Reasons for getting Byrd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Reasons for getting Byrd

Reason number 1. 27th in INTs.
    Reason number 2. 6th most rushes over 20 yds
    Reason number 3. 4th most rushes over 40 yds
    Reason number 4. Tony Gonzalez

Then you could use the who was availble. Maualuga, cant play cover 2. Everette, we got maybin, payed lots of money on Denney, Kelsy, and Schobel, and got Maybin and Ellis. Guards, we got the best in the draft. Tackle, Butler fills that. TE, we got the best recieving TE in draft. LB, Harris is probably the best fit for us in the whole draft and we got him in the 5th.
    Last edited by Mitchell55; 05-04-2009, 01:06 AM.
  • Lexwhat
    • Feb 2005

Re: Reasons for getting Byrd

What does Tony GONZALEZ have to do with this???

Comment

• Mitchell55
      only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Lexwhat
      What does Tony GONZALEZ have to do with this???

Turn on the KC game and watch Ko and Scott get burned for 2 TDs and 100+ yds. Our Safteys cant cover is my point.

Comment

• elltrain22
        • Sep 2003

I still am on the fence about Byrd. Considering who was still on the board, I'm gonna be highly critical on him, b/c I wanted us to take other players.
        If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• methos4ever
          • Apr 2004

Scott did really well in terms of man coverage on most of the tight ends he had coverage on. Simpson, however did not do a good job with covering over the top to prevent TG getting open.

Comment

• yordad
            • Dec 2007

Question? How great was Crowell in coverage? And, since he was a straight beast, how much did it really matter? He was the best LB we had in a while. Physical. Plays around the line.

If you don't like E. Brown, Clint Sintim was there.
            "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
              Pinkerton's son
              • Feb 2006

reason #1 in my book: Ko Simpson blows so hard that Bryan Scott has routinely been playing over him.

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Byrd got all those INT's as a CB.

In Buffalo, he's going to be a S. The excuse for Whitner is that the "system" keeps him from making big plays. Why would it be any different for Byrd?
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37

In Buffalo, he's going to be a S. The excuse for Whitner is that the "system" keeps him from making big plays. Why would it be any different for Byrd?
                  Because Whitner had 3 career INT's in college, from what I can see. Whitner obviously didn't have ballhawking skills even in college. Byrd was great at getting INT's in college...which may or may not translate to the NFL. But if you don't have those skills in college, you won't have them in the NFL. At least Byrd has a chance to be a ballhawk in our secondary.
                  "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                  - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• mikemac2001
                    is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                    • Mar 2003

Gotta love the idea of having a Ball Hawing safety sick of these bruisers in the back who don't even bruise anyone....i thought Ko was gonna be our ball hawker but after his injury he is far from anything.

Hopefully this works out if not i know we will hear about it years to come

MUCK
                    FIAMI

Comment

• Lexwhat
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by psubills62
                      Because Whitner had 3 career INT's in college, from what I can see. Whitner obviously didn't have ballhawking skills even in college. Byrd was great at getting INT's in college...which may or may not translate to the NFL. But if you don't have those skills in college, you won't have them in the NFL. At least Byrd has a chance to be a ballhawk in our secondary.
                      So what exactly was the reason for drafting Whitner so high then??

I know, I know: He's "fast, smart, and versatile."

...But he doesn't break up passes. He doesn't intercept the ball. He doesn't even deliver the big hit that makes WRs scared to come across the middle.

Since people don't like the comparison with Polamalu or Ed Reed, how about Brian Dawkins? Rodney Harrison of 2-3 years ago?

Comment

• psubills62
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                        So what exactly was the reason for drafting Whitner so high then??

I know, I know: He's "fast, smart, and versatile."

...But he doesn't break up passes. He doesn't intercept the ball. He doesn't even deliver the big hit that makes WRs scared to come across the middle.

Since people don't like the comparison with Polamalu or Ed Reed, how about Brian Dawkins? Rodney Harrison of 2-3 years ago?
                        Probably because Whitner was young, and showed good ability against the run. He was a solid safety who they thought could grow into something more.

As far as the "big hit" - do you not remember his hit against Chad Johnson, where they had to take "Ocho Cinco" out on a stretcher? That's not a big hit?

I'm not necessarily defending the Whitner pick because I've been pretty disappointed with him. But at the time, I'm sure OBD thought he had the potential to develop into a ballhawking safety. Now, they're very close to admitting that he won't, and that you need to be a ballhawk from the start to ever be an interception machine in the NFL.
                        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
                        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Probably because Whitner was young, and showed good ability against the run. He was a solid safety who they thought could grow into something more.

As far as the "big hit" - do you not remember his hit against Chad Johnson, where they had to take "Ocho Cinco" out on a stretcher? That's not a big hit?

I'm not necessarily defending the Whitner pick because I've been pretty disappointed with him. But at the time, I'm sure OBD thought he had the potential to develop into a ballhawking safety. Now, they're very close to admitting that he won't, and that you need to be a ballhawk from the start to ever be an interception machine in the NFL.
                          The hit on CJ was Whitner's ONLY big hit in three years. Hell, a few years ago the Jets punter put the smackdown on Parrish after a big return. Should the punter now be referred to as a "big hitter"?
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by OpIv37

Not just the system but the position in the system. Byrd will be at FS, not SS where Whitner has been. I agree with OBD on this though. I like Byrd at FS better than moving Whitner.
                            Last edited by madness; 05-04-2009, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Good post overall. I do agree for the most part.

However, ONE big hit in 3 years shouldn't mean anything. Even Keith Ellison has had 2 interceptions in 3 years, but that doesn't make him a playmaker.

I gave up on the Polamalu comparison, but Whitner can't even play like a Dawkins at age 35 (I'm also an Eagles fan). Coordinators gameplanned for Dawkins / Harrison. WRs were cognizant of them when they were on the field.

I actually don't have a problem with the Byrd pick. I think he could be a great player. But drafting him that high basically means we are admitting the shortcomings of both Whitner and Simpson. Our 1st round pick, #8 overall, is not the cornerstone of our franchise by any stretch of the imagination. Draft picks like them are the reason we are a losing franchise.

Comment

Working...
                              X