PDA

View Full Version : McFarland eyes strong return with Buccaneers

TypicalBill
05-16-2003, 11:21 PM
Part of Anthony McFarland still asks why.

Why was last season, the finest of his budding NFL career, cut short by injury?

And why did it have to happen during the year the Tampa Bay Buccaneers would finally win the Super Bowl?

"That's the toughest part because you just had a feeling about this team, what we were about to do and the things that were about to go on. Not to be part of that was frustrating," said McFarland, who broke his right foot Dec. 15 and didn't play again.

"At the same time, I was happy because I was a part of it. This is my team, and my ring is going to be the same size as everybody's. That's the way I look at it. But deep down inside, there's a little frustration or hurt that should be in every competitior when he's not able to go out there and play."

The six-foot, 300-pound McFarland, who teams with Warren Sapp to form the most imposing defensive tackle tandem in the league, was off to the best start of his career when he broke his right forearm at Carolina on Oct. 27, then missed the next four games.

McFarland returned to the lineup earlier than expected against Atlanta on Dec. 8, but was lost for the season the following week when he hurt his foot during a victory over the Detroit Lions.

The former LSU star, the 14th pick in the 1999 draft, was devastated.

..more.. (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/5880308.htm)