X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kid mickey
    • Apr 2009

Defending Donte Whitner

in the 2006 NFL Draft. Especially when there are so many naysayer’s out their saying the pick should have been Haloti Ngata. My only response is, do you think Ngata could have done what he has done in Defending Donte Whitner

Its no easy task defending the 8th overall selection Baltimore here in Buffalo?

While Ngata is definitely shaping up to be a solid DT with 149 tackles, five sacks and three interceptions, those numbers aren’t exactly gaudy comparing him to other DT’s that were selected high in the draft. For instance Sedrick Ellis last year as a rookie for the Saints put up a whopping 30 tackles and four sacks compared to Ngata’s 31 tackles, one sack, and one pick his rookie campaign. Our very own John McCargo in 2007 when fully healthy got 29 tackles with 2.5 sacks. He wasn’t even a starter either. We all know he has struggled, but this isn’t about him.

In 2006 all Donte Whitner was asked to do was play safety. And play safety he did. Finishing with a whopping 104 tackles, one pick, and four passes defensed. In 2007 we saw his numbers go down a bit as he was used more in different aspects of the game. He still finished the season with 89 tackles one pick, and only one pass defensed. With an injury ravaged defense and guys swapping in and out of line-up at FS, Whitner had to line up at FS at times and others he was a nickel corner. He even played the second cornerback on a few snaps. The same thing happened in 2008. While his numbers went even further down, I credit that to the fact Posluszny was healthy and making all the tackles in the middle of the field. Whitner still managed to put up 61 tackles, have one pass defensed and get a one sack.

Not bad for the guy who was selected behind Michael Huff. Just to put things in perspective Huff has played about as good as Ko Simpson. Now that would have been a major reach.

On the field Donte Whitner is a hard hitting safety who always seems to be around the ball. He is a vocal leader and very passionate player. He is always willing to help younger players refine their game. Last year he had Leodis McKelvin stay at his house and work with him to learn the play book and understand the fundamentals of the Bills defense. He was voted a team captain for the first time in his career this past year. It is no small feat to garner the respect of your teammates after only playing in the league for two years.

Off the field for the most part Donte Whitner has been nothing but a model citizen. He has held annual charity bowling events for cancer research. He has also participated in turkey giveaways in Cleveland, Ohio and contributed to Play 60 an NFL sponsored program that helps kids stay active. This is a guy that many kids look up to in the community and he is a fine example of what a role model should be.

Sadly on April 11th, 2009 in the wee hours of that Saturday morning a riot broke outside the House of Blues, a nightclub located in Cleveland, Ohio. Whitner was there attending a birthday bash for longtime friend Ted Ginn Jr. Apparently Whitner’s cousin was also attending the bash and was involved in the ensuing riot outside. Whitner rushed to the door and tried to break free of police custody. The police had warned him to stay inside. Whitner responded by saying, “My cousin is out there, and they’ve got guns.” Whitner was subsequently tasered and handcuffed outside the nightclub. While it is certainly heroic to want to help your cousin, Whitner later apologized for his behavior stating that "It's not how I wish to conduct myself, and I apologize to all those involved." This shows me that he has owned up to his mistake and has learned from his poor decision.

Heading into the 2009 season Donte Whitner has a major chip on his shoulder. Bills fans constantly think in the back of their minds, ‘what if we got Ngata?’, ‘would this team be better?’ My answer to this question is ‘we’ll never know’. Embrace the player and team leader you do have, and watch out because Whitner just might deliver the play-off goods this upcoming season.

Hope you enjoyed it.
    Biggest Donte Whitner supporter on this entire message board...Maybe biggest Donte Whitner fan ever...Wish there was a white throwback out that I could get of you guessed it #20...
  • JD
    Sabres Zone
    • Sep 2003

Re: Defending Donte Whitner

Well now we know Dontes username.. welcome to the boards my friend!
    “You hold a players only meeting and get each guy to stand up and say what he can bring to the table... and if he doesn't, you punch him in the face.” ~~ Harry Neale, on how to fix the Sabres season.

Comment

• Lexwhat
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by JD SabreFan
      Well now we know Dontes username.. welcome to the boards my friend!
      I knew it all along.

