• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Is Trent ready to take that step?

Just a nice rant on Trent Edwards and some on the o-line by BillsWin

Trent Edwards is in a unique spot. He is either the franchise quarterback of the future, and the Bills will follow him and he will lead them to the promise land, or he is a dud, a mirage. The talent and intelligence he showed in flashes were just a slight of hand trick set to make the fan base salivate at the possibilities of a franchise QB...

Trent Edwards was once the top rated QB coming out of college. An extremely smart student, a Stanford man and quite an athlete, Trent has certain tools that make him appear to be a franchise QB. I think most fans can understand why the Bills fell in love with him and I think we all know why we were so eager for an intelligent being under center after the botched "Losman Experiment".

Trent showed much promise through the first six games of last season. Although he may or may not have been hit so hard in the fifth that he was seeing stars and thinking with 100% certainty he was in fact a catholic school girl on a field trip to the zoo... All joking aside, Edwards was the undisputed leader of a team on top of a tough division.

In a 6 game spread, well, 5 and three attempts in the 6th game, Trent was 106 for 152 which is completing 70% of all his throws, and had a 5:2 touchdown to INT ratio with 1,209 yards through the air.

Now, those arent exactly Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady numbers, but they were pretty impressive for a second year third round draft pick, who wasn't technically drafted to be a starter in the first place. His main stat; Trent Edwards was 5-0 in games he started and finished. Hell, in the game he got knocked the **** out in he was 3 for 3 to start the game and looked alright if I remember correctly.

The real question is, does his regression continue, or has the sophomore slump come to an end? is Trent Edwards ready to step up to the plate, or are we getting so wrapped up in what could be that we should be wondering who we should take in the first round next year. Trust me, I would love to see Bradford or McCoy throwing to Evans next season. I like them both. Covering the Big XII for the last 4 years does that to you.

However if I were to give an honest opinion on the topic I would say that Trent is the guy for at least the next 5 years until we can't afford another big raise for the franchise QB. Yes, despite my predjudices and bias opinion on getting some new blood, I really think that Edwards is "the guy".

I think this is the year we will see who the real Edwards is. He has been trying to break out of his shell for about a year and a half now. I saw it in his rookie year where he led the no huddle offense flawlessly against a great Baltimore defense. I saw it in his sophomore year when he led back to back 4th quarter comebacks even though he was getting crushed from his blindside because of the fatty fatty fat fat trying to shake off a lazy offseason.

I saw it most especially in the San Diego game. There were moments and throws in that game that made the die-hards' hearts jump clear out of their throats. Enough with the mushy-gushy, let's get to the point here.

Edwards will be playing without a pro-bowl left tackle (some pro-bowler...), he will be playing under the ass of a former backup. He will have two rookies anchoring the middle of the line and he will have two tackles playing in new spots. "AND?"

Wood and Levitre are capable. They are two highly rated players coming into this season and should be ready to go come monday night at New England. Wood is a mean guy and can most definetly hold his own in the NFL. Just read the scouting reports, or watch film if you're as crazy obsessed as I am. Levitre was my #2 guard coming into the draft, but I only put him at #2 because I know Duke Robinson, talked with him and was still thinking about his junior year, which was great btw, and forgot how much he regressed his senior season. Levitre is a pretty good player. Well worth a 2nd and Im sure he will come in ready to go. Both are athletic and strong.

Hangnarter is a smart guy. I still swear and beg that OBD moves him to RG, and let Wood play his natural position at the pivot. I just believe in my gut that Wood would eventually become our hull. Our no huddle genius gritty center that Trent can learn and grow with. But, OBD has their own opinions and from what I have heard, Hang-nail is a real good blocker. and with those mean finishers of rookies next to him he should be able to anchor that line well.

As for the tackles, relax people. Both Butler and Walker have enough NFL experience to hold their own. Butler is moving to his natural spot at tackle. Walker is a little too big to play left tackle, but he looked just fine to me in the opener last season. I think with this whole offseason to gell, this o-line looks ready and able.

Trent will have some consistency on the o-line. He didnt get that last season. Trent also has weapons, I dont think I have to go into depth on them, but let me just mention a few.
    • T.O, believe it or not he will make a huge impact on the team on three fronts. He will make his own catches and his own scores and stats, he will draw attention from Evans, and he will make defenses respect us enough not to stock the box.
    • Evans, come now people, he has always been a home run threat and an asset.
    • Reed is back. Him and Edwards are on a second wavelength together.
    • Lynch, when he is back he is as explosive as some of the better backs in the league.
    Not mentioning the other two backs, the 2nd year wide outs or the new TE, who will surely make Trent's life easier.

The Bills are also reverting back to their glory days. No-huddle. All the time. I LOVE IT. Show me a Bills fan who doesn't!!! Edwards is smart enough and accurate enough to run the no huddle with ease and deadly skills.

Trent has everything that the past I dont know how many Bills quarter backs have only dreamed of having at their disposal. This is his year. I cannot bring myself to any reasonably explaination as to why he doesnt just take off this year.

