PDA

View Full Version : Opportunity knocking overseas for Bills RB Ken Simonton

TypicalBill
05-16-2003, 11:45 PM
There might be a running back battle in Buffalo this season, but it has nothing to do with the drafting of Willis McGahee.

Ken Simonton wasn't even on an NFL roster last season, but he has done just what the Bills' player personnel department hoped he would in Europe -- get better. Now Simonton has exploded offensively as a member of the Scottish Claymores and will challenge any other running back in Bills camp come July.

The 5-foot-8, 191-pound back from Oregon State signed with the San Francisco 49ers as a rookie free agent last summer, but was released before camp even began. He ended up watching all the games in 2002 from his couch before Buffalo took a chance and signed him two days before the Super Bowl. The team then allocated him to NFL Europe. Now with the proper refinement, Simonton could become a weapon.

"Opportunity. That's something a man like me has for an ultimate goal," Simonton said. "With the right opportunity, chances and looks, I know I can play in the NFL. I just think I've been blessed that I have fallen into a situation where I am given the opportunity to do what I do.

"I just came out here to learn how to become a better professional. Do what I do and come back healthy. It's a blessing to be as productive as I have been so far."

And with this opportunity comes great responsibility. Simonton became the featured back for Scotland and he has responded well. Heading into Week 7, he trails Rhein's Autry Denson by just six yards for the league lead in rushing.

It's Simonton's receiving prowess, however, that has helped the Claymores most. Even as a running back, Simonton is tied for second in the league with 26 receptions and is eighth with 263 yards. His 780 total yards from scrimmage leads the league and is far and away more than Denson's 566, which ranks second.

More.... (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/6371187)

Stewie
05-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Thats all well and good but where the hell are we gonna put him? He's automatically behind Henry, Gary, and McGahee, and IMO he's behind Morris too. Morris played well in the NFL when he had an opportunity and was on a bad team, Simonton is playing well in nflE, there's a big difference...
Maybe we can trade him for a low pick next year?

Doc
05-17-2003, 03:52 PM
Simonton will get a chance to stick for about 10 weeks, while McGahee is on the PUP list.

TypicalBill
05-17-2003, 03:57 PM
yeah, you're right Paul, we're so loaded at RB. I think we know Gary isn't gonna stay here long since he signed a 2 year deal (and he said he wanted a 1 year deal) so obviously hes not "long-term"..Morris is an FA after this season. And we know if WM returns to his old form, its almost impossible to keep 2 pro bowl RBs on 1 team for long. IMO, he will take Joe Burns's spot for this year and after next season, he takes Morris' spot.

Earthquake Enyart
05-19-2003, 06:09 AM
Simonton is running back punts there. That may be his way on the team.

HenryRules
05-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Simonton is not going to be heard from again once his NFLE season is over.

Throne Logic
05-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Who was it that tore up the NFLE last year? Alexander was it? What ever happened to him?

The_Philster
05-20-2003, 05:45 PM
Curtis Alexander got cut last training camp.

Earthquake Enyart
05-21-2003, 06:28 AM
Curtis Alexander didn't run back punts.

Mr. Miyagi
05-21-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Simonton is running back punts there. That may be his way on the team.
But I thought that's partly what we signed Bobby Shaw for.

yle
05-21-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
Curtis Alexander didn't run back punts.

I watched the NFLE game this weekend, mostly to see Simonton. He returned punts, and never fair caught one, so at least he wouldn't be a "punt catcher" ala Chris Watson :D .
The thing is he didn't seem to be a difference maker doing it either. He can make people miss, but didn't seem to have breakaway speed. It was raining pretty hard the whole game, though. Has anyone else seem him in a game in good weather? If he does make the roster, it is obviously going to come down to special teams.

Earthquake Enyart
05-21-2003, 08:32 AM
Shaw will probably run back kickoffs

Turf
05-21-2003, 08:45 AM
After all the hype with Alexander last year who didn't make the roster even, I can't get excited over this guy, especially considering if he were to play he will be playing two seasons back to back.

BillC
05-21-2003, 08:52 AM
Alexander played for everybody- NFLE, XFL, and got pushed out of Denver by Davis, Anderson, Gary.

I think his NFLE experience was boosted by being one of the older, veteran players over there.

Simenton might not be the better runner of the two, but a hell of a lot more versitile. If he can help on punt coverage ala Morris, he's on the team.