• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madness
    • Apr 2003

The Bills’ Offense, and the Limits of Spreading It Around

The Bills’ Offense, and the Limits of Spreading It Around

This came to mind recently when I heard multiple comments during Buffalo Bills broadcasts regarding how Turk Schonert’s offensive philosophy was helping the team’s passing game. Schonert is a proponent of spreading the ball around and getting everyone involved, and the players said it was a key reason the team was improved early in the 2008 season.

When I first heard this, I thought of something Dr. Z said in his book “The New Thinking Man’s Guide To Pro Football” about the early 1980s Steelers defenses. Their defensive coach at the time said that his new system was more efficient than the old Steel Curtain unit because all of the players could make a contribution. When Dr. Z told his son Michael about this, he made a terrific retort - “Makes a contribution?! What is this, the March of Dimes?”

The same indignant comment could be made about the idea of finding ways to spread the ball around more, and my scouting eye wondered why Schonert would do this. That’s when I decided to check with the metric eye to see what it said about this.

It turns out the metrics say there were times when Schonert’s plan actually worked rather well. For example, Lee Evans is rightfully thought of as a great vertical threat, but Schonert decided to get him more involved in the offense as a slot receiver. This tactic worked like a charm; Evans caught 14 of the 18 passes thrown to him in the slot and gained 198 yards. That equates to 11.0 yards per attempt, which is tremendous when you consider that the best wideouts in the league will normally average around 10.0 YPA in a season.
    It also worked to a lesser extent when the Bills lined up tight ends and running backs as wide receivers and threw them the ball. Buffalo was 20 for 33 for 262 yards when doing this. While that 7.9 YPA isn’t spectacular, it certainly is solid and evidence that the tactic is worth repeating for the most part.

The one glaring exception to this philosophy was when the Bills threw passes to tight end Robert Royal when he was lined up as a wideout. Buffalo was for 7 for 15 for 108 yards on those aerials, but one of those receptions was a 19-yard gain against a very soft prevent defense. Take that pass out and Royal’s flex YPA was a meager 6.4 yards, but his performance was actually a lot worse than the YPA shows. Three of the throws to Royal were picked off, and two others were nearly intercepted. If that weren’t enough, Royal also dropped two of the throws and the 19-yard gain mentioned previously ended with a lost fumble.

What this shows is that while it is a great concept to get everyone involved in all areas of the offense, there are certain players who simply aren’t cut out to do everything on every play. The key for Schonert’s future success as an offensive coordinator will be if he can discern which of his troops can and cannot do this and adjusts his approach according to their talent and limitations.

• psubills62
    Legendary Zoner
    • Sep 2008

Re: The Bills’ Offense, and the Limits of Spreading It Around

I guess it's pretty obvious that Royal was terrible. So basically, the concept worked well except when it was Royal who was involved. Replace Royal with Nelson and maybe our offense could be that much better without 4 turnovers on 15 attempts?
    "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
    - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by psubills62
      I guess it's pretty obvious that Royal was terrible. So basically, the concept worked well except when it was Royal who was involved. Replace Royal with Nelson and maybe our offense could be that much better without 4 turnovers on 15 attempts?
      you also have to watch the QB though. I doubt all of those INT's/almost INT's were Royal's fault- some have to go on Trent or JP (the article didn't say which one threw them).
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• psubills62
        Legendary Zoner
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by OpIv37
        you also have to watch the QB though. I doubt all of those INT's/almost INT's were Royal's fault- some have to go on Trent or JP (the article didn't say which one threw them).
        I agree with you there. It just doesn't seem like a coincidence that the one "receiver" to have terrible metrics in the new system is the only one who isn't on the team anymore. According to nfl.com, Edwards and Losman threw a total of 15 interceptions. I'm definitely not taking the blame off of their shoulders, but 20% of the interceptions (3 of 15) on the season came from 3.1% of the pass attempts (15 to Royal when lined up wide out of 479 total attempts)? Seems a little fishy to me.
        "Misguided political correctness tethers our intellects."
        - Nicholas Cummings

