PDA

View Full Version : Tonight I watched...

Historian
05-11-2009, 08:00 PM
The 1990 playoff victory against the fish.

Our offense struck quicker than a cobra, and was twice as deadly.

:(

BillsWin
05-11-2009, 08:11 PM
I remember that game. 44-34 was it? I remember the first TD. I think it was a 45 yard pass to Reed. Simply outstanding.

Joe Fo Sho
05-11-2009, 08:26 PM

I really wish I was old enough to remember those games. My earliest memories of the Bills are in the Todd Collins Era, with more vivid memories in the Flutie/Johnson/Music City Era.

The last buffalo fan
05-11-2009, 08:37 PM

Was this a VHS tape? I think I have it too, but I can't find them! :ill:

I'm now working on converting the vhs ones that I found (most of them regular season games between 93-96 seasons) into dvds.

OpIv37
05-11-2009, 08:55 PM
oh how I miss that team.

Every time I watch clips of them, it just amazes me how good they were. The offense had confidence. The defense had swagger. And they always forced their opponent to adjust. That was a team that knew how to win.

The contrast between that team and this current bunch of jokers makes me feel physically ill.

ParanoidAndroid
05-11-2009, 10:06 PM
oh how I miss that team.

Every time I watch clips of them, it just amazes me how good they were. The offense had confidence. The defense had swagger. And they always forced their opponent to adjust. That was a team that knew how to win.

The contrast between that team and this current bunch of jokers makes me feel physically ill.

No one in the entire NFL has a team like that anymore. Not even New England.

The last buffalo fan
05-11-2009, 10:22 PM
I was confident every single game getting the v, because if we were behind 14 points in the last 2 minutes, the D and/or the O would score probably at least as many points we were behind.

I really miss this kind of team maily because as we were beating everybody, the national tv companies were transmiting/had those games every weekend, and I was able to record most of them. Now i have to pay at least $130 for the season plus the damn monthly sky bill.

Devin
05-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Historian I watched that game like two weeks ago, I also watched the champ game against the chiefs. Ahhh the good old days.

LtFinFan66
05-12-2009, 12:05 AM
I watched yet another thrilling Pens/Caps overtime game and 24

Mitchell55
05-12-2009, 12:18 AM
I watched yet another thrilling Pens/Caps overtime game and 24

Cool, a guy that sticks to the present. Honestly guys, why do people bring up that team? Its 20 years and still people cant get over it. They are not the bills anymore. The only person, or 2 people still part of the team is Ralph and Buddy. Everyone else is gone, get over it. Stick to the present, the past is behind us.

BillsWin
05-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Cool, a guy that sticks to the present. Honestly guys, why do people bring up that team? Its 20 years and still people cant get over it. They are not the bills anymore. The only person, or 2 people still part of the team is Ralph and Buddy. Everyone else is gone, get over it. Stick to the present, the past is behind us.
You are too young to realize what you are talking about. The Bills of the early 90's were "THE team." We had it all, attitude, talent, swagger. It was the real glory days. You are a kid. One who wasnt around to see them play and for that I am really sorry for you. You will never understand. You can watch the old tapes of the games, but you werent there at the Ralph to watch the magic happen. There hasnt been any thing to cheer about regarding the Bills since before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye. You have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe if the Bills game some of us fans something to cheer about and talk about again other than the let downs, the crushing blows and the impending doom of Ralphs death sending the team to Canada, then we would talk about the present Bills.

Let us reminise of the past, it is the only good part of the franchise.

Shouldnt you be in bed? You have class tomorrow.

CuseJetsFan83
05-12-2009, 05:06 AM
You are too young to realize what you are talking about. The Bills of the early 90's were "THE team." We had it all, attitude, talent, swagger. It was the real glory days. You are a kid. One who wasnt around to see them play and for that I am really sorry for you. You will never understand. You can watch the old tapes of the games, but you werent there at the Ralph to watch the magic happen. There hasnt been any thing to cheer about regarding the Bills since before you were a twinkle in your daddy's eye. You have no idea what you are talking about. Maybe if the Bills game some of us fans something to cheer about and talk about again other than the let downs, the crushing blows and the impending doom of Ralphs death sending the team to Canada, then we would talk about the present Bills.

Let us reminise of the past, it is the only good part of the franchise.

