PDA

View Full Version : Levi Jones Released

ghz in pittsburgh
05-06-2009, 11:22 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=2551

It'd be perfect for the Bills to get him for a year. But Arizona wants him, we have no chance.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2009, 11:24 AM
It says he was interested in Arizona not the other way around.

elltrain22
05-06-2009, 11:28 AM
was just going to post that. ya beat me to it

yordad
05-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Why would we have no chance if Arizona was interested?

WeAreArthurMoates
05-06-2009, 11:32 AM
Why would we have no chance if Arizona was interested?
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Because Arizona's cheap and they have no money left to sign anyone seeing there trying to lock up Wilson, Dansby and Boldin.

Italian Stallion
05-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Because Arizona's cheap and they have no money left to sign anyone seeing there trying to lock up Wilson, Dansby and Boldin.

True.. this is exactly why we may have a chance?

I mean, I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone on this board when I say (despite what may have happened to his career in Cincy) a Levi Jones- Langston Walker competition for LT makes me feel a whole lot better than Kirk Chambers as the primary guy behind LW.

Jaybird
05-06-2009, 11:40 AM
sign him up. If he has lost a step he can play RT

ChristopherWalken
05-06-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't know if the Bills would be interested. Seems they would have addressed it in the draft if it was a legitimate concern of theirs.

Who knows though? Perhaps they anticipated a few releases and were gambling on reeling an OT in.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I think Levi is from Arizona and I believe he said in the past that he'd like to play at home.

Above all, though, his health would be a bigger concern for anyone interested.

Mahdi
05-06-2009, 12:14 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/05/06/bengals-cut-levi-jones

This article on PFT says to look for Buffalo to go after Jones.

Lexwhat
05-06-2009, 12:30 PM
True.. this is exactly why we may have a chance?

I mean, I'm pretty sure I speak for everyone on this board when I say (despite what may have happened to his career in Cincy) a Levi Jones- Langston Walker competition for LT makes me feel a whole lot better than Kirk Chambers as the primary guy behind LW.

I somewhat disagree, but I get your point. I would put Langston Walker as the starter at RT and plug in Jones at LT.

Brad Butler can back up both Guard positions, while Kirk Chambers can back up RT.

And if Levi Jones is ever injured, move Walker over to LT and put Chambers or Butler at RT.

I would be THRILLED if we went out and signed Levi Jones. I will have to applaud Russ Brandon if he get this done.

BillsWin
05-06-2009, 12:33 PM
I would like that pick up. He can compete with Walker and we will see what happens. Alot of people's only knock on the Bills' offense is their offensive line. A little competition can help even that out a bit.

jimbohastle51
05-06-2009, 12:39 PM
arizona already has a LT in gandy who has been pretty good for them. levi would have competition there. if he signs with buffalo he would basically be plugged in as the starter from day one. yes there would be "competition" but non from a guy who has nearly as much expirience at the position as levi. also it would alow levitre to sit a year and learn. every arcticle i read says that they might not let levitre start this season. this wood be a way to still have a solid vetran line and only have to worry about one rookie getting extensive playing time. and then if an injury occurs to hangartner or butler you can swing wood into center and levitre into guard or levitre in at the other guard spot. this would allow some depth and not as much of a make shift line in a very important year.

kernowboy
05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
It would be a superb signing.

At only 29, he has a good 5years in the tank, and I think a $30m/5year deal could lock him down.

He's head and shoulders above anyone else we could start at LT. I definitely would not start both Levitre and Woods this season. Two rookies learning new positions on the OL is two too many and Butler has done a more than adequate job at RG. In fact, as Walker's contract winds down I can see Butler being moved outside, and eventually Woods becoming the RG with Levitre on the LG.

I would roll with Jones-Levitre/Woods-Hangartner-Butler-Walker.

Signing Jones could be the difference between making the post-season or a 10th non-Playoffs year.

ddaryl
05-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Seriously guys... Levi Jones is not the same caliber T he was 4 years ago....

I seriously wonder if he could even start for us...

give him a tryout, but many of you need to reel in those expectations... There is a reason why Cincy drafted Smith, they don't expect Levi to return to form.

ddaryl
05-06-2009, 01:11 PM

At only 29, he has a good 5years in the tank, and I think a $30m/5year deal could lock him down.

this guy has injury baggage and sub par play the last 3 years because of it.

6 million a year for a player that could very well be washed up would set this franchise back another 5 years.

I don't believe Levi gets any offer in that range

PromoTheRobot
05-06-2009, 01:22 PM

He's head and shoulders above anyone else we could start at LT. I definitely would not start both Levitre and Woods this season. Two rookies learning new positions on the OL is two too many and Butler has done a more than adequate job at RG. In fact, as Walker's contract winds down I can see Butler being moved outside, and eventually Woods becoming the RG with Levitre on the LG.

I would roll with Jones-Levitre/Woods-Hangartner-Butler-Walker.

Signing Jones could be the difference between making the post-season or a 10th non-Playoffs year.

I think you assume too much saying Jones has "5 good years left." He has a lot of injuries and he has lost feeling in one leg from them. Think about it, why on earth would Cinci be replacing him if he was still any good? I agree we should bring him in. Just don't expect miracles. He may not be better than what we have now.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
05-06-2009, 01:25 PM
this guy has injury baggage and sub par play the last 3 years because of it.

6 million a year for a player that could very well be washed up would set this franchise back another 5 years.

I don't believe Levi gets any offer in that range

Really! Some people are still working with Madden scores from 2005. If someone says we ought to sign a player, the least they can do is find out what kind of shape the player is in 2009, not how great he was 3-4 years ago.

PTR

kid mickey
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Not sure if he can play at a high level anymore. We will see. I think the Bills are satisfied with what they have right now.

The Spaz
05-06-2009, 01:26 PM
Really! Some people are still working with Madden scores from 2005. If someone says we ought to sign a player, the least they can do is find out what kind of shape the player is in 2009, not how great he was 3-4 years ago.

PTR

Hey now Peters was rated a 97 this year...lol

TheMan08
05-06-2009, 01:28 PM
Langston Walker>Levi Jones

Dying_-2-_Live
05-06-2009, 04:17 PM
IDk, he's kinda way out of his prime

BuffaloRanger
05-07-2009, 01:51 AM
The Bills have very little quality depth on the Oline. Jones would be an improvement at RT over anyone we have one the roster. If Walker was to get injured in training camp who would be this team's starting OTs in New England? Butler and Chambers? With a 2008 7th rd pick backing them up? NE would sack Edwards 10 times. Jones doesn't look so bad in that scenario.

Throne Logic
05-07-2009, 07:16 AM
I believe that DJ and Company are set on starting Butler on the outside. If you bring in another LT at a starter’s salary what happens to Walker? I understand the question marks regarding Walker on the left. However, we cannot overlook the fact that Walker was the ONLY consistent O-Lineman last year. He’s the de facto leader and the closest thing this O-Line has to a known commodity, he has to start somewhere. He's earned the opportunity to start in the LT spot.

On another note, I would like to believe that Buffalo has taken a step forward this off-season with regards to rebuilding the lines, especially the O-Line. Jones would just be a step back to previous seasons - overpaying players that other teams (in this case a perennially crappy team) decided to replace with an upgrade. We just dumped a lot of that baggage this off-season. I say pass on Jones for this reason, too.

Throne Logic
05-07-2009, 07:17 AM
The Bills have very little quality depth on the Oline. Jones would be an improvement at RT over anyone we have one the roster. If Walker was to get injured in training camp who would be this team's starting OTs in New England? Butler and Chambers? With a 2008 7th rd pick backing them up? NE would sack Edwards 10 times. Jones doesn't look so bad in that scenario.

He's looking for a lot more than "Depth" money.

Canadian'eh!
05-07-2009, 07:37 AM
I'm surprised everyone just assumes Walker will be good at LT and Butler will also be good at RT.

Honestly, I think both are not exactly proven players at those positions.

If Jones can come in and pass a physical and aleviate any question marks about his past injuries, then i'd love to see him signed to start at LT or RT.

Depth has killed us for the past couple seasons. We've not been able to overcome injuries at many positions. If we signed Jones we'd be VERY deep on the OL.

I also don't think Jones will get a huge contract. He'll geet ok money, but it will have "outs" after each season with min cap hits in case he's going to continue with injury issues.

Mahdi
05-07-2009, 07:41 AM
Honestly, I think Walker will struggle when he faces 3-4 teams. Walker is huge and pass blocking against shorter, much faster pass rushers is going to be very difficult for him. I actually see him giving up just as many sacks as Peters did last year.

