PDA

View Full Version : UFL

Mr. Miyagi
05-08-2009, 06:16 AM
More and more I want to see the games. They got some pretty good names signed up to work for them already, Dennis Green, Jim Fassel, Flutie. And it seems like they're taking it seriously to have good football, unlike XFL. It'd be pretty cool.

BillsOwnAll
05-08-2009, 07:55 AM
It would be cool to have "minor league" football. But i doubt anotherprofessional league can stay in business. But ill watch it and give it a chance. Any news on when its suppose to start?

The Spaz
05-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Do they have a TV contract and when does it start?

Mahdi
05-08-2009, 08:37 AM
It starts September 2009.... they are asking for failure having the season during the NFL season.

They should have made it a summer league.

It will air on Versus apparently.

http://www.ufl-football.com/

billsfanone
05-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Have I been living under a rock? This is the first I've heard of it...

SABURZFAN
05-08-2009, 08:45 AM
i can't wait to see who drafts JP Losman. :tap:

The last buffalo fan
05-08-2009, 10:00 AM
i can't wait to see who drafts JP Losman. :tap:

still have sweat dreams with my mexican buddy?

The Spaz
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
It starts in September the same time as the NFL? Failure!:lol:

Jan Reimers
05-08-2009, 10:05 AM
More and more I want to see the games. They got some pretty good names signed up to work for them already, Dennis Green, Jim Fassel, Flutie. And it seems like they're taking it seriously to have good football, unlike XFL. It'd be pretty cool.
Is Flutie making a comeback?:brace:

psubills62
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
It starts September 2009.... they are asking for failure having the season during the NFL season.

They should have made it a summer league.

It will air on Versus apparently.

http://www.ufl-football.com/

Yeah, I really don't understand that. If they're going to try and satisfy football cravings that fans have, why do it when they're getting their fix from the NFL?

Syderick
05-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Have I been living under a rock? This is the first I've heard of it...

You must of been busy working on your zonebucks videos

Night Train
05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
It starts in September the same time as the NFL? Failure!:lol:

When the NFL has a lockout after next season, guess what people dying for football will be watching ?

sdbillsfan2
05-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I think if they put a good product on the field they do stand a chance. What cities will have teams ? What players will crossover ? who knows. They were saying the same thing years ago about the old AFL , and guys like Ralph took a chance and it paid off.

Are they still playing minor league baseball in B-Lo ? people still turn out to watch the Bisons games. Same thing in my eyes . there's room for more football as long as the talent is there.

The Spaz
05-08-2009, 11:39 AM
When the NFL has a lockout after next season, guess what people dying for football will be watching ?

That's a big if.

trapezeus
05-08-2009, 12:52 PM
The thing that gets in the UFL's way is: "What are they?"

Are they trying to be a replacement to the NFL and get big star players to join their league? If they do that, they need serious capital and a great TV contract (something that even the NFL is going to struggle to get the same kind of TV as the previous year). That requires for the UFL teams to have the same ticket prices etc...in my mind that equals failure because the NFL has the history and connection to people.

If the UFL is really a minor league equivalent to the NFL where mid level players are playing for all heart and a chance to bump up to the NFL, then they might just have a chance because ticket prices will be low, the TV deal doesn't have to be anything special and they can grow their teams organically without worry of the NFL taking their talent.

I don't know who wants to watch a hybrid of college and pro football like that, but i envision that having more of a chance to succeed than a league taking the NFL head on.

ParanoidAndroid
05-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Yeah, I really don't understand that. If they're going to try and satisfy football cravings that fans have, why do it when they're getting their fix from the NFL?

...and college ball.

Maybe it should be in the Spring.....March - June. ...except that it would then be competing with other sports....baseball, basketball, and hockey.

They may be thinking that, unlike the XFL or the USFL, if they place teams in smaller, non-NFL cities, the fans will come.

If baseball can do it, why not football?

ServoBillieves
05-08-2009, 01:02 PM
If it's on Versus and during the NFL season, it's doomed already.

Mitchell55
05-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Losman, Hargrove, Jenkins, Neufeld. All I can see there

Mitchell55
05-08-2009, 01:23 PM
http://www.ufl-football.com/press/2009/05/07/united_football_league_hires_top_level_executives_for_tv_broadcast_on_versus

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 01:50 PM

This is exactly it. These guys are hedging their bets on a prolonged work stoppage by the NFL, which is looking increasingly likely. If they can survive the next two years until 2011, when the NFL is on a lockout, then they'll be in great shape. If nothing else, maybe it will help force the players and the owners to come to an agreement.

trapezeus
05-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I wonder if a prolonged lockout does to the bills future. does that help or hinder future owner from getting into the nfl.

Tiburon1724
05-09-2009, 10:53 AM
From the website it appears their intent is on being a developmental league which is the way to target it, and to go to non-NFL cities helps of course too, providing there's a demand for football in those cities. I notice all the teams that will begin are in the southwest and that's good for one. The XFL failed for many reasons but one thing is it had teams all over the country, though there weren't many teams in terms of quantity, and a big TV contract with NBC. Well, if you're not in one of those cities you won't care AT ALL about the XFL save maybe a quarter of viewing for curiosity's sake. Vs gets no ratings to begin with so that's a win-win.

That said, they'll need to practically give away tickets to get people in the gates, and put an entertaining product on the field to keep them coming...the XFL tried to jump right in with "we're here, love us" instead of growing organically. Running during NFL season is tough...unless they have games on Saturdays instead of Sundays or something like that. So start small, expand slowly, and hope to survive is the only way. Of course, the Arena League even cancelled this year's games so who knows if there's hope (but when it's nice outside I don't want to sit in an arena)