Shouldnt you be in bed? You have class tomorrow.
even as a jets fan, i couldn't help but admire the bills with the k-gun offense... thurman running down the field, andre reed going downfield receiving passes from the finest man i've ever met in jim kelly....

on defense, how can you not remember darryl talley and those spandex outfits as he created havoc with bruuuuuuuuuuuce to all offenses.

and of course you have the special teamers led by one steve tasker....

outside of a shanked FG the bills were supposed to be super bowl champs, and the city would rejoice, but norwood missed it, and the rest is history.

there is nothing wrong in looking at the past, its one of the greatest motivators to the future..... hence you have those yesteryear speeches, or bring back the "old ball coach" so to speak.... and with the recent passings of lou saban, ralph's daughter, and jack kemp...... its taking a look at the glory days

LtFinFan66
05-12-2009, 05:23 AM
unless you are a Dolphin fan and bring up the Fins past on this site. Then you are told to move on to the present

Dr. Lecter
05-12-2009, 05:51 AM
It depends on the context.

If it is brought up as "Yeah, well we were undefeated in 1973, dammit!" is different than watching the game on tape and reminiscing.

LtFinFan66
05-12-2009, 05:58 AM
It depends on the context.

If it is brought up as "Yeah, well we were undefeated in 1973, dammit!" is different than watching the game on tape and reminiscing.Sure, you say that now(and it was 72')

Dr. Lecter
05-12-2009, 06:00 AM
Of course, none of the fans are as annoying as Mercury Morris.

Yasgur's Farm
05-12-2009, 06:14 AM
Cool, a guy that sticks to the present. Honestly guys, why do people bring up that team? Its 20 years and still people cant get over it. They are not the bills anymore. The only person, or 2 people still part of the team is Ralph and Buddy. Everyone else is gone, get over it. Stick to the present, the past is behind us.Mitch... You were this (><) close to a :negrep:

That team is, was, will always be the Bills. That team set the mark for any future Bills team to beat... Did you see the way Jimbo worked the pocket? Did you see, when he was in trouble, how the ball left his hand immediately when he saw the open guy? Trent should be locked in a room and forced to watch Jimbo for 24 hours straight.

The Spaz
05-12-2009, 06:25 AM
unless you are a Dolphin fan and bring up the Fins past on this site. Then you are told to move on to the present

As you should because it's not your teams board.

Mahdi
05-12-2009, 07:35 AM
No one in the entire NFL has a team like that anymore. Not even New England.
I would say the Colts are that team now.

OpIv37
05-12-2009, 07:49 AM
Historian I watched that game like two weeks ago, I also watched the champ game against the chiefs. Ahhh the good old days.

I was actually at that game- it's the only playoff game I've ever been to. Good times. It was about 30 degrees and raining but I was so pumped to be there that I never even got cold.

The last buffalo fan
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Quote:
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Devin

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I was actually at that game- it's the only playoff game I've ever been to. Good times. It was about 30 degrees and raining but I was so pumped to be there that I never even got cold.

Me and my wife will never forget this game, it was the day when my father in law passed away. I was so excited and cheering when the phone rang.

ParanoidAndroid
05-13-2009, 12:30 AM

Bills fans that were there during the 90's will never stop talking about that team. If you see a Bills team as good as they were, you will talk about them 20 years later as well.

LtFinFan66
05-13-2009, 12:34 AM
As you should because it's not your teams board.Really?? I hadn't noticed:rolleyes:

OK Spaz....let me break this down for you. i KNOW I am a Fin Fan on a Bills board. You don't have to act like an _________(fill in the blank) and tell me that everytime I say something. Thank you

Oh, and your post.....one of the dumbest I have ever read

The Spaz
05-13-2009, 06:23 AM
Really?? I hadn't noticed:rolleyes:

OK Spaz....let me break this down for you. i KNOW I am a Fin Fan on a Bills board. You don't have to act like an _________(fill in the blank) and tell me that everytime I say something. Thank you

Oh, and your post.....one of the dumbest I have ever read

Yeah it's right behind yours!:up:

LtFinFan66
05-13-2009, 06:24 AM
Yeah it's right behind yours!:up:I can explain my reasoning....can you?

The Spaz
05-13-2009, 06:41 AM
I can explain my reasoning....can you?

Fin fans understand reasoning? Hey I wouldn't say things like I do to you if you didn't put in shots like " of course he will he will be good he was drafted by the Bills", "unless you are a Dolphin fan and bring up the Fins past on this site. Then you are told to move on to the present" etc. Bottom line I hate the Dolphins, Bills fans hate the Dolphins and will never have respect for the Dolphins. So if you don't like being poked fun of on a Bills board maybe you can spend more time on the Dolphins board.

LtFinFan66
05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Not a shot at all. That goes for every team. And you can't have it both ways. It can't be ok for you to dwell on the Bills past and bring it up but not ok for a fan of another team to bring it up. Bills board or not.

