X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

ESPN: Favre, Vikes to discuss playing

Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress and quarterback Brett Favre plan to meet at an undisclosed location later this week to discuss the possibility of the former Packers and Jets quarterback renouncing his retirement from the NFL to play the 2009 season with the Vikings, according to a source with direct knowledge of discussions between the two parties.

There is a mutual understanding that sometime soon thereafter Favre will decide whether to sign with the Vikings. The team would expect him to participate fully in offseason minicamps and training camps, which he missed last year with the Jets.

Favre has not been working out and declined to have surgery to repair the torn biceps tendon that plagued him the final month of last season.

Favre may believe the injury can heal on its own as did a similar problem with his left shoulder while he played in Green Bay. Favre wanted to play for the Vikings last season, but the Packers specifically eliminated their NFC North rivals as a potential destination for the Green Bay icon.

While Favre had been emphatic about not returning next season, he never anticipated the Jets would release him after drafting Mark Sanchez in the first round and could see the Vikings as the opportunity to fulfill the goal he was deprived of last season -- winning a Super Bowl.

Favre admitted to ESPN that he was motivated to play in 2008 largely because of his resentment toward Packers general manager Ted Thompson.

The Vikings had planned to have Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels compete for the starting quarterback position in training camp. With Jackson battling injuries last season, journeyman Gus Frerotte started 11 games and led the Vikes in passing.

Minnesota finished 10-6 to capture the NFC North but lost to the Eagles in the first round of the playoffs in a game started by Jackson.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4142857
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • FlyingDutchman
    • Apr 2005

Re: ESPN: Favre, Vikes to discuss playing

Favre is really killing his legacy with me personally. This has been a 5 year long circus with him. If he still wanted to play, he should have stayed with the Pack. Hell they were in the NFC championship game

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
      • Apr 2005

Tell you what though, this would be perfect for the Vikes

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Favre is actually turning into a joke. Hey, Brett, how about a little dignity?
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Prov401
          President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
          • Aug 2008

This is one of the only options out there that would allow Favre not having to throw the ball 25+ times a game. I personally think Favre is a tad overated, but he would be a great upgrade over Sage and Tavaris. On top of that, he has the best Back in the NFL to hand the ball off to, in AP. Chester Taylor is also a capable starting back. If Brett signs with the Vikes, I got them going to the playoffs....And deep in the playoffs.

Comment

• more cowbell
            • Apr 2006

lol favre is such an ass-clown
            The last time the Bills made the playoffs was 1999.

Comment

• elltrain22
              • Sep 2003

He is killing his legacy, and he is also an ass-clown lately, but if he wants to play football again, thats cool w/ me.
              If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• lordofgun
                in charge of you

Administrator Emeritus
                • Jul 2002

I love it. Favre is fun to watch.

<a href="http://www.buzzdash.com/index.php?page=buzzbite&amp;BB_id=119588">Do you like me?</a> | <a href="http://www.buzzdash.com">BuzzDash polls</a>

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                  • Feb 2005

ugh... Farve... don't say you're going to retire for real if you know deep down that you are open to continuing to play

He has seriously taken his reputation from that of legend status to lame-ass.
                  Last edited by DMBcrew36; 05-05-2009, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Michael82
                    • Jul 2002

I hope he signs with the Vikings and the Packers face him and take him out of the game. He is really starting to bug me with the way he's acting. What a piece of ****! Have some dignity, Brett! You got nothing left. It's time for you to retire and forgive and forget. Retire a Packer, before it's too late. If he becomes a Viking, I have a feeling that it will be the final thing to push Packers fans away.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mikey82
                      I hope he signs with the Vikings and the Packers face him and take him out of the game. He is really starting to bug me with the way he's acting. What a piece of ****! Have some dignity, Brett! You got nothing left. It's time for you to retire and forgive and forget. Retire a Packer, before it's too late. If he becomes a Viking, I have a feeling that it will be the final thing to push Packers fans away.
                      At least we'd get to see his hot wife on TV?

Comment

• Prov401
                        President of WADL (Whitner Anti-Defamation League)
                        • Aug 2008

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                        At least we'd get to see his hot wife on TV?
                        I second that.

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                          Favre is actually turning into a joke.

In my eyes he already is...
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• mayotm
                            • Jul 2003

Originally posted by lordofgun
                            I love it. Favre is fun to watch.
                            You're right. I really enjoy watching him turn the ball over 2 - 3 times a game.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                              Pinkerton's son
                              • Feb 2006

he was probably my favorite non-Bill ever before he retired the first time. Now, I am sick and tired of hearing about his dumb ass and wish he would just go away. I think its the same way with lots of non-Packers fans that used to love him.

Comment

Working...
                              X