PDA

View Full Version : Defending Donte Whitner

kid mickey
05-08-2009, 04:50 PM
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5Cti%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="State"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="City"></o:smarttagtype><o:smarttagtype namespaceuri="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" name="place"></o:smarttagtype><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> in the 2006 NFL Draft. Especially when there are so many naysayer’s out their saying the pick should have been Haloti Ngata. My only response is, do you think Ngata could have done what he has done in Defending Donte Whitner
<o:p> </o:p>
Its no easy task defending the 8<sup>th</sup> overall selection <st1:city w:st="on">Baltimore</st1:city> here in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:city></st1:place>?
While Ngata is definitely shaping up to be a solid DT with 149 tackles, five sacks and three interceptions, those numbers aren’t exactly gaudy comparing him to other DT’s that were selected high in the draft. For instance Sedrick Ellis last year as a rookie for the Saints put up a whopping 30 tackles and four sacks compared to Ngata’s 31 tackles, one sack, and one pick his rookie campaign. Our very own John McCargo in 2007 when fully healthy got 29 tackles with 2.5 sacks. He wasn’t even a starter either. We all know he has struggled, but this isn’t about him.
In 2006 all Donte Whitner was asked to do was play safety. And play safety he did. Finishing with a whopping 104 tackles, one pick, and four passes defensed. In 2007 we saw his numbers go down a bit as he was used more in different aspects of the game. He still finished the season with 89 tackles one pick, and only one pass defensed. With an injury ravaged defense and guys swapping in and out of line-up at FS, Whitner had to line up at FS at times and others he was a nickel corner. He even played the second cornerback on a few snaps. The same thing happened in 2008. While his numbers went even further down, I credit that to the fact Posluszny was healthy and making all the tackles in the middle of the field. Whitner still managed to put up 61 tackles, have one pass defensed and get a one sack.
Not bad for the guy who was selected behind Michael Huff. Just to put things in perspective Huff has played about as good as Ko Simpson. Now that would have been a major reach.
On the field Donte Whitner is a hard hitting safety who always seems to be around the ball. He is a vocal leader and very passionate player. He is always willing to help younger players refine their game. Last year he had Leodis McKelvin stay at his house and work with him to learn the play book and understand the fundamentals of the Bills defense. He was voted a team captain for the first time in his career this past year. It is no small feat to garner the respect of your teammates after only playing in the league for two years.
Off the field for the most part Donte Whitner has been nothing but a model citizen. He has held annual charity bowling events for cancer research. He has also participated in turkey giveaways in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:city>, <st1:state w:st="on">Ohio</st1:state></st1:place> and contributed to Play 60 an NFL sponsored program that helps kids stay active. This is a guy that many kids look up to in the community and he is a fine example of what a role model should be.
Sadly on April 11<sup>th</sup>, 2009 in the wee hours of that Saturday morning a riot broke outside the House of Blues, a nightclub located in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Cleveland</st1:city>, <st1:state w:st="on">Ohio</st1:state></st1:place>. Whitner was there attending a birthday bash for longtime friend Ted Ginn Jr. Apparently Whitner’s cousin was also attending the bash and was involved in the ensuing riot outside. Whitner rushed to the door and tried to break free of police custody. The police had warned him to stay inside. Whitner responded by saying, “My cousin is out there, and they’ve got guns.” Whitner was subsequently tasered and handcuffed outside the nightclub. While it is certainly heroic to want to help your cousin, Whitner later apologized for his behavior stating that "It's not how I wish to conduct myself, and I apologize to all those involved." This shows me that he has owned up to his mistake and has learned from his poor decision.
Heading into the 2009 season Donte Whitner has a major chip on his shoulder. Bills fans constantly think in the back of their minds, ‘what if we got Ngata?’, ‘would this team be better?’ My answer to this question is ‘we’ll never know’. Embrace the player and team leader you do have, and watch out because Whitner just might deliver the play-off goods this upcoming season.
Hope you enjoyed it.

JD
05-08-2009, 05:02 PM
Well now we know Dontes username.. welcome to the boards my friend!

Lexwhat
05-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Well now we know Dontes username.. welcome to the boards my friend!

I knew it all along.

:snicker:

Mitchell55
05-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Honestly, we passed up on Ngata but now we have Whitner and Stroud. If we wouldve got Ngata then we would on have a DT.

