X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Bills not alone in coveting Byrd

As different stories emerge from draft weekend, it appears the Bills decision to select Jairus Byrd in round two was timely since there was a team right behind them that had their eyes on him.

According to ESPN.com’s John Clayton the 49ers were going to take Byrd with the 43rd pick, the one right after Buffalo’s at 42, but the Bills picked the Oregon ballhawk off the board and San Fran promptly traded out of the pick allowing the Panthers to surrender a first round pick in 2010 to get Everette Brown.

Buffalo got the luck of the draw in round two. The Bills and Niners had the same record last year (7-9), but because the Niners had a weaker schedule than Buffalo and still only won 7 games they got to pick ahead of the Bills in round one.

But the rule states that the two teams rotate back and forth by round, with Buffalo selecting 10th in round two and San Fran 11th. And that continues to alternate round by round through the draft.

If that rule wasn’t in place, Byrd would have been there for San Fran to scoop up at pick 42.

• Raptor
    • Jan 2009

Re: Bills not alone in coveting Byrd

cool

Comment

• ptd86
      • Dec 2006

id rather have what the niners got

Comment

• Oaf
        Do you read what you write?
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ptd86
        id rather have what the niners got
        No way.

Although, in the exact same situation in 07, the 9er's stole Patrick Willis from us.

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

hated the pick at first, but that was because I thought we picked him to be a CB. After I heard we wanted to move him to the FS spot, I watched some film and highlights and I really like Byrd. We can use a ball hawk. Whitner and Simpson showed us nothing on that front. Am I wrong?
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• Mitchell55
            only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
            • Feb 2008

Thats what they get. Taking Vernon and Willis. Its pay back.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by BillsWin
              hated the pick at first, but that was because I thought we picked him to be a CB. After I heard we wanted to move him to the FS spot, I watched some film and highlights and I really like Byrd. We can use a ball hawk. Whitner and Simpson showed us nothing on that front. Am I wrong?
              A pass rush can make an average secondary look stellar. Everette brown was a plus +25, or more, on my big board at 42.

I really hope Byrd is good. I will be looking back at this in three years.
              Last edited by yordad; 05-04-2009, 10:43 PM.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• ServoBillieves
                The Voice of Reason
                • Jul 2007

Byrd is a fantastic acquisition. Although we have our ballhawks at corner in McGee and McKelvin, and our outside rush stopper/blitzer/nickle mang in Ashton if he's healthy, I was also pissed when I saw "Jairus Byrd, CB". Now that I know he's a FS, having a run stuffing Safety in Donte with a ballhawk in Byrd makes the Pat's games a little easier to watch.

Also, we picked up Maybin, can we drop that Everette Brown was there? Sure, he was good, but what happened when the Broncos picked up two pass rushers a year or two back? I don't believe either is starting, hence the Ayers pick up.
                Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

I'm all for getting INT's from a Safety, like the rest of the NFL does.

I think back through our history...George Saimes, Tom Janik, Tony Greene, Jeff Nixon, Steve Freeman, Mark Kelso, Henry Jones...they could all find the ball but currently we can't get ANY INT's from our Saeties.

Incredible. Byrd may a better pick than many think.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• Luisito23
                    Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                    • Apr 2003

People always say that SF stole Willis from us, but I thought that we were set to take Lynch even if Patrick was still there?
                    "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                    ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                    ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                    ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• Tatonka
                      • Jul 2002

i do like the byrd pick alot and the news out of the rookie minicamp was good.

that being said.. whenever there is a pick that makes you raise an eyebrow.. a "he was getting ready to come off the board" story comes out.. just like when the raiders drafted that safety out of ohio that no one even heard of, a story came about about how the bears were going to take him. that being said.. i still like the pick and after calming down from my initial displeasure, i am really looking forward to seeing him.

i think for most of us.. had they announced that the guy was a Free Safety instead of cornerback, we would have felt a lot better up front. same with Nick Harris.
                      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Canadian'eh!
                        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Luisito23
                        People always say that SF stole Willis from us, but I thought that we were set to take Lynch even if Patrick was still there?
                        I don't think so.

The Bills CLEARLY had LB as it's top priority. Hence the trade up to get Poz. They never thought Poz would be there at the top of round 2 as they have often said.

So I'm fairly sure that if Patrick Willis had been there he would have been the pick. He was FAR AND AWAY the safest and most talented D pick in that draft.

So I think they would have taken him and gone RB in round 2 or so.

Too bad they didn't take Beason or Harris though. Both have been much better than Poz so far.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

If Byrd turns out to be the playmaking FS that many of us expect, he will do wonders for this team.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• mybills
                            81 st zoner
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin
                            Nothing? Yes, you're wrong because they did show glimpses. But I know what you mean.
                            I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• mybills
                              81 st zoner
                              • Jul 2002

which one got robbed at NE for going out of bounds even though he was 10 yds from the side line?
                              I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

Working...
                              X