Comment

• Mitchell55
        only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
        • Feb 2008

Honestly, we passed up on Ngata but now we have Whitner and Stroud. If we wouldve got Ngata then we would on have a DT.

Comment

• Oaf
          Do you read what you write?
          • Jun 2007

Good post.

Comment

• casdhf
            • Jul 2002

We have far bigger problems on this defense than him
            Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
            cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• OpIv37
              Acid Douching Asswipe
              • Sep 2002

Saint Donte can do no wrong! Love him and his lack of production! Never blame him or hold him accountable! Always say "hard hitting" when you mention his name even though the only hard hit he's ever made was the one on Chad Johnson! Nothing is his fault, ever!
              MiKiDo Facebook
              MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                Acid Douching Asswipe
                • Sep 2002

seriously, do you honestly believe that load of ****, or did you write it specifically to piss me off?

I started typing out a long response, but stopped halfway through because there's no point. It's all stuff I've said before, but some of you insist on defending losers and have truly come to accept mediocrity from this franchise. I'll never understand this blatant refusal to hold Donte Whitner accountable. I wish someone would just explain what makes him above criticism.
                MiKiDo Facebook
                MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Barb
                  • Nov 2008

since when can you measure a NT only by the numbers ? have you ever seen ngata play ? he shapes up to become the best NT in the game beeing top 3 already

Comment

• elltrain22
                    • Sep 2003

Lets examine everything that Donte has done positive...

- he's had 90+ tackles 2 out of his 3 seasons (only season he didn't was last year but he missed 3 games)
                    - tough guy, who plays through pain
                    - he's been a solid locker room guy
                    - he's a PROUD Buffalo Bill
                    - he's a good teammate

Lets look at his neg's
                    - has only had 2 int's
                    - has been lackluster, at times, in pass coverage

Reasons why??

1.) we've never had a solid pass rush (plays much better when Schobel is in the lineup
                    2.) our LB's can't cover the TE
                    3.) we've never equipped him w/ a capable counterpart

I think w/ all that said, he's a pretty serviceable guy. Great? No. Good? Hell yeah!! Pro bowl in his future?? maybe...
                    If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by OpIv37
                      I wish someone would just explain what makes him above criticism.
                      Well, the Bills had one of the worst front sevens in all of football last year. And, Donte was the best safety the Bills had. It is like you blame Whitner for where he got drafted.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Barb
                        since when can you measure a NT only by the numbers ? have you ever seen ngata play ? he shapes up to become the best NT in the game beeing top 3 already
                        Huh? I disagree about the top 3 already.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• OpIv37
                          Acid Douching Asswipe
                          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by yordad
                          Well, the Bills had one of the worst front sevens in all of football last year. And, Donte was the best safety the Bills had. It is like you blame Whitner for where he got drafted.
                          "best safety the Bills had" means nothing.

He needs to help this team win and he doesn't, and all you people can say is "well it was the front seven's fault."
                          MiKiDo Facebook
                          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
                            Acid Douching Asswipe
                            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by elltrain22
                            Lets examine everything that Donte has done positive...

- he's had 90+ tackles 2 out of his 3 seasons (only season he didn't was last year but he missed 3 games)
                            - tough guy, who plays through pain
                            - he's been a solid locker room guy
                            - he's a PROUD Buffalo Bill
                            - he's a good teammate

Lets look at his neg's
                            - has only had 2 int's
                            - has been lackluster, at times, in pass coverage

Reasons why??

1.) we've never had a solid pass rush (plays much better when Schobel is in the lineup
                            2.) our LB's can't cover the TE
                            3.) we've never equipped him w/ a capable counterpart

I think w/ all that said, he's a pretty serviceable guy. Great? No. Good? Hell yeah!! Pro bowl in his future?? maybe...
                            You forgot getting lit up by running backs at least twice. You forgot his tackle 8 yards deep in the endzone. You forgot taking bad angles on long running plays. You forgot his ridiculous playoff guarantee. You forgot the time he hit his girlfriend. You forgot getting tased by the cops.

A S who doesn't get interceptions, rarely even gets passes defensed, and has had declining tackle numbers every year? That's your definition of "good" and "future pro bowl"? This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity.
                            MiKiDo Facebook
                            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• rcd333
                              • Mar 2007

ngata has more interceptions and more pdef's than whitner

Comment

Working...
                              X