X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mchurchfie
    • Jul 2002

The Playoffs

After watching the POs this year so far I am more convinced than ever that even if the Sabres would have backed in they would have never made it past the first round. The teams playing right now are playing their asses off. Huge hits, hard one on one battles being won along the boards, and endless effort. The only thing that we could have matched with any of these teams would have been our goaltending. The Wash\Pitts and Aniheim\Wings games in particular have been an awesome couple of series. Very enjoyable, I can't wait until we get back up to that level again.
    Last edited by mchurchfie; 05-07-2009, 12:21 PM.
    My Band
    daveviterna.com

• Nighthawk
    Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
    • Jul 2002

Re: The Playoffs

It's going to be a long wait if this organization doesn't realize the players on this team are not good enough to win a championship. I'm scared by some of Quinn's comments that we are in store for the same crap next year, since they have already started using the injuries as an excuse. It's unfortunate how low this organization has fallen when they had everything going for them just a few years ago. Denial is the worst kind of enemy.

Comment

• mchurchfie
      • Jul 2002

The days of the small finesse player are over if you base it on the POs and we are loaded with small, soft players.
      My Band
      daveviterna.com

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by mchurchfie
        The days of the small finesse player are over if you base it on the POs and we are loaded with small, soft players.
        The Canes are out finessing the Bruins right now... for sure.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

I've only watched a few minutes of the playoffs for this exact reason: I don't want to see the gap between the teams that made it (and actually won a round) and the Sabres.

A year and a half ago, the Caps were the joke of the league and they had to fire their coach in DECEMBER, while the Sabres were coming off consecutive conf finals appearances and a President's Cup. Now, the Caps are as good as anyone in the Eastern Conf and probably a top 5 or 6 team in the league overall, meanwhile the Sabres probably aren't even in the top 20.

It's inept, pathetic management and it's not going to change soon. Perhaps this FO's strategy would have worked if the refs were still calling the games like they were post-lockout, but they're not. The refs swallowed the whistle and defenses adjusted, but the Sabres never followed suit and now they're behind most of the league.
          Last edited by OpIv37; 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• mchurchfie
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by OpIv37
            I've only watched a few minutes of the playoffs for this exact reason: I don't want to see the gap between the teams that made it (and actually won around) and the Sabres.

A year and a half ago, the Caps were the joke of the league and they had to fire their coach in DECEMBER, while the Sabres were coming off consecutive conf finals appearances and a President's Cup. Now, the Caps are as good as anyone in the Eastern Conf and probably a top 5 or 6 team in the league overall, meanwhile the Sabres probably aren't even in the top 20.

It's inept, pathetic management and it's not going to change soon. Perhaps this FO's strategy would have worked if the refs were still calling the games like they were post-lockout, but they're not. The refs swallowed the whistle and defenses adjusted, but the Sabres never followed suit and now they're behind most of the league.
            Excellent points. Post lockout the teams with all the bruisers were getting beat by finesse and speed and they were considered the dinosaurs, now it is exactly the opposite since the rules have changed again.
            My Band
            daveviterna.com

Comment

• BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
              All-Pro Zoner
              • Jan 2004

After watching the POs this year so far I am more convinced than ever that even if the Sabres would have backed in they would have never made it past the first round. The teams playing right now are playing their asses off. Huge hits, hard one on one battles being won along the boards, and endless effort. The only thing that we could have matched with any of these teams would have been our goaltending. The Wash\Pitts and Aniheim\Wings games in particular have been an awesome couple of series. Very enjoyable, I can't wait until we get back up to that level again.
              Oh really,

Actually, on other NHL bulletin boards, there's Boston Bruins fans that think that the Sabres could've gave Bruins a run for it! and that Sabres vs. Bruins would've been a better series than Boston and Montreal.

also the Sabres won the season series against the Bruins. 4-2 Not to mention they played them in the last game of the regular season.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 Bruins Sabres 2 - 3 SO W
              Sat Nov 8, 2008 Sabres Bruins 1 - 3 L
              Wed Nov 19, 2008 Sabres Bruins 4 - 7 L
              Wed Nov 26, 2008 Bruins Sabres 2 - 3 W
              Sat Jan 3, 2009 Sabres Bruins 4 - 2 W
              Sat Apr 11, 2009 Bruins Sabres 1 - 6 W

also Lindy Ruff has a .591 playoff winning percentage

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

Originally posted by LOSman WINS
                Oh really,

Actually, on other NHL bulletin boards, there's Boston Bruins fans that think that the Sabres could've gave Bruins a run for it! and that Sabres vs. Bruins would've been a better series than Boston and Montreal.

also the Sabres won the season series against the Bruins. 4-2 Not to mention they played them in the last game of the regular season.

well, if fans of the Bruins who probably only watched those 6 Sabres games all season posted that the Sabres could have competed with the Bruins, it must be true.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                  • Jan 2003

Excellent points. Post lockout the teams with all the bruisers were getting beat by finesse and speed and they were considered the dinosaurs, now it is exactly the opposite since the rules have changed again.
                  The rules haven't changed in years. They just have decided not to call certain penalties again.

Comment

• chernobylwraiths
                    • Jan 2003

Oh really,

Yep, and Lindy still has zero Stanley Cups too. One or two playoff series wins does not win the Cup.

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                      The rules haven't changed in years. They just have decided not to call certain penalties again.
                      to-may-to, to-mah-to.

Technically, the rules haven't changed. But the way the rules are enforced on the ice have changed, so the players have to adjust. The end result is that teams have to react to the way the rules are being ENFORCED NOW, not the way they were enforced three years ago. It's irrelevant whether the change is de facto or de jure.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

I agreed with this thread until reading that Bruins fans think the Sabres could have "given them a run for it." That completely changed my outlook.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• SabreEleven
                          • Aug 2002

Oh really,

Teams play way different in the Regular season than the Playoffs. Both teams are equal in games. One team isn't playing back-to-back while the other sits at home. The intensity is a lot higher. Boston would have ran through Buffalo like a hot knife through butter. Again, you are wrong.

Comment

• SabreEleven
                            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by chernobylwraiths
                            Yep, and Lindy still has zero Stanley Cups too. One or two playoff series wins does not win the Cup.
                            He won 3 series in '99...

Comment

• don137
                              • Jul 2002

I never saw this Sabres team play with passion, intensity and give 110%. A different type of hockey is played in the playoffs or when a teams back are against the wall trying to make the playoffs. When the Sabres backs were against the wall they played the same and never took it to the next level.
                              These guys are soft and I can't see them giving what it takes to get far in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X