PDA

View Full Version : BillsZone Original: A Sense Of Urgency

shelby
05-03-2009, 07:28 AM
An original article by kid mickey....enjoy!

2008 was a season of disappointment for Buffalo Bills fans. After starting the season 4-1, they watched their lead of the AFC East dwindle down to another dismal 7-9 record, finishing last in the division, and keeping the play-off drought alive. Some could argue that bad coaching was the reason this team was held back. Going back to the Jets game in the Meadowlands with the lead 27-24, the Bills opted to pass the ball on second down. The end result: Jason Peters whiffing on a block that resulted in Losman fumbling the football, and the Jets ultimately winning the game 31-27. If that doesn’t sum up the heartbreak the Buffalo Bills fan base has felt since the 2000 home playoff loss to the Tennessee Titans, I don’t know what does. Frank Wycheck still haunts my dreams.

<o:p> </o:p> The Bills made a solid improvement on defense, even though they were ranked in the back of the pack in sacks with only 24 takedowns. They made marginal improvements in the pass defense, and even improved against the run.

Defense really wasn’t the problem. If your starting QB only has 11 touchdowns and 2500 yards passing, there is a problem. With a lackluster TE to throw to and the rookie WR not really meeting expectations, Lee Evans is still going to be double and triple covered all game long. The end result: he only caught three touchdowns himself.

In comes Terrell Owens. This is a win-win situation for the Bills. The guy may be up there in years, but he can still play the game, and command the respect of DB’s. Belichick obviously thought the move warranted attention, as he went and got the corner who knows how to best defend him in Shawn Springs. A lot of news pundits viewed that this was a move made out of desperation. Well let me just say this, if your team hasn’t made the playoffs since 1999-2000, wouldn’t you be a little desperate?

more.... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/05/03/a_sense_of_urgency.php)

OpIv37
05-03-2009, 08:38 PM
How is trading Greer for Florence an improvement in pass defense? That makes zero sense.

And who did we add to help against the run? No one. Maybin's strength is the pass rush and he struggled against the run in college.

ParanoidAndroid
05-03-2009, 09:00 PM
How is trading Greer for Florence an improvement in pass defense? That makes zero sense.

And who did we add to help against the run? No one. Maybin's strength is the pass rush and he struggled against the run in college.

He's talking about the improvement from 2007 to 2008. I didn't actually think the pass defense was better but the Bills were better against the run with the addition of Stroud.

kid mickey
05-03-2009, 09:14 PM
Statistically speaking the defense was better from 2007 to 2008. Read the article and make an assessment and read it carefully. I never write anything that doesn't pertain to something I haven't already seen. Not a fortune teller so all I can do is go on what I've seen. Doesn't really say how the Bills are going to do this year. Its lets the reader make up his or her mind on what direction of the Bills are going.