, but coaching was very questionable. Another reason for not as much excitement was of course the very average (putting it nicely) drafts that we've had. For the past 5 years of drafting especially, I was left scratching my head, and wondering what in the heck we were doing.

While others on this board are very skeptical about this team due to our new o-line, and b/c of Dick Jauron's past ineptitude. To be honest, with these 2 overlying aspects, I can see why some are a bit skeptical. The o-line is a "work-in-progress", and the Dick has certainly made my hair become prematurely gray. As far as "the Dick" goes I will not attempt to defend him that much, b/c to be honest, I wish we would've hired Bobby April to be our head coach, but I digress. The only thing that makes me feel okay about him as our coach is that he's had success once before, and he could do it again. Is he still a weak tactician, yeah he is, and does he make poor game decisions from time to time, certainly, but is he capable of leading a talented football team to the playoffs, I think he can. As far as the o-line goes, I am very excited about the new (and going to be improved) o-line. Some seem to think that the loss of Peters and Dockery totally cripples our team. Some say Trent Edwards will be on his butt every game, our running game will struggle etc, etc. I like what we've done w/ our line. We will definetly miss the "productive" Jason Peters (the one we saw in 07-08), but I think we have capable players who can be respectable offensive lineman. I think Geoff Hangartner is going to all surprise us, I also think Eric Wood, at seasons end, we'll all be in love with. I am also a big fan of Kirk Chambers. I also think our o-line has depth for this first time since the 90s.

I look at our roster, depth charts, and schedule it so much looks like 10+ wins, and playoffs is so possible. I love our offense on paper. TO is still one of the top WR's in the game, and for this first time in his career, he is paired w/ another premier WR. Marshawn Lynch is a beast, and although he won't be ready until week 4 b/c of suspension, there is absolutely nothing to panic about b/c Fred Jackson can step in, and our offense won't miss a beat. Let us also not forget our FO went out and signed Dominick Rhodes to backup Freddy in weeks 1-3. Trent Edwards, whom some are still on the fence about, IMO is poised to absoluetly bust out this year. How can he not w/ the talent that surrounds him?? Trent was a very different player after he got crushed by Adrian Wilson, but when he is on his game, like he was weeks 1-5, he is one of the top 5 AFC qb's. What else is fun to think about are the what ifs. What if James Hardy maturates this year, what if Josh Reed flourishes as a possession WR b/c of TO and Lee Evans, what if Shawn Nelson can finally give us a capable pass-catching TE, what if players like Chris Ellis, Alvin Bowen, and Demetrius Bell can contribute for us, what if Aaron Maybin is what the FO thought he could be, what if the "experiment" to draft a ball hawking CB and then move to SS works....

This year seems like the year all facets of our team are good enough to get us to the playoffs. Last year, we saw our defense play lights out at times, but our offense seemed to always keep us from winning ball games. This year, w/ our arsenal of talent, I doubt that'll be the case. We also still have the most feared special teams unit in all the NFL, and of course, the best fans in all of sports!!!

I only have one more thing to say................

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:nod: :nod:

ServoBillieves
04-30-2009, 08:50 PM
It's all about optimism at this point elltrain.

I look forward to this year as I do every year. I can't wait to see the rookies impact, see how everyone progresses, see how T.O. does, and win some games!

Mad Bomber
04-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh yeah....it's April and hope springs eternal.

I've been reading a lot of posts on this board....some postiive, a lot negative.

It's WAY too early for the BZ pundits to make their self-authoritative stone cold lead pipe lock predictions about how good or bad our team is going to be.

It's refreshing to see a post like this that talks about POSSIBILITIES, instead of claiming to KNOW how the Bills will do this year.

EXCELLENT post, man.

kid mickey
04-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Good post. I hope the Bills have a good year and make the play-offs who knows what could happen.

elltrain22
05-01-2009, 05:11 AM
The possibilities are so intriguing. 135 more now...