• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghz in pittsburgh
    • Aug 2004

Loved what Gaughan said

[Comment From Clarence from Clarence]
    Talk me into getting excited about the O-Line. We traded our best player by far (peters). Now we have a fat, out of shape RT playing LT, a RG playing RT, 2 rookies at Guard, and a career backup at Center.

Mark Gaughan:

OK. Well let me first put on my rose-colored sunglasses. But before I do that I'll remind you that I was against trading Peters from the start, and was all for making him the highest-paid OT in NFL history (which is what it would have taken to keep him).

That being said, the BIlls have undergone a personality transplant on the O-line. They got three guys in the middle now who are nasty and tough. You can never go too far wrong drafting big (except when he's a 400 pounder from Texas). So the Bills have made a huge investment in their O-line. That can't be a bad thing. They made a huge investment in the O-line in 2006 in free agency, they just didn't get the right guy in Dockery. So they're committed to the O-line. They've been getting their butt kicked by Vince Wilfork for 6 years and by Kris Jenkins for 1 year. They finally have the solid interior to match up in the division. There is a very very low probability that these guards will be busts. So their middle looks good. Brad Butler started his entire career in college at right tackle. He's going back to the position he knows best. He was a little tall for a guard anyway. He's feisty too. Their line is super smart. Now as long as Langston Walker can handle left tackle, you have a front five that can win. ... How's that.

----------------------------------

Now I stated before that I don't think Butler is a quality RT. But I'd admit against 3-4 OLBs, he has a better chance. Considering all our foes in the division plays 3-4, I can understand the move if it happens.

I guess going 0 for in AFC east really shook up the brain of this team. They are re-tooling the whole O-Line to fight those big nose tackles. They are considering no-huddle to neutralize the rushing OLBs, too ...
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

Re: Loved what Gaughan said

I, for one, thought Peter's was waaay overrated. Say what you want about the competition, but we were 5-1 with Walker at LT.

I also think we needed to get faster, stronger, more stout guards on this team. I think the OL is upgraded from last year.

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Pride
      I, for one, thought Peter's was waaay overrated. Say what you want about the competition, but we were 5-1 with Walker at LT.

I also think we needed to get faster, stronger, more stout guards on this team. I think the OL is upgraded from last year.
      Um, Walker only played 2 of those first 6 games at LT. He didn't play all 6. We were 2-0 with Walker and 3-1 with Peters.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

Walker can capably handle LT IMO. Chambers is top notch depth as he's shown he can play, Bell is the project. Butler back at RT next to Levitre is my only q-mark.

Comment

• mikemac2001
          is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37
          Um, Walker only played 2 of those first 6 games at LT. He didn't play all 6. We were 2-0 with Walker and 3-1 with Peters.

that is a good point but peters was still being subbed in those games

Especially vs the jags

Peters was very talented but bottom line he didn't play up to his standards last year, he wanted to much money for his performance and seems like he really didn't want to work with the organization (he just wanted to be highest paid tackle) (and he gave up most sacks for a tackle) kinda backwards

MUCK
          FIAMI

Comment

• ChristopherWalken
            • Dec 2002

Walker worked well when playing LT last year. I'm more concerened about his conditioning as I can see him wearing down late in the season.

As for Mark's comments; I think he might be on to something but until the first 3-4 games are played we really don't know what we're dealing with here. There is more to playing football then size and aggressiveness. This newly assembled line will need a good amout of time to gel. They need to play as a cohesive unit and pad their "circle of trust". Quite honestly the youth on this line is freightening as rookie mistakes are going to be made. But at what cost? Loss of a QB for a season?

I don't care how smart, big or mean a lineman is. If you can't trust the guys on either side of you to do their job accurately, then you begin to cheat and compensate more and focus on technique and play design less.
            Last edited by ChristopherWalken; 05-01-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• ghz in pittsburgh
              • Aug 2004

Chris, I share your concern. I guess that's why they insist the supposedly smart Hangartner being the center this year as he probably will give potentially the two rookie guards instructions before the snap.

Looking on the bright side, the Jets did it with rookie C and LT two years ago. Two rookie Gs is certainly easier than that.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                The Voice of Reason
                • Jul 2007

Peters was honestly our best player?

11.5 sacks in 13 games and 8 penalties is our best player?

We really do suck then...
                Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by HargroveforMVP
                  Peters was honestly our best player?

11.5 sacks in 13 games and 8 penalties is our best player?

We really do suck then...
                  arrgh, we've been over this.

That stat is subjective. It's compiled by someone who is guessing and doesn't know the coverage calls, and it doesn't account for the number of times that Trent and JP held the ball too long (and we all know that was a frequent problem).

Peters was out of shape when he returned to the team, and he didn't play up to his standards in 08. There is no doubt about that.

But regurgitating numbers like this is just a desperate attempt to feel like we didn't lose a good player, when in reality we did.

For you Peters doubters, wait and see. Keep an eye on Peters in Philly and keep an eye on our OL. You'll come around.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

and btw, to all the people who criticize me for saying the same thing over and over again- where are you to criticize all the people parroting back that "Peters gave up 11.5 sacks" stat a zillion times?
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• casdhf
                      • Jul 2002

Because it is clearly a subject stat. There is no way for these people to prove it and you have no way to disprove it. Just ignore it and move on, if that's possible.
                      Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
                      cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• OpIv37
                        Acid Douching Asswipe
                        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by casdhf
                        Because it is clearly a subject stat. There is no way for these people to prove it and you have no way to disprove it. Just ignore it and move on, if that's possible.
                        It's really not possible.

I want to have intelligent discussion and debate about the team on here, but it's a little hard when people insist on basing their arguments on a subjective number.
                        MiKiDo Facebook
                        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
                          It's really not possible.

I want to have intelligent discussion and debate about the team on here, but it's a little hard when people insist on basing their arguments on a subjective number.
                          from the guy who continually quoted ONE source as gospel that said peters didnt give up 11.5 sacks? you're as guilty as the rest of them in bringing up the "subjective" sacks against stat.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                            • Jul 2002

Walker gave up 10.5 sacks vs. Raiders. Means nothing now.
                            sacrifice1
                            https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Tatonka
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Pride

we were not 5-1 with peters at LT.

Walker played LT for 1 game, the opener against Seattle. he rotated with peters for parts of game 2. that was it.

that said.. peters was overrated and played piss poor last year. no way is walker worse than how peters played.
                              "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
                              X