PDA

View Full Version : How does a spread offense look on a DC?

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 12:31 AM
How does it look. Like this?

WR1- Evans, Hardy
WR3- Reed, Parrish
WR2- Owens, Johnson
WR4- Nelson, Fagg?

Im just wondering. Also, once I get the answer, post how you think it will look, just for outside thoughts.

Ebenezer
05-09-2009, 12:36 AM
I have no clue what you are asking.

I suspect that when the Bills have to go four wide it will be Evans, Owens, Reed and Parrish. There may be times we see Fred Jackson or Stevie Johnson out there, too.

The Spaz
05-09-2009, 12:42 AM
Why are you listing Fagg at this point? The guy hasn't even been signed yet if he will at all.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I have no clue what you are asking.

I suspect that when the Bills have to go four wide it will be Evans, Owens, Reed and Parrish. There may be times we see Fred Jackson or Stevie Johnson out there, too.

Our spread offense is our offense now. Like the colts had Wayne, Harrison, Gonzalaz, and Clark. We will have Evans, Owens, Reed, and Nelson. Thats why we havent, and didnt pick up a FB and why we got a fast TE/WR.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 12:43 AM
Why are you listing Fagg at this point? The guy hasn't even been signed yet if he will at all.

Someone to fill it up. Only WR I could think of outside of Jenkins.

The Spaz
05-09-2009, 12:45 AM
We definitely have weapons it's just up to the o-line to block and Trent to find them.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 12:46 AM
ESPN's Tim Graham reported last week that the Bills may use a no-huddle offense this season. Not only was this also confirmed to me by a source close to the team, I was also told now that the team has a tight end they feel can be an important part of the passing game (rookie Shawn Nelson), they will look to use much more spread-formations in their base offensive sets, using three wide receivers, plus splitting Nelson out as a 4th receiver, and only using one running back in the backfield. The source said the Bills may do this even when they do not a run a no-huddle. The Bills had incorporated a fullback into their offensive gameplan more often the past two seasons. Running more 4 wide, 1 RB sets would obviously mean there wouldn't be a FB on the field as often.

Salsports.

Ingtar33
05-09-2009, 06:55 AM
are you asking how will Defensive coordinators game plan for us?

well it depends a lot on what we do with the offense. The trick is this... if we spread the field on the majority of our downs, we take away a lot of deceptive zone blitzing and exotic coverages that defenses can throw at you. About the only team that hides it's coverages well against a spread is the Pats... most other teams are pretty much an open book once you spread the field.

now... spreading the field and putting trent in the shotgun would help him a bit with the pre-snap reads... but it also puts tremendous pressure on the o-line... because you can run a basic coverage scheme and have a pretty good day if the QB is on his back all game. The big weakness you'll see in a spread is the lack of bodies to block a blitz... worse... there is little margin for error even with a basic 4 man rush.

So i guess the big questions that need to be answered is...
1. how good will the line be
2. how well trent will function in the spread
3. how well will we run the ball out of the spread
4. are our WRs getting open

you know the answers to that and you know how the DCs in the league will respond to it.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-09-2009, 08:20 AM
In order to have a good spread offense we need to protect our quarterback, it's not that difficult to undestand: if our o-line collapses Trent is going to get killed! Now, considering we just changed our entire blind side of the o-line I do not know what to expect.

It is not easy to execute a spread offense.

TigerJ
05-09-2009, 10:01 AM
I imagine Schouman could split out. I don't know, maybe Fine could too. They just aren't going to stretch defenses the way Nelson should be able to. Fagg will be lucky to make the PS.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 11:49 AM
In order to have a good spread offense we need to protect our quarterback, it's not that difficult to undestand: if our o-line collapses Trent is going to get killed! Now, considering we just changed our entire blind side of the o-line I do not know what to expect.

It is not easy to execute a spread offense.

