PDA

View Full Version : Current Depth chart how do we match up with NE week one?

BillsWin
05-08-2009, 04:19 PM
I thought with all the discussion about week one against NE that I would do some analysis of the depth chart comparison and see if I think we even have a chance head to head with our offense vs. their defense. The results, are all opinions and I will revisit them after training camp.

Our offense vs. their defense:

Brandon Meriweather James Sanders

Leigh Bodden Johnathan Wilhite

Pierre Woods Jerod Mayo Tedy Bruschi Adalius Thomas

Richard Seymour Vince Wilfork Ty Warren

L. Walker A. Levitre G. Hangnarter E. Wood B. Butler S. Nelson

L. Evans Trent Edwards J. Reed T. Owens

Fred Jackson

The key to attacking the Patriot defense is to take advantage of their aging players and to make mis matches. Most likely, they will sub out some of their rookies in places come the home opener, but as is, this is how their depth chart is listed.

Noone has any idea of how Hangnarter will play and he certainly gets a big test day one against Vince. What Hangnarter does have though is two vicious finishers at his side to help him out. Although they are rookies, they match up well against the bigger NTs because they are so athletic and quick. Wood and Hangnarter or Levitre and Hangnarter should be able to take care of Wilfork. However, the real question is, can Hangnarter take Wilfork one on one? Well, if we are running the no huddle, he should be able to. Wilfork isn't the kind of "athlete" that can take the physical pounding and fast paced tempo that will be thrown at him in week one. That is, if the Bills actually do use the no huddle. We never know what is going through the coach's minds these days.

Butler vs. Ty Warren will be interesting. Butler is returning to his original position and that may help him. Of course, it is a new position to him, NFL-wise. Warren isn't the best he will face all year, but it is a test. Like Hangnarter and the rookies, it is hard to tell how we will match up here.

Walker vs. Seymour is going to be fun to watch. Walker has the strength to hold Seymour up, but he may not have the quickness to overtake him completely. Once again, this is where the no-huddle can possibly help us. With the no huddle, we can wear Seymour down, not only that, but Trent should be able to capture the Pats off guard and quickly get the passes off, giving Seymour less and less time to get to him. Walker may not have as much work as he would have, running back and forward from the huddle.

now heres the fun stuff...

Our o-line vs their d-line is going to be a toss up, but here is where I think the Bills can take advantage...

Fred Jackson is quick enough to work his way between the tackles. In a no-huddle atmosphere, he will likely get the chance to slip past the tiring Patriot D and bust off a couple good runs. The finishers in the middle should be able to open some holes well enough. Jackson is the kind of back that only needs you to open a path, then he finds his own way from there.

Evans, Reed and Owens matched up against, the Patriots secondary is where the real interesting stuff starts. They won't be able to load the box to stop the run because now they have a few players to worry about whether than just Evans. Owens will keep the Patriots honest and even if they choose to double him they'll have Evans get open on the outside. Reed working underneath will draw safety help, but Evans and Owens will work the outside with ease.

Then we have Nelson. Knowing the skills and speed that Nelson has, I would bet money on Nelson over any of the Patriots linebackers covering him. You heard it here first. I don't think they have a single linebacker that could run with Nelson, and that is where he becomes a key stone in our no-huddle attack.

All in all, this game, offensively, comes down to play calling. The weapons and mis matches will be there. The offensive line can make up for its lack of experience by wearing down the d-line of the Patriots. The LBs will have to try and help in coverage, and the CBs/ Safeties are going to have to do the same. When they get to focused on the pass, we'll be able to hit them with the run. Jackson and Rhodes can easily hit that homerun. You really think Wilfork will be able to play at a no huddle pace all game? I don't think so. They won't even get to make too many substitutions. This is why the no-huddle and right play calling is KEY to beating the patriots.

we CAN do it. we have this off season to let the o-line gell, and to let Trent get his calls down.

We CAN wear them down. we HAVE the weapons, the tools to finally beat them offensively. Go ahead and bash my optimism.

I may be crazy. I may not be thinking about how we are starting two rookies on the o-line, or how we are missing Lynch, or how Nelson is a rookie TE, or how we havent beaten them in years and years and years.

BUT, I have a feeling that offensively, we have certain things at our disposal that we can finally give ourselves a chance at beating them.

defensively, that is another story. :bedard:

Turk and Trent, it is up to you.

Bash my optimism, I can take it.

BillsWin
05-08-2009, 04:24 PM
not to mention that Hangnarter is supposedly one of the smartest o-linemen in the league. he may be a good fit making the calls on the line.