Ask around, I can take being poked fun at just fine. I don't consider your post being poked fun at.

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 12:33 PM

Because to those of us who are in the 25-35 age range (or so), that team is why we're a fan of the Buffalo Bills. To the people over 35, that team remains the only really good team they've experienced in all their years of being fans.

Talent at every position. The will to win and the ability to make it happen. I can't even describe to you what it was like in WNY back then, and I lived in Rochester so we weren't even at the heart of it. The entire region was obsessed with the team, and the team always made it worth our while (except the Super Bowls, but still).

Like it or not, those years define the Buffalo Bills and any future Bills team will always be judged by how they compare to that team.

You get frustrated with me and some of the other people who are down on this team, but some of us aren't willing to let go of that standard and accept mediocrity. That's how Buffalo Bills football should be. It's not your fault, but unfortunately all you know from this team is mediocrity because they've been mediocre for your entire life.

The last buffalo fan
05-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Because to those of us who are in the 25-35 age range (or so), that team is why we're a fan of the Buffalo Bills. To the people over 35, that team remains the only really good team they've experienced in all their years of being fans.

Talent at every position. The will to win and the ability to make it happen. I can't even describe to you what it was like in WNY back then, and I lived in Rochester so we weren't even at the heart of it. The entire region was obsessed with the team, and the team always made it worth our while (except the Super Bowls, but still).

Like it or not, those years define the Buffalo Bills and any future Bills team will always be judged by how they compare to that team.

You get frustrated with me and some of the other people who are down on this team, but some of us aren't willing to let go of that standard and accept mediocrity. That's how Buffalo Bills football should be. It's not your fault, but unfortunately all you know from this team is mediocrity because they've been mediocre for your entire life.

Wow!! :bf1:

Historian
05-14-2009, 10:56 AM
A team that was fun to watch....what a concept!

Kelly had a real cannon in those days too.

TheBrownBear
05-14-2009, 02:48 PM
I didn't miss a single home game that season. Ah...the glory days! :)

FinFaninBuffalo
05-14-2009, 03:48 PM

Not to rain on your parade, but the Bills of that era are the exception. That era (unfortunately for Bills fans) does not define the team. I'm old enough to remember the Bills of the 1970s and 1980s and 2000s along with the 1990s.

The difference in that era (IMO) was Bill Polian. Until the Bills get a GM of his caliber, they will have trouble regaining the glory days. Given the current approach to spending money, even that may not be enough.

OpIv37
05-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Not to rain on your parade, but the Bills of that era are the exception. That era (unfortunately for Bills fans) does not define the team. I'm old enough to remember the Bills of the 1970s and 1980s and 2000s along with the 1990s.

The difference in that era (IMO) was Bill Polian. Until the Bills get a GM of his caliber, they will have trouble regaining the glory days. Given the current approach to spending money, even that may not be enough.

I think it does define the Bills because that's the only success we've ever had. I agree that this franchise has been bad a LOT more than it has been good, but the "Glory Years" are the measuring stick. No one is going to look at last year's 7-9 squad and say "Well at least they're better than the 5-11 squad from '05 or the awful squads from the early 80's." We're going to look at 7-9 and say "Why wasn't this team like it was in the early 90's?"

And yes, I agree the biggest problem with the Bills is the FO. These guys couldn't find talent if it kicked them in the nuts. Actually, you could even go a step further than that and put it on the one common thread through all the lean years: Ralph Wilson. Until he shells out for a real FO instead of putting a marketing geek in charge of a football team, we're going to look a lot more like 2005 than 1991.

FinFaninBuffalo
05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I think it does define the Bills because that's the only success we've ever had. I agree that this franchise has been bad a LOT more than it has been good, but the "Glory Years" are the measuring stick. No one is going to look at last year's 7-9 squad and say "Well at least they're better than the 5-11 squad from '05 or the awful squads from the early 80's." We're going to look at 7-9 and say "Why wasn't this team like it was in the early 90's?"

And yes, I agree the biggest problem with the Bills is the FO. These guys couldn't find talent if it kicked them in the nuts. Actually, you could even go a step further than that and put it on the one common thread through all the lean years: Ralph Wilson. Until he shells out for a real FO instead of putting a marketing geek in charge of a football team, we're going to look a lot more like 2005 than 1991.

Fair enough.

I will forever hate that Bills team and Tom Olivadotti for wasting some of the best years of Marino's career.

I like to call Tom Olivadotti the best OC that the Bills ever had.....