I dont know what you are talking about. Its almost impossible to blitz a spread offense because you need 5-6 DBs at all times which only leaves 1-2 LBs. As long as all 5 OL and Lynch can hold up 4 DL, we should be fine. Heres my take from another post.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Evans on the far left, Reed in the left slot, Owens at the far right, Nelson in the slot, Lynch in the backfield. Theres no way they can blitz us. They cant double cover Owens or Evans individualy because Owens is to big and strong and Evans is to fast. So thats 4 DBs covering them already. Then you have Reed or Parrish being covered by a LB along with Nelson. Aint going to work. Then you have to bring in 2 more DBs, so thats 6 DBs on the field most of the time, 1 LB, and the 4 DL. But then you have Lynch. You are forced to take double coverage off a WR or take out a DB. So either you have 1 on 1 coverage with Owens or Evans, or you have Nelson whos a very fast big TE who is more of a reciever, being covered by a LB. These teams are screwed, especially 3-4 teams.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 11:54 AM
I was also just asking what it looks like on a depth chart so I dont look stupid when posting them like I normally do. You dont have to answer, ill just look at the colts DC.

Captain gameboy
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I dont know what you are talking about. Its almost impossible to blitz a spread offense because you need 5-6 DBs at all times which only leaves 1-2 LBs. As long as all 5 OL and Lynch can hold up 4 DL, we should be fine. Heres my take from another post.

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Evans on the far left, Reed in the left slot, Owens at the far right, Nelson in the slot, Lynch in the backfield. Theres no way they can blitz us. They cant double cover Owens or Evans individualy because Owens is to big and strong and Evans is to fast. So thats 4 DBs covering them already. Then you have Reed or Parrish being covered by a LB along with Nelson. Aint going to work. Then you have to bring in 2 more DBs, so thats 6 DBs on the field most of the time, 1 LB, and the 4 DL. But then you have Lynch. You are forced to take double coverage off a WR or take out a DB. So either you have 1 on 1 coverage with Owens or Evans, or you have Nelson whos a very fast big TE who is more of a reciever, being covered by a LB. These teams are screwed, especially 3-4 teams.

You are wrong.

The first thing you do is take one of the four out at the line of scrimmage.

The second thing you do is attempt to get to Edwards before all of these mismatches play out.

In your scenario, we have four O-linemen and a running back in our protection scheme.

In other words, you are describing a run and shoot offense, with multiple adjustments by the receivers.

I'm not sure the run and shoot will work, and I don't think the receiver match ups will be as important as the protection match ups.

It all distills down to the same thing. If we have dominant offensive line play, we can dictate. If we don't we are the dictate-ee, as has been the case for many a year.

I'm thinking that our offensive line foundation will be laid this year, but we are nowhere near dominant.

In other words, tell me about receiver/db match ups at the four second mark, but let's worry about getting to the four second mark first.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
You are wrong.

The first thing you do is take one of the four out at the line of scrimmage.

The second thing you do is attempt to get to Edwards before all of these mismatches play out.

In your scenario, we have four O-linemen and a running back in our protection scheme.

In other words, you are describing a run and shoot offense, with multiple adjustments by the receivers.

I'm not sure the run and shoot will work, and I don't think the receiver match ups will be as important as the protection match ups.

It all distills down to the same thing. If we have dominant offensive line play, we can dictate. If we don't we are the dictate-ee, as has been the case for many a year.

I'm thinking that our offensive line foundation will be laid this year, but we are nowhere near dominant.

In other words, tell me about receiver/db match ups at the four second mark, but let's worry about getting to the four second mark first.

If they try and blitz you are leaving Evans or Owens on 1 on 1 coverage automatically. If they dont they are leaving Lynch open to bust out a 4+ yard run each time.

Jan Reimers
05-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Oh, you meant how would a spread offense with multiple WRs look on a Depth Chart?

I think most show traditional positions, including RB, FB, WR1 and WR2, and TE. The 3rd, 4th or even 5th receivers would come from the backups to WR1 and WR2, or the TE, RB, or even FB position.

I would think we'll run a lot of the more traditional 3 WR, TE, RB sets this year, and not just the no huddle, spread offense all of the time.

Pinkerton Security
05-09-2009, 01:21 PM
I dont think Nelson would be out there before Johnson, except in specific packages.

