PDA

View Full Version : Bruce is not washed up

BillsFanInMass
05-17-2003, 08:52 AM
Last year i watched a couple redskin games and Bruce was still drawing double teams and appeared just as quick as ever. I think that if we bring him back to buffalo he would be so pumped up that he would have an outstanding year maybe even 2 yrs . I hope we get him if he gets cut it will turn out too be one of this years best stories and i think we could sign him cheap low risk.

Doc
05-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Bruce in a rotation at RDE would be nice to see again.

imbondz
05-17-2003, 12:41 PM
These were his stats last year w/ the 'Skins:

BRUCE SMITH

Tackles 37
Solo 35
Assists 12
Sacks 9
Fum Rec 0

Second only to Arrington in sack totals on the Skins. The guy can still play. Not to mention his leadership capabilities, coupled with Spikes drive to succeed. I'd be so psyched if he finished his career with the Bills. He's my second all time favorite player behind Jim Kelly-

Could you imagine this scenario: Bruce comes back to Buffalo and takes the Bills back to the SB and wins it- it'd be an unbelievable NFL story.

LABillsFan
05-17-2003, 01:45 PM
I saw a few Skins games as well but the ones I saw, Bruce was getting pushed right out of the play. As far as his sacks go, 3 came against Dallas, 2 against Houston and 2 against Seattle. These teams were not that good. It's like throwing accolaids to Clements for his 6 interceptions and then you realize, 3 came in one game against a poor QB. He'd have to come in at vet min. and do spot duty, other wise, he's taking time away from the other DE's to develope.

imbondz
05-17-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by LABillsFan
I saw a few Skins games as well but the ones I saw, Bruce was getting pushed right out of the play. As far as his sacks go, 3 came against Dallas, 2 against Houston and 2 against Seattle. These teams were not that good. It's like throwing accolaids to Clements for his 6 interceptions and then you realize, 3 came in one game against a poor QB. He'd have to come in at vet min. and do spot duty, other wise, he's taking time away from the other DE's to develope.

I'm not saying he should play every down. Vet min, and enough plays so he can break the sack record in a Bills uniform.

BillsFanInMass
05-17-2003, 02:56 PM
yes bruce smith in a rotation is what they should do.

Stewie
05-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Last time I checked, sacks vs bad teams count the same as sacks vs. good teams :)

TypicalBill
05-17-2003, 03:35 PM
doesn't Bruce play RDE? if so, then when he faced Seattle, he was up against one of the top 3 OT in the NFL..LT Walter Jones.

LABillsFan
05-17-2003, 05:05 PM
PaulB,
Sacks against bad teams do count the same as against good teams.

Last time I checked,
1.) guys who don't perform against good teams, get cut
2.) Teams who don't win against good teams don't go to far in the playoffs

Typ,
If he actually went against, Jones. The skins played BS in the middle alot, in fact that's were the majority of his sacks came from. 7 of 9.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/splits?statsId=558

I was a BS fan last DECADE, he may add a spark under the Bills DE's but for getting him here for minimal contributions doesn't seem like money well spent. He has to go against NE, MIA, NYJ not SEA, Dallas, ARI.

THATHURMANATOR
05-17-2003, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by paulB
Last time I checked, sacks vs bad teams count the same as sacks vs. good teams :)

Thats what I thought too..

Guess not...

WG
05-17-2003, 07:15 PM
LA is absolutely correct!!!

Bruce got pushed around last year badly! I live in the D.C. area and each and every game is on regular TV b/c all home games are sold out and even tho they suck, the skins fans are rabid. I saw them often and was entirely unimpressed. Like LA says, Bruce got overpowered anytime a bigger, faster OT (which are many now) went up against him.

He no longer has the speed, he never had the size, and the fact is that he's only gonna lose from prior years every year now and there will eventually be a very large dropoff in his level of play. Frankly, I thought that was last season.

Under any circumstances, there's no way on earth that TD brings him back here. But he can't be OTs who are average or better anymore. LA is right, his sacks were not of the big play variety that he used to get to say the least.

Mr. Miyagi
05-17-2003, 07:21 PM
BRING BRUCE HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captain gameboy
05-17-2003, 07:25 PM
This is Tom and Greg's team, not Marv and Polian's.
Bruce is from a different era. His strengths have always been his quickness and speed, not his power, and his quickness is largely gone. He gets shoved around by most LT's when straight up. The only way he has success is from stunts.
In my mind, he's the best ever. Never has one man been blocked by so many for so long.
But those days are long gone. Let's have a day for him in a few years when he goes on the wall, but let's let Takeo et al have their shot without distraction.

Turf
05-17-2003, 07:28 PM
Unless Bruce has matured at a logarithmic rate, there's no way he belongs here. Does Bruce voluntary attend Mini camps? We have a cohesive bunch of guys now with incredible internal leadership and drive. Why bring Bruce in to ruin it?
Does anyone think that Bruce's I'm better than you all arrogance was deterimental to the teams Super Bowl success? Maybe if Bruce was in training camp as a leader every year, things would have been different.
Bruce never showed up in a Super Bowl. He had 4 chances. What's he going to do at age 38 or 39? Let go of the past people.

WG
05-17-2003, 07:37 PM
Nicely stated TH!!

imbondz
05-17-2003, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
Let go of the past people.

no.

pmoon6
05-18-2003, 08:03 AM
As much as I love Bruce,I think it would be counterproductive to bring him back.TD is building a new team in Buffalo and with Schobel,Jones, Mckenzie,and Kelsay you have some good young talent.Schobel came on last year and should continue to get better.Are you going to pull him on 3rd down in favor of Smith?That wouldn't be good for Schobel's developement or the teams.

Stewie
05-18-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Travis Hunter
What's he going to do at age 38 or 39? ]

I'm guessing about 7 sacks off the bench.

Also set the record for most sacks ever, in a Bills uniform, the image of which will be broadcast around the world.

Also guarantee another guy goes to the hall as a Buffalo Bill.

:cool:

Turf
05-18-2003, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by imbondz

no.

I can't help but admire that simple answer

:rofl:

HotRod
05-18-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by pmoon6
As much as I love Bruce,I think it would be counterproductive to bring him back.TD is building a new team in Buffalo and with Schobel,Jones, Mckenzie,and Kelsay you have some good young talent.Schobel came on last year and should continue to get better.Are you going to pull him on 3rd down in favor of Smith?That wouldn't be good for Schobel's developement or the teams.

I agree.

Bert102176
05-19-2003, 07:32 PM
well I believe Bruce in a rotation role could help us alot. TD bring Bruce home!

yle
05-20-2003, 08:53 AM
If all you want from him is a few sacks off the bench, there has got to be someone available after June 1st that can do that ( and who is probably cheaper and younger). Even if they don't get someone else, it would be better to take your chances with the young guys and hope they develop than waste cap space on someone that has never proven to be a solid team guy.

lordofgun
05-20-2003, 08:56 AM
Would I take him back at vet min? Heck yeah.

THATHURMANATOR
05-20-2003, 09:20 AM
Again I will say it. Would you rather have an injured Mckenzie or Bruce Smith??

Mr. Miyagi
05-20-2003, 09:45 AM
Pound for pound, I'd take Bruce over McKenzie, healthy or not.