X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

No debate: Edwards hits crucial time

Opinion on the Bills’ draft is all over the lot. ESPN’s Mel Kiper called it the best in the NFL. Peter King of Sports Illustrated called it “strange.” The fan reaction ranges from outright glee to utter disgust.

But there’s one thing everyone agrees on: Next season will be crucial for Trent Edwards. In fact, a lot of fans are already looking to next year’s draft. Several have asked me if the Bills might take a quarterback if Edwards doesn’t make sufficient strides next season.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: No debate: Edwards hits crucial time

We have filled enough holes, and added enough offensive weapons, that Edwards - like most QBs in the NFL - becomes our key player this year.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
      Pinkerton's son
      • Feb 2006

I love me some Trent but if he doesnt do well, i want his ass gone and get Sam Bradford.

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

I'm curious as to what people think - let's say Buffalo has a great record this year (hypothetical, go along with it), something like 13-3. But Edwards only improves slightly on his numbers from last year, with something like 15 TD's to 10 INT's. What then?

I'm curious mainly because when I was looking at run statistics, I noticed that the two rookie QB's who had great success last year (or perceived success, as it was their team who did quite a bit), had two of the best running games in the league.

It seems to me like the Bills are trying to dominate the LOS in the running game in order to set up the passing game. If Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes really get going, then Edwards should be a much more effective passer.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• kid mickey
          • Apr 2009

I hope he succeeds. We really can't afford to keep looking for a QB. Trent has got to be the guy.
          Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...

Comment

• colin
            Drew's my hero!
            • Jul 2002

is edwards' arm strength really an issue? i think it is more his ability to read 3-4 Ds and make decisions there.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by psubills62
              I'm curious as to what people think - let's say Buffalo has a great record this year (hypothetical, go along with it), something like 13-3. But Edwards only improves slightly on his numbers from last year, with something like 15 TD's to 10 INT's. What then?

I'm curious mainly because when I was looking at run statistics, I noticed that the two rookie QB's who had great success last year (or perceived success, as it was their team who did quite a bit), had two of the best running games in the league.

It seems to me like the Bills are trying to dominate the LOS in the running game in order to set up the passing game. If Lynch/Jackson/Rhodes really get going, then Edwards should be a much more effective passer.

good point. If we go 13-3, Trent played well enough for us to go 13-3. He may not win many games single-handedly, but if he doesnt lose them for us, then I'd be ok with him staying around. Big Ben did not have stellar numbers, he just facilitated the offense and protected the ball.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                and added enough offensive weapons,.
                thats an understatement. He's been given weapons that every qb including Brady would love talent wise.
                sacrifice1
                https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Commissioner
                  • Dec 2004

Originally posted by colin
                  is edwards' arm strength really an issue? i think it is more his ability to read 3-4 Ds and make decisions there.
                  I think the main problem with 3-4 Ds was not getting the running game established. Most teams learned to drop back 8 guys in coverage to cover and dared us to run. Your not gonna have a lot of windows with 8 guys in zone coverage. Hopefully with more skill players we'll be able to fight through the 8 man zones.

It drove me nutz when Turk would have Trent go out there in shotgun continuously against the 8 man zone. You've got to pound the rock.

Look for Belichick to do this week 1 until we prove we can beat it.
                  Last edited by Commissioner; 05-01-2009, 12:32 PM.
                  Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• Philagape
                    WIN NOW
                    • Jul 2002

I certainly will not tolerate a lack of growth this year. He has to step up consistently, or dump him. No more horrendous three-game stretches.
                    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by colin
                      Yes, and Yes
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Mr. Pink
                        Peterman Sucks!
                        • Mar 2006

He's in his third year with a major offensive weapon in TO. If he stinks the joint up and we don't see marked improvement it's going to be that time to look in another direction. Hopefully that is not what happens or else we're looking at more rebuilding.

Comment

• Commissioner
                          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by yordad
                          Yes, and Yes
                          I don't remember Trents arm strength being an issue in a game. I don't remember anyone saying he couldn't make a certain throw....

He doesn't have a Brett Favre arm, but his arm isn't holding the team back.
                          Draft Gabbert at #3!

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Commissioner
                            I don't remember Trents arm strength being an issue in a game. I don't remember anyone saying he couldn't make a certain throw....

He doesn't have a Brett Favre arm, but his arm isn't holding the team back.
                            eh, there are certain throws he cant rally make, such as the deeper sideline out, but then not a ton of guys CAN make those throws that well.

Comment

• Beastie Bills
                              Senior Zoner
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Commissioner
                              I think the main problem with 3-4 Ds was not getting the running game established. Most teams learned to drop back 8 guys in coverage to cover and dared us to run. Your not gonna have a lot of windows with 8 guys in zone coverage. Hopefully with more skill players we'll be able to fight through the 8 man zones.

It drove me nutz when Turk would have Trent go out there in shotgun continuously against the 8 man zone. You've got to pound the rock.

Look for Belichick to do this week 1 until we prove we can beat it.
                              Very good post. It's a shame that most of the Trent-Bashers don't understand this.

Comment

Working...
                              X