FlyingDutchman
05-09-2009, 01:34 PM
I dont understand the question.

nobody runs the spread in the NFL, and it wouldnt really work.

and yes you can blitz the a spread offense, its called a zone blitz.

nateodoms'bff
05-09-2009, 02:25 PM
I dont understand the question.

nobody runs the spread in the NFL, and it wouldnt really work.

and yes you can blitz the a spread offense, its called a zone blitz.

Really? So the Cardinals, Chiefs, Pats, Broncos, Bills.. none of those teams run a spread offense?

I think there is a great deal of confusion as to what the spread offense is. In the pro game its much different than in the college game. In college, there is the spread option like what Mizzu and Florida and Utah run. Then you have the Run and Shoot which is what Hawai'i ran with June Jones, then there is the Pro Style Spread which is what Charlie Weiss uses at ND. Which is the same model that is being used by the above mentioned pro teams. The Bills version is more along the lines of the Sam Wyche style no huddle, which gave birth to the K-Gun/Indianapolis Colts offense. They are all varients of the spread, which is a way to "spread" the defense out, to exploit seams in zone coverages, and take advantage of man coverages with physical receivers and speed.

It works really well in the pro game, and you are correct that zone blitz schemes are the best way to stop it. And I think that is where the Bills have the biggest problem. You beat the Zone Blitz by having a quick release QB. I'm not sold on the speed of Trent's delivery. He showed a lot of promise making quick reads last season and he certainly has the touch needed to put the ball in the spot where only the WR can get it, but he needs to continue to develop. My concern is with his arm strength. He doesn't need a rocket arm, but he needs to throw with more confidence and authority.

Captain gameboy
05-09-2009, 02:36 PM
If they try and blitz you are leaving Evans or Owens on 1 on 1 coverage automatically. If they dont they are leaving Lynch open to bust out a 4+ yard run each time.

One of the things that I think is funny about these discussions is the viewpoint that leaving Evans or TO, or whoemever, one on one is defensive suicide.

I guarantee you that Lee Evans has been single covered on many a pass play that failed, because the bet was successfully made that whoever the QB was could be disrupted before Lee, the supposed uncoverable, got open with a site lane to get the ball to him.

These things aren't magic. They are timing issues.

For the last few years, our offense has been given four seconds to get done what it would take five.

That is the issue. Not one on onec overage.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 02:43 PM
I dont think Nelson would be out there before Johnson, except in specific packages.

Sal said it would probably be Nelson, Reed, Evans, and Owens on the field most of the time.

yordad
05-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Sal said it would probably be Nelson, Reed, Evans, and Owens on the field most of the time.That sounds accurate.

Ingtar33
05-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I was also just asking what it looks like on a depth chart so I dont look stupid when posting them like I normally do. You dont have to answer, ill just look at the colts DC.

oh... i really missed the point of your questions. sorry.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-10-2009, 12:38 AM
I dont know what you are talking about. Its almost impossible to blitz a spread offense because you need 5-6 DBs at all times which only leaves 1-2 LBs. As long as all 5 OL and Lynch can hold up 4 DL, we should be fine. Heres my take from another post. So what? Any front four could easily beat up our o-line, besides if Trent chokes a blitz will destroy any possibility of execution. You are underrating football, you need more than a couple good wide receivers to have a spread offense and succeed.

If they try and blitz you are leaving Evans or Owens on 1 on 1 coverage automatically. If they dont they are leaving Lynch open to bust out a 4+ yard run each time. Yeah, before Edwards finds Evans or Owens he could very well be already sacked (every time you blitz you are going to leave people open but that doesn't mean anything, that is the whole premise of blitzing, google 'Dick LeBeau' or 'Jim Johnson' for more information). Even if Edwards shows he has the ability to execute fast enough for the spread offense to work we still don't know if our o-line is even going to have an acceptable performance.

The basics for a spread offense is a to have a high-IQ quaterback with a quick release and a good pass protecting o-line. You really think Buffalo has proven to have both? Wake up dude.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-10-2009, 12:57 AM
I would personally like Buffalo to spread the offense once in a while (and more often than we usually do) but to think we can play like Arizona or Indianapolis just because we signed Owens is too naive.