PDA

View Full Version : No debate: Edwards hits crucial time

The Spaz
05-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Opinion on the Bills’ draft is all over the lot. ESPN’s Mel Kiper called it the best in the NFL. Peter King of Sports Illustrated called it “strange.” The fan reaction ranges from outright glee to utter disgust.

But there’s one thing everyone agrees on: Next season will be crucial for Trent Edwards. In fact, a lot of fans are already looking to next year’s draft. Several have asked me if the Bills might take a quarterback if Edwards doesn’t make sufficient strides next season.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/657711.html

Jan Reimers
05-01-2009, 08:37 AM
We have filled enough holes, and added enough offensive weapons, that Edwards - like most QBs in the NFL - becomes our key player this year.

Pinkerton Security
05-01-2009, 08:46 AM
I love me some Trent but if he doesnt do well, i want his ass gone and get Sam Bradford.

psubills62
05-01-2009, 08:49 AM
I'm curious as to what people think - let's say Buffalo has a great record this year (hypothetical, go along with it), something like 13-3. But Edwards only improves slightly on his numbers from last year, with something like 15 TD's to 10 INT's. What then?

I'm curious mainly because when I was looking at run statistics, I noticed that the two rookie QB's who had great success last year (or perceived success, as it was their team who did quite a bit), had two of the best running games in the league.

It seems to me like the Bills are trying to dominate the LOS in the running game in order to set up the passing game. If Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes really get going, then Edwards should be a much more effective passer.

kid mickey
05-01-2009, 08:50 AM
I hope he succeeds. We really can't afford to keep looking for a QB. Trent has got to be the guy.

colin
05-01-2009, 08:51 AM
is edwards' arm strength really an issue? i think it is more his ability to read 3-4 Ds and make decisions there.

Pinkerton Security
05-01-2009, 08:51 AM
I'm curious as to what people think - let's say Buffalo has a great record this year (hypothetical, go along with it), something like 13-3. But Edwards only improves slightly on his numbers from last year, with something like 15 TD's to 10 INT's. What then?

I'm curious mainly because when I was looking at run statistics, I noticed that the two rookie QB's who had great success last year (or perceived success, as it was their team who did quite a bit), had two of the best running games in the league.

It seems to me like the Bills are trying to dominate the LOS in the running game in order to set up the passing game. If Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes really get going, then Edwards should be a much more effective passer.

good point. If we go 13-3, Trent played well enough for us to go 13-3. He may not win many games single-handedly, but if he doesnt lose them for us, then I'd be ok with him staying around. Big Ben did not have stellar numbers, he just facilitated the offense and protected the ball.

justasportsfan
05-01-2009, 08:52 AM
and added enough offensive weapons,.
thats an understatement. He's been given weapons that every qb including Brady would love talent wise.

Commissioner
05-01-2009, 12:31 PM
is edwards' arm strength really an issue? i think it is more his ability to read 3-4 Ds and make decisions there.
I think the main problem with 3-4 Ds was not getting the running game established. Most teams learned to drop back 8 guys in coverage to cover and dared us to run. Your not gonna have a lot of windows with 8 guys in zone coverage. Hopefully with more skill players we'll be able to fight through the 8 man zones.

It drove me nutz when Turk would have Trent go out there in shotgun continuously against the 8 man zone. You've got to pound the rock.

Look for Belichick to do this week 1 until we prove we can beat it.

Philagape
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I certainly will not tolerate a lack of growth this year. He has to step up consistently, or dump him. No more horrendous three-game stretches.

yordad
05-01-2009, 01:37 PM
is edwards' arm strength really an issue? i think it is more his ability to read 3-4 Ds and make decisions there.Yes, and Yes

Mr. Pink
05-01-2009, 01:39 PM
He's in his third year with a major offensive weapon in TO. If he stinks the joint up and we don't see marked improvement it's going to be that time to look in another direction. Hopefully that is not what happens or else we're looking at more rebuilding.

Commissioner
05-01-2009, 01:45 PM
Yes, and Yes

I don't remember Trents arm strength being an issue in a game. I don't remember anyone saying he couldn't make a certain throw....

He doesn't have a Brett Favre arm, but his arm isn't holding the team back.

Pinkerton Security
05-01-2009, 02:00 PM
I don't remember Trents arm strength being an issue in a game. I don't remember anyone saying he couldn't make a certain throw....

He doesn't have a Brett Favre arm, but his arm isn't holding the team back.

eh, there are certain throws he cant rally make, such as the deeper sideline out, but then not a ton of guys CAN make those throws that well.

Beastie Bills
05-01-2009, 03:17 PM
I think the main problem with 3-4 Ds was not getting the running game established. Most teams learned to drop back 8 guys in coverage to cover and dared us to run. Your not gonna have a lot of windows with 8 guys in zone coverage. Hopefully with more skill players we'll be able to fight through the 8 man zones.

It drove me nutz when Turk would have Trent go out there in shotgun continuously against the 8 man zone. You've got to pound the rock.

Look for Belichick to do this week 1 until we prove we can beat it.

Very good post. It's a shame that most of the Trent-Bashers don't understand this.

kid mickey
05-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Dude if you got 8 dbs on the field I'd be pounding the rock all day. They might catch you after you got 5 yards down the field, but shoot 10 yards make a first down and I do it. Why do you think Jackson was so good in the last game? Shotgun spread HB draw. Pats figured we were nothing without Lynch so they didn't stack the box. Jackson had a career day. If Lynch was doing that every game he'd be over 150 yds every game.