What kind of impact will Nelson have as a rookie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillsWin
    man amongst boys
    • Oct 2008

What kind of impact will Nelson have as a rookie?

I'm curious as to what you think Nelson's stats will be come the end of the regular season. So I've got five choices based on last season's TE statistics. The 5 Choices are just round estimates of certain types of production. Chose based on the descriptions below...

1. Tony Gonzalez Type Production: Almost 100 receptions, over 1,000 yards and roughly 10 touch downs.

2. Antonio Gates Type Production: About 60+ receptions, Around 700-900 yards, 6+ Touchdowns.

3. John Carlson Type Production: Around 50 something receptions, Roughly 500-700 yards, 5 TDs

4. Desmond Clark Type Production: Around 35-40 receptions, 400 yards, 1-3 TDs.

5. Derek Shouman Type Production: 15-20 receptions, Around 200 yards and 0-1 TDs.

I'm curious to what you guys think Nelson will contribute to this team as a rookie. Here is a link to the TE stats from last season. Please choose one of the five types I have given, but don't be afraid to pick another TE's stats you think compare to what you predict Nelson will do this season. http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...true&Submit=Go

This should be fun!!!

btw, I tried to make a poll, it didnt seem to want to work...
    Last edited by BillsWin; 05-10-2009, 07:11 PM.
    I am The Batman.
  • Pinkerton Security
    Pinkerton's son
    • Feb 2006

Re: What kind of impact will Nelson have as a rookie?

I'd say 20-30 catches, 2 td's.

Comment

• BillsWin
      man amongst boys
      • Oct 2008

I would like to see some Carlson type production. I think Nelson has that type of skill set, and the no-huddle, 3 wide, 1 TE set where Nelson will spread out to be the 4th WR system may play towards his sure hands and athleticism.
      I am The Batman.

Comment

• Lexwhat
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Lexwhat

ROOKIES:
        Jason Witten had 35 catches and 1 TD his rookie year.
        Antonio Gates had 24 catches and 2 TDs.
        Tony Gonzalez had 33 catches and 2 TDs.
        Tony Scheffler had 18 catches and 4 TDs.
        Alge Crumpler had 25 catches for 3 TDs.
        Vernon Davis had 20 catches for 3 TDs.
        Todd Heap had 16 catches and 1 TD.
        Jeremy Shockey had 74 catches and 2 TDs (lone exception).
        Kellen Winslow was a moron.

...If those stats don't put things into perspective, I don't know what will. Nelson was a 4th round pick, and the 6th Tight End drafted this year.

No one should expect him to have more than 30 catches this year... IMO, Nelson is at least 2 years away from making even a sizable impact.

Comment

• Mitchell55
          only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
          • Feb 2008

28 catches, 2 TDs, 230 yds.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
            • Jul 2002

Tough to tell until he masters the Bills famous tight end "catch and fall" routine.

I just watched the Bills Jets on NFL replay and I swear to be a Bills tight end you must fall within 1/2 second after any reception.

Comment

• Mitchell55
              only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
              • Feb 2008

Nelson was the 3rd TE taken, I think? Where was Cook taken?

Comment

• yordad
                • Dec 2007

We have a "young" QB. He likes to dump it off short. He is conservative. The coaches are conservative. The game planning and play calling is conservative. He was drafting for his receiving skills. He has no real competition. He is the most athletic TE the Bills have ever had.

I think he has alot going in his favor. The only thing that isn't is the coaches may be to conservative. They may feel Nelson's blocking isn't good enough to make him a starter. I think other wise. Again, look at his competition. Fine isn't near the blocker some fans talk like he is.

Anyways, I'm going with 38 catches, 2 tds.
                "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• TigerJ
                  • Jul 2002

A lot will depend on how much he picks up in training camp. While he's a natural athlete, with great hands and speed to stretch the seam, we also heard hints during the rookie mini-camp that he's still pretty raw in some aspects of the game. While I'm excited that he's a Bill, I think the Bills may have to bring him along a little more slowly than we'd all like. I think in the end, the Desmond Clark comparison might be a fair one to make because I think he'll be splitting time with Fine and Schouman at the start of the season. He's a player I would expect to really blossom in his second season.
                  I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• The Spaz
                    • Mar 2003

Bigger impact than Royal...lol

Comment

• Lexwhat
                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                      We have a "young" QB. He likes to dump it off short. He is conservative. The coaches are conservative. The game planning and play calling is conservative.
                      I will have to disagree with you.

There is no reason to be conservative when you have Terrell Owens and Lee Evans. If the Bills want to do dump passes, they have Josh Reed and Fred Jackson/Marshawn Lynch.

Considering that we'll likely have Owens for only 1 year (meaning we don't extend him), the Bills would be foolish not to take advantage of their weapons.

If the Bills do play conservatively, they don't have a top-5 type of defense that will allow them to beat elite teams. We need to take advantage of our offensive weapons.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Mitchell55
                        Nelson was the 3rd TE taken, I think? Where was Cook taken?

1. Round 1: Brandon Pettigrew, Lions
                        2. Round 2: Richard Quinn, Broncos
                        3. Round 3: Jared Cook, Titans
                        4. Round 3: Chase Coffman, Bengals
                        5. Round 3: Travis Beckum, Giants
                        6. Round 4: Nelson, Bills.

Comment

• yordad
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                          I will have to disagree with you.

There is no reason to be conservative when you have Terrell Owens and Lee Evans. If the Bills want to do dump passes, they have Josh Reed and Fred Jackson/Marshawn Lynch.

Considering that we'll likely have Owens for only 1 year (meaning we don't extend him), the Bills would be foolish not to take advantage of their weapons.

If the Bills do play conservatively, they don't have a top-5 type of defense that will allow them to beat elite teams. We need to take advantage of our offensive weapons.
                          Hey, what we think they should do, and what I think they will do are two different things. I completely agree they should open it up, and go full throttle, so you are actually not disagreeing with me.

The question is, do you think they will do what you think they should do?
                          Last edited by yordad; 05-11-2009, 08:13 AM.
                          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• mikemac2001
                            is the creepy cross dresser staring at you in the corner
                            • Mar 2003

All he has to do is make plays when the ball is thrown to him and when he is on the field

I honestly dont care what his stats say because who knows how many plays there gonna use him

MUCK
                            FIAMI

Comment

• Mahdi
                              • Mar 2004

If he is the starting TE day one I would say, based on how often Trent likes to throw short and Nelson's size....

45 rec, 450 yds, 5 TDs

Comment

Working...
                              X