Weapons, Check
    O-line, Check
    compatible system, Check
    consistency in the organization, Check
    time to gell, Check
    experience, Check

It is all on him now. It is my prediction that if Trent stays healthy the whole season there is no reason why he will not take that next step and take the Bills to the playoffs, and if he doesn't, I get to see my main man Bradford in a Bills uni possibly...

Is Trent Edwards going to take that next step this season? All signs point to yes and I predict such.

Random Edwards predictions/ expectations: Record of 10-6 at least, 3,000+ yards, 20+ TDs, 10- INTS, an improved rating/ accuracy %.

All very attainable given what he has to work with.

Thanks for reading if you liked, I could use some rep points. My stock went from a relatively good number to piss poor in one night. I blame my need for drama with a select few members...
    Last edited by BillsWin; 05-05-2009, 12:47 AM.
    I am The Batman.
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Re: Is Trent ready to take that step?

I like our recieving core. Lofton, Gault, and Ward

Comment

• BillsWin
      man amongst boys
      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Mitchell55
      I like our recieving core. Lofton, Gault, and Ward
      It really is something to marvel at...

You have Lee Evans, a fast, fast sucker who has pretty sure hands and is truly a worthy #1.

T.O. a FIRST BALLOT HOFer! who is about as sure a contributor as any.

Reed back in his natural spot.

up and coming Johnson.

Hardy is a physical freak. but is raw, but who cares when you have those front 3 guys.
      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Syderick
        • Apr 2006

The hot seat for Trent and Dick. I agree with the predictions/ expectations.
        3,000,000th post on BZ!

Comment

• BillsWin
          man amongst boys
          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by syd1364
          The hot seat for Trent and Dick. I agree with the predictions/ expectations.
          Well, I hate Dick. But this is a tough schedule he has ahead of him. He has the tools to be a wild card team, so expect him to at least do that. That is a high expectation but he cant keep getting these free-bees.
          I am The Batman.

Comment

• BillsWin
            man amongst boys
            • Oct 2008

I am hurt that funtimesyay read the thread but left no comment... I may cry. on the inside.
            I am The Batman.

Comment

• Mr. Pink
              Peterman Sucks!
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by BillsWin
              I am hurt that funtimesyay read the thread but left no comment... I may cry. on the inside.
              Grab a tissue.

Happy now?

Comment

• X-Era
                What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
                • Feb 2005

Whether he is ready or not, he has too...

And if he doesnt, we may be looking for his replacement next offseason.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                  H to the 12:20
                  • Jul 2002

I feel better about the team than I did before the draft, but I am still far from optimistic. While I agree that this is Trent's year to show if he is indeed the guy, I think it is unrealistic to expect all these rookies to come in and play like seasoned vets from day 1. Not one of the OL is playing on next to a guy he's played with before, and most are in positions they didn't play last year. The defense is in a pretty similar story - relying to much on rooks and guys who either haven't been productive at all, or in several years.

Comment

• yordad
                    • Dec 2007

Good read. I hope your right, and I found it entertaining. Few things though.... Trent wasn't the top QB coming out of college, and I will believe the no-huddle when I see it.

And, your receiving "thanks" 3 to 1 over giving them. To be loved, you gotta learn to love man, lol.
                    "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Dujek
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Jan 2008

I believe in Trent, as long as he stays healthy,

If Edwards plays 16 games the Bills will make the playoffs.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                        • Jul 2002

other than having a proven OC, Trent has been given everything a qb can ask for. Two proven wrs, and 3 rb's that can run and catch. No excuses .
                        sacrifice1
                        https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
                          • Apr 2003

even though he was getting crushed from his blindside because of the fatty fatty fat fat trying to shake off a lazy offseason.

Good write up, man. Don't fret about Wood. I think the bills see him as their future pivot man as well. With everything on the line this season, you just don't start a rookie at center. They feel confident that Hang can hold the spot down for a year (or two) while Wood gets his feet wet. Once Wood is ready, I expect to see them swap positions.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                            • Mar 2005

When Trent Edwards and Josh Reed started and finished games together last year the team was 7-1. That stat tells you everything you need to know about Trent Edwards.

Getting TO in the off-season should have made Trent's job much easier.

Retooling the entire o-line is really unfair to a QB that knows he is going into an important year for his career.

The Texans totured a guy that should have had a decent NFL career if he hadn't developed bad habits trying to constantly avoid a pass rush.

Let's hope Trent doesn't suffer the same fate.

Comment

• yordad
                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                              When Trent Edwards and Josh Reed started and finished games together last year the team was 7-1. That stat tells you everything you need to know about Trent Edwards.

Getting TO in the off-season should have made Trent's job much easier.

Retooling the entire o-line is really unfair to a QB that knows he is going into an important year for his career.

The Texans totured a guy that should have had a decent NFL career if he hadn't developed bad habits trying to constantly avoid a pass rush.

Let's hope Trent doesn't suffer the same fate.
                              All that tells me is Josh Reed has a habit of being injured when the Bills play against a 3-4 defense.
                              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

Working...
                              X