PDA

View Full Version : Look for a hybrid Defense

kid mickey
05-09-2009, 12:58 PM
The Buffalo Bills could essentially be running a 4-3, 3-4, 46 creep defense this year. It won't be anything traditional. They have the roster to possibly do something like this. What are your thoughts?

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 01:06 PM
If were to run the 3-4, we would have to get rid of schobel and possibly have Ellis as a LB. Maybin, Ellis, Pos, and Mitchell as LBs. Stroud, Williams, and possibly Spencer Johnson at DL. We can do it, but it would have to be next year.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Also, whats a creep D?

circlethewagons
05-09-2009, 01:09 PM
3-4 doesn't make much sense to me. We don't have the Defensive ends to run it or the big nose tackle thats so key to the 3-4. The creep worked well last year in spots and i imagine they will keep it as a situational defense

yordad
05-09-2009, 01:35 PM
A creep defense is where the "down" lineman basically just walk around presnap so the QB doesn't know who is coming and the O-line doesn't know who to block.

Last year we started the season with a hybrid. If yall recall we spanked the crap out of seattle by throwing everything at them. As the season went on they got less and less imaginative.

I hope they mix it up.

yordad
05-09-2009, 01:36 PM
3-4 doesn't make much sense to me. We don't have the Defensive ends to run it or the big nose tackle thats so key to the 3-4. The creep worked well last year in spots and i imagine they will keep it as a situational defenseKelsey, Stroud, and Johnson could work the line with Maybin and Mitchell coming off the edges. Poz and Digi could work the middle.

It could work at times. Probably not as a base, but a change of pace.

nateodoms'bff
05-09-2009, 02:13 PM
If were to run the 3-4, we would have to get rid of schobel and possibly have Ellis as a LB. Maybin, Ellis, Pos, and Mitchell as LBs. Stroud, Williams, and possibly Spencer Johnson at DL. We can do it, but it would have to be next year.

Im not usre why you think we would have to get rid of Schobel. When healthy he can explode through blockers, and has edge speed. He doesn't have the size for a 3-4 DE, but he does fit into the creep 5 man front nicely. I really thin that Fewell will start using that more often than not. The Tampa 2 is a great base defense, adding his flavor with the 5 man fronts has been proven to confuse OL's and QB's all across the league. Proof is what the Spags did with the Giants. They have all the pieces in place, now they just need to execute.

BillsWin
05-09-2009, 02:20 PM
I love the creep defense.

mikemac2001
05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
I think Creep D would be perfect to run with our D

Espically with Maybin being a rookie allow him to take advante of some mismatches

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Im not usre why you think we would have to get rid of Schobel. When healthy he can explode through blockers, and has edge speed. He doesn't have the size for a 3-4 DE, but he does fit into the creep 5 man front nicely. I really thin that Fewell will start using that more often than not. The Tampa 2 is a great base defense, adding his flavor with the 5 man fronts has been proven to confuse OL's and QB's all across the league. Proof is what the Spags did with the Giants. They have all the pieces in place, now they just need to execute.

Schobel wouldnt fit anywhere in the 3-4. I wasnt talking about the creep at that moment

nateodoms'bff
05-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Schobel wouldnt fit anywhere in the 3-4. I wasnt talking about the creep at that moment

Ok, why?

He has the speed to rush the passer as an OLB, he tackles well enough to play against the run, the only weakness he has as an OLB in a 3-4 is his pass protection.

I'll ask again, but I doubt I'll get an answer, why is he not a fit in the 3-4?

BillsWin
05-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Schobel would be fin in a 3-4, so would Maybin.

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Schobel in 3-4. He will need to cover TEs and RBs. Hes never played it before and at 30 something he would have trouble making a transition.

Dr. Pepper
05-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Schobel in 3-4. He will need to cover TEs and RBs. Hes never played it before and at 30 something he would have trouble making a transition.

once you hit 30 your brain no longer retains new information? damn, i better stock up in the next 4 years!

Mitchell55
05-09-2009, 04:12 PM
once you hit 30 your brain no longer retains new information? damn, i better stock up in the next 4 years!

Schobels biggest strength is beating people with moves and strength, when you play OLB in the 3-4, you use your speed more. Schobel doesnt have speed.

yordad
05-09-2009, 04:39 PM
I don't think Schobel would be that good in a 3-4 either. And, I don't think he would want to play in it.

Turbo.GUN.Hawk!
05-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Simple, Schobel is too fin to become a 34 defensive end and too heavy and slow to become a 34 outside lb. The same thing happens with Kelsay.

Considering that we also wouldn't have the proper depth in the front three positions.

casdhf
05-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Schobels biggest strength is beating people with moves and strength, when you play OLB in the 3-4, you use your speed more. Schobel doesnt have speed. What are you talking about? His best (and only) move is the speed around the corner.

B-DON
05-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Maybe i missed something these past 5 years, but when has schobel EVER had speed?

Dying_-2-_Live
05-11-2009, 12:32 PM
The Creep honestly, was the only way we got decent pressure on opposing teams. Now with Maybin on the other side of schobel, we should beable to just run a simple 4-3 defense. None of that creep *****

OpIv37
05-11-2009, 12:53 PM
The creep D isn't a base D. It's a defensive play that you throw in from time to time to confuse the offense. It won't work if it's done more than a handful of times a game, and against some offenses it shouldn't be used at all.

As far as the 46 or the 3-4, we're not even close to having the personnel and this coaching staff is far too married to their systems. It's not going to happen.

Come to think of it, we don't have the personnel for the Tampa 2 either. But that's what our coaches chose and dammit, that's what they're going to run no matter how many games it costs us.

MPN
05-11-2009, 01:01 PM
The Buffalo Bills could essentially be running a 4-3, 3-4, 46 creep defense this year. It won't be anything traditional. They have the roster to possibly do something like this. What are your thoughts?

Did you hear this from a credible source, or are you just speculating. I could see it possibley working, but Fewell isn't going to change his strategeries. I have been hoping we will give a 34 defense a try, but we do not have the defensive ends to do a 3-4 scheme. Nor do we really have the linebackers to mix it up untill we see how our newest "converted" position player works out.

Mr. Pink
05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
The creep D isn't a base D. It's a defensive play that you throw in from time to time to confuse the offense. It won't work if it's done more than a handful of times a game, and against some offenses it shouldn't be used at all.

As far as the 46 or the 3-4, we're not even close to having the personnel and this coaching staff is far too married to their systems. It's not going to happen.

Come to think of it, we don't have the personnel for the Tampa 2 either. But that's what our coaches chose and dammit, that's what they're going to run no matter how many games it costs us.

Well that's the defense we're trying, unsuccessfully thus far, to acquire the pieces for.

We're closer personnel wise to that defense to any other.

I think a hybrid defense, like suggested at the beginning of this thread, would be a huge mistake and give up big plays.

I still really believe our defensive philosophy is to sit back and let the offense dictate what's going to happen. We don't have the pieces to play an attacking style, so the thought is keep everything in front of us and make the opposing team play mistake free football.

Which isn't that bad of thing considering we have zero playmakers on the defensive side of the ball. However we do need to acquire some of those, at some point.

Canadian'eh!
05-11-2009, 03:29 PM

sigh... they do NOT have the players to play any sort of effective 4-3.

and all teams run some hybrids of things from time to time... so the "creep" and 4-3 will probably also be used, but i'm not sure what there is to talk about... other than suggesting we play a 3-4 we can't play effectively.