• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trapezeus
    Legendary Zoner
    • Oct 2004

is this schobel's last year?

just curious on what people expect out of Schobel.

I would be really disappointed if the bills are still looking to him at as a 3-5 year player. Last year he had a major injury and was on tape whining (in a joking manner) about being too old for this stuff. I get the sense that some of that was a real sentiment he was sharing.

I don't see schobel being particularly helpful this season and that we are just having him play this season out until we can get his replacement the following year.

Thoughts? do you want schobel around for a few more years or do you expect this to be his last year?
  • jimbohastle51
    All-Pro Zoner
    • Feb 2005

Re: is this schobel's last year?

i dont think he is going to be here for 3-5 more years with his age (he should be 32 at the start of the season i think) but if he puts up more than 8 sacks this season they will keep him another year. he is probably going to be a year to year guy after this season. if he produces he stays but if his production drops hes gone. the one thing he has in his favor is he hasnt had alot of "down" years or injuries so he does deserve a flier this past season from the team and us fans. it isnt like he is constantly injured. we always have our best pass rusher out there, but i would think that if he has a normal (or above average) schobel year next season kelsay will be gone and maybin and schobel would be our ends. but again this season i think he will be a year to year guy.

Comment

• Night Train
      Retired - On Several Levels
      • Jul 2005

One year at a time. He's a complete unknown entering this year, despite the medical report. I'll just cheer for the guy wearing our uniform and hope he can help us win games.

If he doesn't produce, he won't be back next year with such a big contract. We all know that. Same with Kelsay.
      Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• yordad
        • Dec 2007

No. It could have been if we were smart enough to draft Brown in the second, or Johnson in the 3rd. But no. We will watch him get completely old, and completely unproductive for a few more years still.
        Last edited by yordad; 05-11-2009, 01:02 PM.
        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

Schobel embarrassed himself with the "mic'd up stuff' and it's always bad when a team mate tells you to shut up for being such a downer.

The guy has never been the same since he went on a self imposed weight loss that Chris Brown pointed out and than a year later tried to defend.

You lose 17 pounds after a pro bowl season and see wht that get's you...5 sacks in two years.

Comment

• Dying_-2-_Live
            • Feb 2009

Schobel isnt able to beat tackles physically anymore, since he lost the weight. But, he should be productive if most of that was excess and not muscle
            "If you ain't first... You're last"

Comment

• madness
              • Apr 2003

I expect him to be healthy otherwise I expect him to be gone.

Comment

• MPN
                • Mar 2009

As is the usual, I don't really know how to respond to this until we see how Maybin performs. If Maybin and Ellis both manage to get into games and show life as pass rushers I would be ok with them letting Schobel go/signing him to 1 year deals. I wouldnt mind them keeping him around(within reason) until we get some sort of proven commodity.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                  • Jul 2002

Barring injuries I actually think Schobel will be solid.
                  sacrifice1
                  https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• TheMan08
                    Knocks only the living.
                    • Oct 2008

All depends how he plays.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                      • Feb 2005

Let's look at the numbers...

'07- Signed a 7 year contract worth $50.5M
                      '09- $3.5M salary + $3.5 bonuses + $1.57M amortized = $8.57M cap hit
                      '10- $6M salary
                      '11- $6.5M salary
                      '12- $6.5M salary
                      '13- $8.5M salary

From those salaries, I would conclude that this will be his last season as a Bill... Unless he has a pro-bowl season of course.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                        • Feb 2005

Actually.... His salary for the 1st 4 seasons of his new contract were part of the guaranteed money. That takes him through the 2010 season. With that being an uncapped year, I would think the Bills would keep him for 2010 if he's at all serviceable.

Find all the latest Rotoworld fantasy sports news, live coverage, videos, highlights, stats, predictions, and results right here on NBC Sports.

8/24/2007: Signed a seven-year, $50.5 million contract. The deal contains $21 million guaranteed, including Schobel's first four base salaries. 2009: $3.5 million, 2010: $6.025 million, 2011-2012: $6.5 million, 2013: $8.5 million, 2014: Free Agen
                        Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 05-11-2009, 01:28 PM.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                          All-Pro Zoner
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by draz54
                          Let's look at the numbers...

'07- Signed a 7 year contract worth $50.5M
                          '09- $3.5M salary + $3.5 bonuses + $1.57M amortized = $8.57M cap hit
                          '10- $6M salary
                          '11- $6.5M salary
                          '12- $6.5M salary
                          '13- $8.5M salary

From those salaries, I would conclude that this will be his last season as a Bill... Unless he has a pro-bowl season of course.
                          actually as long as he is getting no less than 8 sacks a season its worth keeping him until '13 at these numbers. 6.5 million (not all guaranteed) is a steal or a DE that puts up solid numbers every year (as i said i have to give him a flier last season as he has never been a injury guy).

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                            All-Pro Zoner
                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by yordad
                            No. It could have been if we were smart enough to draft Brown in the second, or Johnson in the 3rd. But no. We will watch him get completely old, and completely unproductive for a few more years still.
                            yordad-e-o i agree that we could have gotten another DE with potential at a great value in round 2 or 3 instead of reaching for levitre. honestly we probably could have taken a DE in round 3 CHARLES JOHNSON and still managed to get levitre in the end of round 3 maybe even round 4. well he is one of the best guards that came out in this draft, there wasnt a real premium on Guards in this draft, some of the higher rated guards didnt even go till the 5th and-7th. it would have been nice to come out of the draft with maybin and johnson or maybin and brown. in my opinion even though i like levitre that we needed more DE help than Guard help. butler is solid and chambers could play RT. and if we DO sign levi jones then the levitre help turns out to be for depth anyways because they are not going to pay butler 3 million a year to sit on the bench and langston walker isnt going to get cut because our coaching staff loves him. he is a stanford grad (the ole high character deal)
                            Last edited by jimbohastle51; 05-11-2009, 02:51 PM.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
                              actually as long as he is getting no less than 8 sacks a season its worth keeping him until '13 at these numbers. 6.5 million (not all guaranteed) is a steal or a DE that puts up solid numbers every year (as i said i have to give him a flier last season as he has never been a injury guy).
                              Or the Bills could do what smart teams do: Think in advance.

They should draft another good DE prospect next year in anticipation of Schobel / Kelsey / Denney leaving. You then have Ellis, Maybin, and another prospect; assuming they all turn into good players, this should set us up fine for the next 7-8 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X