Mitchell55
05-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Offense

OL vs DL. NE based on starters, but mostly a draw. Possibly 2-3 sacks though because of Wilfork

QB and WRs vs DBs. Bills. TO, Evans, Reed, Hardy, Nelson. We defintley have the advantage

RB vs LB. Toss up. I think there equal

BillsWin
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Offense

OL vs DL. NE based on starters, but mostly a draw. Possibly 2-3 sacks though because of Wilfork

QB and WRs vs DBs. Bills. TO, Evans, Reed, Hardy, Nelson. We defintley have the advantage

RB vs LB. Toss up. I think there equal

I think thats basically the point I tried to make. Although I think Im more confident in our RBs vs. their LBs than you.

Mudflap1
05-08-2009, 04:30 PM
The problem is this:

New England's DL > Buffalo's OL (at least the first game of the season, with two rookies starting on the road)

New England's QB and skill positions > Buffalo's linebackers and defensive backs

New England's OL > Buffalo's DL

The only advantage Buffalo has is QB and skill positions > New England's linebackers and secondary

Lastly, New England's coaching > Buffalo's coaching

Jon

Ickybaluky
05-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Our offense vs. their defense:

Brandon Meriweather James Sanders

Leigh Bodden Johnathan Wilhite

Pierre Woods Jerod Mayo Tedy Bruschi Adalius Thomas

Richard Seymour Vince Wilfork Ty Warren

I doubt Wilhite starts. Their #1 CB is almost certainly Shawn Springs, who makes the most money. The other likely starter is either Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler or Terrence Wheatley. Wilhite will be in the mix for the nickel role.

The thing that is much improved on the Pats this year is depth. I already outlined CB, but also:

S - Meriweather and Sanders will start, but Patrick Chung and Brandon McGowan will provide depth at S.

DL - They rotate their guys to keep them fresh. Last year, only Seymour (69%) and Wilfork (63%) played more than half the team's defensive snaps. Part of that Was Warren getting hurt, but their starters will play about 2/3rds of the snaps, and their depth is what makes them so tough up front. Jarvis Green, Mike Wright, LeKevin Smith and Ron Brace are all candidates to see time.

LB - Probable starters are Adalius Thomas, Jarod Mayo, Tedy Bruschi and Jason Taylor. Bruschi will only see role duty on early downs, just like last year when he was only on the field 42% of the time. Gary Guyton, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, Tully Banta-Cain and Vince Redd will all battle in camp for the backup positions. Many of those guys will play.

the Pats have really re-tooled the back-end of their defense, and they will be more athletic this year. They added speed in the secondary, and their depth will make them a much improved defensive team.

ServoBillieves
05-08-2009, 08:07 PM
If our O-Line can hold together, this is going to be a crazy, crazy shootout. If they can't? Then this is a shootout. For the Patriots. It's primetime at it's best, and we'll be in the mid 20's in pass defense after week 1, but we may win.

ServoBillieves
05-08-2009, 08:11 PM
I doubt Wilhite starts. Their #1 CB is almost certainly Shawn Springs, who makes the most money. The other likely starter is either Leigh Bodden, Darius Butler or Terrence Wheatley. Wilhite will be in the mix for the nickel role.

The thing that is much improved on the Pats this year is depth. I already outlined CB, but also:

S - Meriweather and Sanders will start, but Patrick Chung and Brandon McGowan will provide depth at S.

DL - They rotate their guys to keep them fresh. Last year, only Seymour (69%) and Wilfork (63%) played more than half the team's defensive snaps. Part of that Was Warren getting hurt, but their starters will play about 2/3rds of the snaps, and their depth is what makes them so tough up front. Jarvis Green, Mike Wright, LeKevin Smith and Ron Brace are all candidates to see time.

LB - Probable starters are Adalius Thomas, Jarod Mayo, Tedy Bruschi and Jason Taylor. Bruschi will only see role duty on early downs, just like last year when he was only on the field 42% of the time. Gary Guyton, Pierre Woods, Shawn Crable, Tully Banta-Cain and Vince Redd will all battle in camp for the backup positions. Many of those guys will play.

the Pats have really re-tooled the back-end of their defense, and they will be more athletic this year. They added speed in the secondary, and their depth will make them a much improved defensive team.

The Patriots got Jason Taylor? News to me...

Mr. Pink
05-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Leigh Bodden is the corner that Ocho Cinco said was the best guy in man to man with him when Ocho was a big deal.

Bodden has some skills and if he's on Evans, will likely completely take him out of the game.

I still don't like the matchups, especially their O vs our D.

ServoBillieves
05-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Leigh Bodden is the corner that Ocho Cinco said was the best guy in man to man with him when Ocho was a big deal.

Bodden has some skills and if he's on Evans, will likely completely take him out of the game.

I still don't like the matchups, especially their O vs our D.

So who covers T.O., Josh, Sco, Stevie, and James?

Patti120
05-08-2009, 08:22 PM
As my man Clubber Lang (I think that's right) in Rocky said when they asked him for his prediction about the fight... "Pain" was his answer.

