PDA

View Full Version : The Peters trade - Picks we received in return

psubills62
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
I do NOT want to revisit any of the tired old arguments about Peters.

Instead, I was thinking about the picks we received in return. A late first-rounder, a fourth and a sixth next year.

I know that I, and a lot of other people, were upset that we didn't get Philly's 21st pick instead of the 28th pick.

So I was thinking...what if we had gotten the 21st pick, and no fourth-rounder? It sounded like Eric Wood was the guy they were targeting all along. Would they have picked him at 21 anyway? And if they did, then traded to get Levitre, they wouldn't have had a 3rd or 4th round pick, and there's almost no chance they could have gotten Shawn Nelson.

Of course, things probably would have turned out differently overall. And while I'd love to have gotten more value out of the trade, I'd say it turned out pretty decently for us, IF (I'm including this part for people like Op, HH, et al) Nelson and Wood are as good as their potential implies.

What do you guys think, looking back on the picks and what you were hoping we'd get in picks vs. what we got?

The Spaz
05-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Eactly. I see the trade as us getting 3 players, Wood, Levitre and Nelson. Although they are rookies I see them as 3 starters for the price of 1.

psubills62
05-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Eactly. I see the trade as us getting 3 players, Wood, Levitre and Nelson. Although they are rookies I see them as 3 starters for the price of 1.

While none of the picks we received were directly involved in the Levitre trade, I think that having the extra fourth-rounder gave them the courage to trade up and leave themselves without a third-rounder. I don't know if they would have traded up without that extra fourth.

yordad
05-05-2009, 02:43 PM
I believe Michael Oher would have been the obvious selection at 21. Then again, IMO, they missed many of the obvious selections throughout the weekend, so who knows.

psubills62
05-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I believe Michael Oher would have been the obvious selection at 21. Then again, IMO, they missed many of the obvious selections throughout the weekend, so who knows.

That's the thing...maybe it would have been obvious to you. But I think two things indicate that they wouldn't have picked Oher: 1) they passed on him at #11, and 2) they didn't take an OT the entire draft (I'm not counting Levitre). If they had valued an OT that much, why didn't they take Joel Bell, Gerald Cadogan or someone else with at least their 7th round pick?

OpIv37
05-05-2009, 03:10 PM
I honestly think it's tough to speculate.

Going into the draft, we had holes at OT, OG, DE, OLB, and TE, and to a lesser extent S and DT (I'm convinced that this FO isn't sold on McCargo and I get the feeling they're running out of patience with K. Williams).

There is no way in hell we were going to fill all those needs in one draft- they had to pick and choose based on who was on the board and which positions needed the most help. So, there are a lot of variables at place here.

psubills62
05-05-2009, 03:19 PM
I honestly think it's tough to speculate.

Going into the draft, we had holes at OT, OG, DE, OLB, and TE, and to a lesser extent S and DT (I'm convinced that this FO isn't sold on McCargo and I get the feeling they're running out of patience with K. Williams).

There is no way in hell we were going to fill all those needs in one draft- they had to pick and choose based on who was on the board and which positions needed the most help. So, there are a lot of variables at place here.

I agree. There's three other guys that, imo, they may have chosen at 21: Mack, Peria Jerry and Clay Matthews. Although if Cleveland didn't trade down a fourth time, I'm assuming they would have taken Mack at 19...maybe.

You're right, there's a lot of variables. But you really can't see the Bills FO reaching for Wood at 21, if he's the guy they were targeting? It seems obvious to me that they thought the interior OL was a much, much bigger need than OT.

Things may have gone differently, but I don't see them going too much differently, especially between 21 and 28.

yordad
05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
That's the thing...maybe it would have been obvious to you. But I think two things indicate that they wouldn't have picked Oher: 1) they passed on him at #11, and 2) they didn't take an OT the entire draft (I'm not counting Levitre). If they had valued an OT that much, why didn't they take Joel Bell, Gerald Cadogan or someone else with at least their 7th round pick?Because they lack a certain amount of logic(?). :idunno:

elltrain22
05-05-2009, 05:19 PM
I see this trade possibly impacting our team in a big, big way. Think about it. Philly could've dealt us a future star o-lineman, a future star TE, and gave us leverage to deal up in the 2nd to get another future star o-lineman. All is still very, very much up the air, b/c sometimes ya never know how players will translate into the NFL, but I love the possibilities.:xmas: