• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

Rookies that need to step up in their second year

3. James Hardy, WR, Buffalo
    The Bills thought they satisfied their long-standing need for a big receiver last year when they drafted Hardy in the second round (41st overall) out of Indiana. But he caught just nine passes for 87 yards and two touchdowns in 14 games, ending the season on injured reserve after tearing his ACL in Week 15. His rehab has been ahead of schedule, and Hardy might be ready to play in time for Buffalo's final preseason game. In the meantime, the Bills went out and got themselves another big receiver this offseason. A guy by the name of Terrell Owens, who promptly took Hardy's No. 81, with Hardy switching to No. 84.

I am The Batman.
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Re: Rookies that need to step up in their second year

Hardy's lack of progress was really disturbing.

I remember at least 2 or 3 plays where they tried to throw him a fade to the endzone and he nearly tripped over his own feet. The guy literally looked like he'd never done it before. I know he's a rookie and it takes time to adjust, but that was just ridiculous.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Mahdi
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37

I remember at least 2 or 3 plays where they tried to throw him a fade to the endzone and he nearly tripped over his own feet. The guy literally looked like he'd never done it before. I know he's a rookie and it takes time to adjust, but that was just ridiculous.
      Its typical of tall, lanky receivers to struggle in their first year. They need to learn to use their height against NFL caliber players, and how to run routes to their advantage.

Comment

• The Spaz
        • Mar 2003

I love how they still have hardons for Owens having #81.

Comment

• ServoBillieves
          The Voice of Reason
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37

They always say that wide receivers take time to develop and can usually show progress in their 2nd or 3rd year in the league. I, for one, am not holding my breath on Hardy though, because I think that Stevie Johnson showed his worth last year and could exponentially outgrow Hardy's progress in year 2. In two years, it'll be interesting to see who lines up next to Lee: Stevie, James, or maybe T.O. again?
          Bye Bye Brady...

Comment

• ddaryl
            Everything I post is sexual inuendo
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Mahdi
            Its typical of tall, lanky receivers to struggle in their first year. They need to learn to use their height against NFL caliber players, and how to run routes to their advantage.

and this is what I call a major coaching problem...

the coaches should have drilled this into his head from the 1st day of mini-camp... that is what they expected him to do for us, so how did they forget ot teach him or work with him on that aspect?

Comment

• The Spaz
              • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
              and this is what I call a major coaching problem...

the coaches should have drilled this into his head from the 1st day of mini-camp... that is what they expected him to do for us, so how did they forget ot teach him or work with him on that aspect?
              Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Stevie Johnson didn't have a problem there rookie year. I don't think it's a coaching issue.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                • Feb 2005

Hardy has a lot of work to do. But he now has the benefit of watching TO and Lee and stepping in as a situational red-zone player.

I don't think this year is do-or-die for him, but he needs to show some progess with toughness (on the field) and route running.

The 2010 season is do-or-die for Hardy.

Comment

• elltrain22
                  • Sep 2003

Originally posted by The Spaz
                  Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Stevie Johnson didn't have a problem there rookie year. I don't think it's a coaching issue.

Eric Moulds, Brandon Marshall, and lots of others did have a problem. He will contribute for this team. Maybe not this year, but he will be a good NFL wide receiver.
                  If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Originally posted by elltrain22
                    Eric Moulds, Brandon Marshall, and lots of others did have a problem. He will contribute for this team. Maybe not this year, but he will be a good NFL wide receiver.
                    Exactly. I'm just not blaming coaching it just takes some guys time to "get it". Also I was pointing out we have had the same Wr's coach for a while.

Comment

• ddaryl
                      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by The Spaz

When Lee and Josh were rookies who was our coaches... Steve Johnson didn't exactly light it up ever. He had a couple of nice grabs, but nothing I would say was coaching

Hardy was our 2nd rd pick, he is very tall and yet he failed to use his body to an advantage... and he seemed to get worse at it as the saeson went on..

I am calling it coaching, because when Hardy did have the ball tossed to him in the endzone on a fade he never even attempted to gain position on the defenders... coaching deserves the blame because coaching is responsible for teaching and preparing Hardy to do what needs ot be done when you throw a fade to a tall WR.

It just boggles my mind that Hardy never really tried ot use his body the neitre season last year, he just acted like a typical receiver in route, and he is not a typical WR, and his strength is different then most WR's

I beleive Hardy will get better, and I sincerely hope the coaches are teaching him what he needs to do this year....
                      Last edited by ddaryl; 05-06-2009, 01:18 PM.

Comment

• bigbub2352
                        • Feb 2005

WRs take time, Hardy may never be a viable option outside the redzone, but what he can do in the redzone could be scary
                        i dont care if he has 20 catchs a yr as long as 10 are TDs
                        XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• The Spaz
                          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by ddaryl
                          When Lee and Josh were rookies who was our coaches... Steve Johnson didn't exactly light it up ever. He had a couple of nice grabs, but nothing I would say was coaching

Hardy was our 2nd rd pick, he is very tall and yet he failed to use his body to an advantage... and he seemed to get worse at it as the saeson went on..

I am calling it coaching, because when Hardy did have the ball tossed to him in the endzone on a fade he never even attempted to gain position on the defenders... coaching deserves the blame because coaching is responsible for teaching and preparing Hardy to do what needs ot be done when you throw a fade to a tall WR.

It just boggles my mind that Hardy never really tried ot use his body the neitre season last year, he just acted like a typical receiver in route, and he is not a typical WR, and his strength is different then most WR's

I beleive Hardy will get better, and I sincerely hope the coaches are teaching him what he needs to do this year....
                          I don't Hardy already knows how to use his body he did it in college. I think Hardy has a bigger problem with route running and the speed of the game. Disagree on calling it all coaching. Also Hardy did use his size against Jacksonville and I forget the other game for td's.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                            Give me a minute...
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by BillsWin

all of them...

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

Hardy's biggest problem was his upper body strength, well technically it wasn't. What i mean is he didn't use his body well to box out defenders, he didn't use his frame to fight toward the football.

Those are both technique and to a degree, physical strength issues. When he's being out-muscled for the football by a CB 8" shorter then him in a jump ball situation there is a big problem. And that's what was happening.

so what he needs is a bit more upper body strength and better technique.
                              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X