Oaf
05-08-2009, 05:54 PM
Good post.

casdhf
05-08-2009, 06:19 PM
We have far bigger problems on this defense than him

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 06:44 PM
:rolleyes:

Saint Donte can do no wrong! Love him and his lack of production! Never blame him or hold him accountable! Always say "hard hitting" when you mention his name even though the only hard hit he's ever made was the one on Chad Johnson! Nothing is his fault, ever!

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 06:52 PM
seriously, do you honestly believe that load of ****, or did you write it specifically to piss me off?

I started typing out a long response, but stopped halfway through because there's no point. It's all stuff I've said before, but some of you insist on defending losers and have truly come to accept mediocrity from this franchise. I'll never understand this blatant refusal to hold Donte Whitner accountable. I wish someone would just explain what makes him above criticism.

Barb
05-08-2009, 07:04 PM
since when can you measure a NT only by the numbers ? have you ever seen ngata play ? he shapes up to become the best NT in the game beeing top 3 already

elltrain22
05-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Lets examine everything that Donte has done positive...

- he's had 90+ tackles 2 out of his 3 seasons (only season he didn't was last year but he missed 3 games)
- tough guy, who plays through pain
- he's been a solid locker room guy
- he's a PROUD Buffalo Bill
- he's a good teammate

Lets look at his neg's
- has only had 2 int's
- has been lackluster, at times, in pass coverage

Reasons why??

1.) we've never had a solid pass rush (plays much better when Schobel is in the lineup
2.) our LB's can't cover the TE
3.) we've never equipped him w/ a capable counterpart

I think w/ all that said, he's a pretty serviceable guy. Great? No. Good? Hell yeah!! Pro bowl in his future?? maybe...

yordad
05-08-2009, 07:17 PM
I wish someone would just explain what makes him above criticism.Well, the Bills had one of the worst front sevens in all of football last year. And, Donte was the best safety the Bills had. It is like you blame Whitner for where he got drafted.

yordad
05-08-2009, 07:18 PM
since when can you measure a NT only by the numbers ? have you ever seen ngata play ? he shapes up to become the best NT in the game beeing top 3 alreadyHuh? I disagree about the top 3 already.

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Well, the Bills had one of the worst front sevens in all of football last year. And, Donte was the best safety the Bills had. It is like you blame Whitner for where he got drafted.

"best safety the Bills had" means nothing.

He needs to help this team win and he doesn't, and all you people can say is "well it was the front seven's fault."

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Lets examine everything that Donte has done positive...

- he's had 90+ tackles 2 out of his 3 seasons (only season he didn't was last year but he missed 3 games)
- tough guy, who plays through pain
- he's been a solid locker room guy
- he's a PROUD Buffalo Bill
- he's a good teammate

Lets look at his neg's
- has only had 2 int's
- has been lackluster, at times, in pass coverage

Reasons why??

1.) we've never had a solid pass rush (plays much better when Schobel is in the lineup
2.) our LB's can't cover the TE
3.) we've never equipped him w/ a capable counterpart

I think w/ all that said, he's a pretty serviceable guy. Great? No. Good? Hell yeah!! Pro bowl in his future?? maybe...

You forgot getting lit up by running backs at least twice. You forgot his tackle 8 yards deep in the endzone. You forgot taking bad angles on long running plays. You forgot his ridiculous playoff guarantee. You forgot the time he hit his girlfriend. You forgot getting tased by the cops.

A S who doesn't get interceptions, rarely even gets passes defensed, and has had declining tackle numbers every year? That's your definition of "good" and "future pro bowl"? This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity.

rcd333
05-08-2009, 07:53 PM
ngata has more interceptions and more pdef's than whitner

Mitchell55
05-08-2009, 08:10 PM
:rolleyes:

Saint Donte can do no wrong! Love him and his lack of production! Never blame him or hold him accountable! Always say "hard hitting" when you mention his name even though the only hard hit he's ever made was the one on Chad Johnson! Nothing is his fault, ever!

1st off, you dont understand. Kieth Ellison, Ko Simpson, Chris Kelsay. All make bad plays all the time. Donte doesnt, he does his job. You cant bash a guy because he is the 8th overall pick a few years back. If you are going to bash a player for doing his job than you have issues.

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 08:19 PM
1st off, you dont understand. Kieth Ellison, Ko Simpson, Chris Kelsay. All make bad plays all the time. Donte doesnt, he does his job. You cant bash a guy because he is the 8th overall pick a few years back. If you are going to bash a player for doing his job than you have issues.

Trust me, I'm all over Ellison, Kelsay and Simpson... well not so much Simpson because he was barely on the field last year but definitely the other two. They suck.

