PDA

View Full Version : Russ Brandon the GM

ghz in pittsburgh
05-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Reading that booster club notes from the thread about Jason Peters dealings, I can't help thinking that we're all wrong about his role in Ralph's inner circle. The way he talks about Hangartner, the scouting about Wood, etc. is very typical about other GMs talking about players and scouting.

You may ask what's wrong about being typical? Well, Brandon is a very non-typical GM because he does not have a scouting background. Most GMs have to have some great track records of scouting before getting into that position.

Modrak in the pre-draft presser talked about Brandon's devotion to player scouting, alway asking him questions etc. Looks like our Russ boy is not satisfied with just being a marketing guru and held on to his title. He might invest a lot into the football side business more than we know or expect.

Of course he still sounded a little amateurish when he used words like very surprised at Nelson being there etc., something a seasoned Modrak will never say. But I think as long as he put himself in proper perspective, we might just witness a rising GM in front of our eyes, if the last two drafts pan out.

The one danger is that he's full of himself after some (collective) success and starts to override other people's opinions.

THATHURMANATOR
05-01-2009, 11:31 AM
What is wrong with him saying he was surprised Nelson being there. Why would anyone have expected that?

Pinkerton Security
05-01-2009, 11:34 AM
one can only hope...

the teams with sustained success have stability in the front office because the dude there has it down to a science.

PIZ
05-01-2009, 11:34 AM
Then his agent says "you can't pay him round 4 money" when you had him rated much higher!

Just a guess, but it's not that big of a deal.

I am really impressed with how Russ is representing himself and this team. I'm feeling a lot better about the front office situation.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-01-2009, 11:39 AM
What is wrong with him saying he was surprised Nelson being there. Why would anyone have expected that?

There is nothing wrong. It's just that you don't hear those words from the very people who control that button like Belichick, Parcells, John Butler, Donahoe, Modrak. 20, 30, or 50 years ago when thses guys started, they may say that. Now nothing surprises them any more.

Griz78
05-01-2009, 11:43 AM
He's been around a lot of guys...Butler, Modrak, AJ Smith, Donahoe, Marv Levy, maybe he see the mistakes and the positives of each and is smart enough as a business guy to take that and become a strong GM.

kid mickey
05-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I think Modrak did say he was surprised to see him in the fourth round.

kid mickey
05-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Brandon didn't even talk about Nelson. All the talk on him was done by Jauron and Modrak.