Unfortunately, if recent history continues to repeat itself then I think that is what Buffalo is going to experience in both games vs. NE this year.

I wish I felt differently and I would really like to but I just don't see it happening.

Mr. Pink
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM
So who covers T.O., Josh, Sco, Stevie, and James?

I'm not worried about us matching up well with them offensively, the addition of T.O. will help immensely in opening up things.

But we, nor most of the rest of the league, don't matchup with their offense very well.

Ingtar33
05-08-2009, 08:39 PM
The problem is this:

New England's DL > Buffalo's OL (at least the first game of the season, with two rookies starting on the road)

New England's QB and skill positions > Buffalo's linebackers and defensive backs

New England's OL > Buffalo's DL

The only advantage Buffalo has is QB and skill positions > New England's linebackers and secondary

Lastly, New England's coaching > Buffalo's coaching

Jon

i think this sums it up pretty well.

TigerJ
05-09-2009, 12:10 AM
It's a bit artificial to talk about a Richard Seymour-Langston Walker matchup, or a Ty Warren-Brad Butler matchup for that matter. Vince Wilfork is not going to constantly occupy all three interior offensive linemen for Buffalo. Blocking schemse will sometimes have Levitre helping out with Seymour, or perhaps taking him one one one while Walker handles the rush linebacker. The matchups on a given play will depend on what both the offense and defense is doing, not to mention New England's liberal substitution.

The thing that Buffalo will have to deal with is the fact that their offensive line will not have had a lot of time to gel at that point, and Bill Belichick will surely try to scheme to take advantage of any lack of chemistry in the on field play of the Bills' offensive line. Expect New England to do their best to confuse Buffalo's youngsters, smart or not.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Our passing game is alot better than there secondary in terms of WRs and TEs. OTs can take care of there DEs but my worry is Warren and Wilfork. Warren is a DT/DE (I consider him a DT because of his power). We need Wood and Levitre to look like starters right away. Both of our RBs will be hard to contain and with a spread offense we will have alot of miss matches.

yordad
05-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Painfully, I think the Pats are going to crush the Bills. They look as good as they did 2 years ago. They are a little older, but their depth is better. The only real loss was Stallworth, and he was over rated.

They have a huge coaching advantage. Opening day, on the road, prime time, inexperienced Bills O-line.....

I really hope I'm wrong. 44-24 Pats.

yordad
05-09-2009, 09:31 AM
It would be really awesome though if on the first offensive play Woods pancaked (or bodyslammed) Wilfork and set the tone for the next decade.

bledslow
05-09-2009, 08:34 PM
I stopped taking it too seriously after you said the bills should take advantage of the pats old players, besides bruschi,who in the world are you talking about??
(next oldest on defense is who? thomas,he's what, 31? How's that old?

Nelson(isn't he from the simpsons) isn't gonna do a thing worth a dam_n)

And Shawn Spring is notorious for covering owens like glue.

And the only real no-huddle is gonna be from brady, welker,moss,galloway,and the trio of SOLID rb's the pats have.

Bills do have a legit chance at 2nd place though.

bflobarry
05-09-2009, 10:52 PM
I love the optimism (really), but I am curious: Why are we so high on Nelson, a 4th round rookie pick? A 4th rounder is a reach to even play, let alone make a difference, and I mean all year. I'm not down on the kid at all, but some are hailing him as Tony G #2, and we have no reason to expect that at all, do we? Just curious where all the optimism is coming from? 4th round.....Is there something all the scouts missed?.......

first&goal
05-10-2009, 08:12 PM
If our O-Line can hold together, this is going to be a crazy, crazy shootout. If they can't? Then this is a shootout. For the Patriots. It's primetime at it's best, and we'll be in the mid 20's in pass defense after week 1, but we may win. I also think that Buffalo can win vs New England.

first&goal
05-10-2009, 08:18 PM

You guys need to sign Jason Taylor first, before you are counting him already as a starter, personally I think that he will go back to the Dolphins since he wants to finish in Miami.

yordad
05-10-2009, 09:06 PM
I love the optimism (really), but I am curious: Why are we so high on Nelson, a 4th round rookie pick? A 4th rounder is a reach to even play, let alone make a difference, and I mean all year. I'm not down on the kid at all, but some are hailing him as Tony G #2, and we have no reason to expect that at all, do we? Just curious where all the optimism is coming from? 4th round.....Is there something all the scouts missed?.......It has happened before. I think the Bills got him about two rounds after where I thought he would go.

He is more athletic and has more potential then any tight end the Bills have ever got.

Oh, btw, he compares himself to Antonio Gates, not Tony G.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d80f59bc5/First-Draft-Shawn-Nelson

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80f92fba/NFL-Draft-Vignette-Shawn-Nelson
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/09000d5d80f59bc5/First-Draft-Shawn-Nelson