I do think our run game will improve though with this line.

That being said, having a line of Jones - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Walker is much more stable.

Tatonka
05-07-2009, 07:55 AM
i think jones should definately be brought in and let the best man win the job. i dont really care if it is jones, butler or walker that have to become a back up.. i just care about the best line being out there..

one injury to a tackle and bell or chambers could become a permanent starter.. we are not prepaired for that i dont think.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-07-2009, 10:47 AM
The Owens deal made me believe that if LT is such a concern for the Bills, the current regime headed by Brandon would go out and get Jones - if they view him as head and shoulder above anything we have. After all by all accounts (national media). Bills are the only team in need of a LT. Notice I used LT not a premier LT.

For Bills inactivity on this, I had to believe they think Bell is quality depth. Remember they went into last season with Peters (a far cry from certainty, Walker, Chambers and Bell) at tackles.

venis2k1
05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Talking to a few Cincy fans, they say when Jones is healthy he is very solid, he has trouble staying on the feild. Also if we dont move Butler to tackle, he will be a starting gaurd all year.

yordad
05-07-2009, 11:26 AM
I somewhat disagree, but I get your point. I would put Langston Walker as the starter at RT and plug in Jones at LT.

Brad Butler can back up both Guard positions, while Kirk Chambers can back up RT.

And if Levi Jones is ever injured, move Walker over to LT and put Chambers or Butler at RT.

I would be THRILLED if we went out and signed Levi Jones. I will have to applaud Russ Brandon if he get this done.That would pretty much make Butler the primary backup at every position, lol.

Lexwhat
05-07-2009, 11:41 AM
That would pretty much make Butler the primary backup at every position, lol.

Yup, except Center. Haha.

Honestly, if we sign Levi Jones to be our LT, there is no way Brad Butler will start over Langston Walker at RT. Butler is the odd man out.

I don't think Butler will bump Wood or Levitre to back-up roles either. We obviously want to revamp our interior line, and Butler is not the answer there.

PromoTheRobot
05-07-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm constantly amazed at the obsession with LT, as if every play we run is a seven-step drop pass. The Bills correctly identified the problem at O-line was more with the guards and center. We couldn't run. We couldn't convert 3rd and 1. We were forced into passing too much.

With Wood, Hangartner and Levitre our running game is going to be transformed. And that will open everything else up.

PTR

TigerJ
05-07-2009, 11:59 AM
A lot depends on Levi Jones' asking price. If it's low, and with llittle or no signing bonus, it's a low risk move. If he wants a lot of money up front, then the Bills would no doubt pass because he is a risk. He may not beat out the guys we have to start, and if he did, he may have no better ability to stay on the fied than he has in the past. Then you're stuck with that big signing bonus and you can' cut him.

TheMan08
05-07-2009, 01:25 PM
Nothing wrong with adding more depth

Throne Logic
05-07-2009, 02:30 PM
i think jones should definately be brought in and let the best man win the job. i dont really care if it is jones, butler or walker that have to become a back up.. i just care about the best line being out there..

one injury to a tackle and bell or chambers could become a permanent starter.. we are not prepaired for that i dont think.

If he will sign for true backup money - sure.

Throne Logic
05-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Honestly, I think Walker will struggle when he faces 3-4 teams. Walker is huge and pass blocking against shorter, much faster pass rushers is going to be very difficult for him. I actually see him giving up just as many sacks as Peters did last year.

I do think our run game will improve though with this line.

That being said, having a line of Jones - Levitre - Hangartner - Wood - Walker is much more stable.

You've just removed Butler from the lineup. At this point in their respective careers, I'd rather have Butler starting somewhere on this line than Jones.

Mahdi
05-07-2009, 02:37 PM
You've just removed Butler from the lineup. At this point in their respective careers, I'd rather have Butler starting somewhere on this line than Jones.
There are many teams who have quality back-ups for their OL, I dont see why Buffalo cant be one of them.

Butler is an average G and an unknown at OT, even if he did play OT in college. Walker is an unknown at LT especially going up against the defenses in our division.

Jones would be the ONLY proven player at his position on our line if we get him. This would give Butler a chance to practice at OT for a full season, and provide quality depth.