If you think Donte does his job, you don't know much about football. He's mediocre at it and there is PLENTY of room for improvement, but people like you want to let him off the hook just because he's not as bad as Kelsay, Simpson or Ellison. That's called "accepting mediocrity."

yordad
05-08-2009, 08:51 PM
"best safety the Bills had" means nothing.

He needs to help this team win and he doesn't, and all you people can say is "well it was the front seven's fault."How does that "mean nothing"? You said you want to "hold him accountable!"; do you want to cut the whole team? Lets hold Whitner, Denny, Kelsey, Williams, Schobel, Mitchell, Poz, Ellison, Simpson, Scott, McGee, and McKelvin all accountable. Cut them.

You can't go cutting one of your better players. He was the best safety. Should the Bills have keep the ones that weren't as good and cut Whitner? Or, should they have cut them all? Or, how does one hold a safety, team-captain accountable? Should they cut every safety and replace them with free agents?

"Well, we know Whitner isn't an all pro. We would be dumb to start him, when we already know he isn't the best in the league. Lets grab 4 undrafted guys and see if they can be better then our lot".

Or do you see better options somewhere?

Oh, BTW, I never said it was the front sevens fault. Are you telling me the statement I actually did make is wrong...."Well, the Bills had one of the worst front sevens in all of football last year"?

elltrain22
05-08-2009, 09:08 PM
You forgot getting lit up by running backs at least twice. You forgot his tackle 8 yards deep in the endzone. You forgot taking bad angles on long running plays. You forgot his ridiculous playoff guarantee. You forgot the time he hit his girlfriend. You forgot getting tased by the cops.

A S who doesn't get interceptions, rarely even gets passes defensed, and has had declining tackle numbers every year? That's your definition of "good" and "future pro bowl"? This is exactly what I mean when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity.

1- everybody gets lit up by good rb's
2- most every db has a bad play every now and then
3- playoff guarantee I didn't mind, I liked his confidence
4- g'friend incident- were you there???
5- cops tased- were you there?? btw- none of us on this message board know what its like to be a pro athlete under a microscope 24/7
6- rarely get passes defended b/c our d-line lets the qb have 6-7 secs to throw the ball
7- he's not even 24 yrs old!!!

good arguments though!! Op you are good at arguing!!

yordad
05-08-2009, 09:13 PM
ngata has more interceptions and more pdef's than whitnerAnd Whitner had as many sacks last year.

Mitchell55
05-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Trust me, I'm all over Ellison, Kelsay and Simpson... well not so much Simpson because he was barely on the field last year but definitely the other two. They suck.

If you think Donte does his job, you don't know much about football. He's mediocre at it and there is PLENTY of room for improvement, but people like you want to let him off the hook just because he's not as bad as Kelsay, Simpson or Ellison. That's called "accepting mediocrity."

Then bash McGee, bash Parrish, bash Kyle Williams. All were medicore last year.

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 09:53 PM
1- everybody gets lit up by good rb's
2- most every db has a bad play every now and then
3- playoff guarantee I didn't mind, I liked his confidence
4- g'friend incident- were you there???
5- cops tased- were you there?? btw- none of us on this message board know what its like to be a pro athlete under a microscope 24/7
6- rarely get passes defended b/c our d-line lets the qb have 6-7 secs to throw the ball
7- he's not even 24 yrs old!!!

good arguments though!! Op you are good at arguing!!

ha, thanks, I've been told that.

OpIv37
05-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Then bash McGee, bash Parrish, bash Kyle Williams. All were medicore last year.

And I did bash all of them at different points throughout the year.

The difference is that when I bash them after they do something wrong, most people agree. When I bash Whitner after he does something wrong, I get a million excuses as to why it wasn't his fault. I'm obsessed with this phenomenon. What is it about Whitner that makes people refuse to see his faults?

elltrain22
05-08-2009, 10:07 PM
And I did bash all of them at different points throughout the year.

The difference is that when I bash them after they do something wrong, most people agree. When I bash Whitner after he does something wrong, I get a million excuses as to why it wasn't his fault. I'm obsessed with this phenomenon. What is it about Whitner that makes people refuse to see his faults?

2 reasons. First, he's not as bad as you think he is. Yeah, he gets jobbed sometimes, but, most of the time, he is pretty effective. Second, he's only 24, and he has had the disadvantage of playing behind a putrid front 7, and a less than capable supporting cast of DB's.

Hey I'm a realist too dude. Whitner, IMO, isn't that bad. Not great, but he's a good player.