PDA

View Full Version : BillsZone Original: A New Bills Philosophy Emerges

shelby
05-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Lawesome's latest...enjoy!

For many years now, the Bills have been all about being safe. Sure, there were relatively bold moves like the McGahee pick, bringing in Bledsoe, drafting J.P. Losman, but the mantra has generally been about bringing in the safe pick. The team was a bunch of nice guys, who seemingly wilted whenever the heat was on.

Well folks, the times, they seem to be changing. It looks, to me at least, that Russ Brandon has actually been handed the keys to the team and is on the accelerator.

It seems the Bills have rediscovered the concept of the playmaker in their scheme. It started with the Leodis McKelvin pick, the extension of Lee Evans, continued with the Owens signing, and was absolutely reinforced on draft day. I was no big Aaron Maybin fan on draft day, but I do see the immense potential he possesses. If he can get to the QB or chase down some RBs and wreck some general havoc, then he is well worth the pick.
The pick that really excited me was Jarius Byrd. The man is a big playmaker in the secondary. Putting him over top of Leodis and Terrance McGee takes a ton of pressure off of Whitner, who is just not a ball hawk. Hopefully, he lets Whitner take on an active close to the line, enforcer-like role in our defense, which I feel he is more suited for.

Raw or not, you have to love the Shawn Nelson pick. Though he may not be an every down player, I am excited to see if the Bills can take advantage of the huge matchup problems that Nelson should be able to create.

The other change is a general change in attitude. For all intents, the Jason Peters trade turned into Peters for Eric Wood and Andy Levitre. Now, I am not here to tell you that Wood and Levitre will replace the ability that Peters possessed, but I do believe that they do bring a far more aggressive, lunchpail, knock your teeth out mentality, which this offensive line has lacked for a long, long time. Will it work? Who knows, but I suspect that, competition wise, a line of Walker, Levitre, Hangartner, Wood and Butler will be far more uncomfortable to play against than what we have thrown out on the field prior to this year.

more..... (http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2009/05/05/a_new_bills_philosophy_emerges.php)

psubills62
05-05-2009, 03:41 PM
I agree Lawesome. Nice job.

I think that the drafting of Levitre and Wood signify a philosophy that we want to be one of those teams that runs the ball right down your throat. Even if you stack 8-9 in the box, we want to get that push where our guys can find a hole and get 4+ yards out of it every time. We don't want to be pushed back, and we want to be able to march down the field with our run game, especially at the end of the game if we have a lead.

Also, we want the running game to open up the passing game. It seems for several years that's what Buffalo has been trying to do, but never had the powerful OL for it. Maybe they still don't, but they are trying to get it, that's for sure.

BigZ
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
Agreed.

As big as our offensive line was last year, they played soft. I was so frustrated that they couldn't blow people away when we needed just a few feet. They also looked like they were saying "so what" when they missed on 3rd and short.

From what I've been reading, the guys coming in are going to be really upset if they fail.

Then again, I've been a Bills fan since I was 10 and the team came into existence so I might just be an overly optimistic fan!

madness
05-06-2009, 08:06 AM
If we could run straight up the middle successfully this year, I wouldn't even know how to act.

diggemsmack
05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k142/geebeediggem/fail-1.jpg