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

I agree with you there. It just doesn't seem like a coincidence that the one "receiver" to have terrible metrics in the new system is the only one who isn't on the team anymore. According to nfl.com, Edwards and Losman threw a total of 15 interceptions. I'm definitely not taking the blame off of their shoulders, but 20% of the interceptions (3 of 15) on the season came from 3.1% of the pass attempts (15 to Royal when lined up wide out of 479 total attempts)? Seems a little fishy to me.
          Royal definitely sucks. We're certainly no worse for losing him. I've been complaining about the guy for 3 years.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• acehole
            • Jan 2006

Yea add a player by the name of TO and it changes things a tad.
            Hated by the stupid..
            Loved by their moms.

Comment

• Ingtar33
              Dances With Buffaloes
              • Sep 2002

remember.. Royal had something like 2 fumbles last year... and i remember a couple INTS coming off his hands...

There was a point in the AZ game last year where every time JP threw at Royal a turnover happened. (2 INTs and a fumble i think)
              Last edited by Ingtar33; 05-12-2009, 11:37 AM.
              My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

I never wanted a receiver to go down so fast as much as Royal. Every time he caught the ball, I cringed in expectation of a fumble.

Comment

• Hammertime
                  • May 2005

OP - you've been complaining longer than that
                  Last edited by Hammertime; 05-12-2009, 12:22 PM.
                  Bruce: What time is it?
                  Biscuit: Huh?
                  Bruce: What time is it?
                  Biscuit: Showtime?
                  Bruce: (incensed) Hammertime!!
                  Biscuit: Hammertime!
                  Bruce: Hammertime is when you hitting that nail in a piece of wood with a hammer. You keep hitting that nail, over and over until you can no longer see the nail. You just see the wood is all splintered and what-not. That is Hammertime.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by the article
                    The one glaring exception to this philosophy was when the Bills threw passes to tight end Robert Royal when he was lined up as a wideout. Buffalo was for 7 for 15 for 108 yards on those aerials, but one of those receptions was a 19-yard gain against a very soft prevent defense. Take that pass out and Royal’s flex YPA was a meager 6.4 yards, but his performance was actually a lot worse than the YPA shows. Three of the throws to Royal were picked off, and two others were nearly intercepted. If that weren’t enough, Royal also dropped two of the throws and the 19-yard gain mentioned previously ended with a lost fumble.
                    Wow.

Comment

• TigerJ
                      • Jul 2002

I'm sure that the success of the "spread it around" approach will be dependent on the quality of the targets and the ability of the QB. Royal was not a good receiving tight end for all the hope the Bills had when they signed him. Op's point is a valid one. We do have to looke at each pass play and discern whether it was Royal or Edwards who contributed more to the incompletion and/or turnover. I would lean toward tthinking it was probably Royal though.Edwards seems as if he has the mental makeup to be able to fine the open man, though he sometimes seems to give up a bit too quickly on the deep roue.
                      I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                        • Jul 2002

I think the stats can be simply explained.
                        Royal can't get open.

Comment

• madness
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by gameboy
                          I think the stats can be simply explained.
                          Royal can't get open.
                          Either that or Trent was so good everywhere else, he sabotaged Royal.

I'll go with your explanation though.

Comment

• acehole
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by TigerJ
                            I'm sure that the success of the "spread it around" approach will be dependent on the quality of the targets and the ability of the QB. Royal was not a good receiving tight end for all the hope the Bills had when they signed him. Op's point is a valid one. We do have to looke at each pass play and discern whether it was Royal or Edwards who contributed more to the incompletion and/or turnover. I would lean toward tthinking it was probably Royal though.Edwards seems as if he has the mental makeup to be able to fine the open man, though he sometimes seems to give up a bit too quickly on the deep roue.
                            Zackly.
                            I guess we should go back to the old days when we had one target and he was doubled and then we can just blame the QB? This thread is silly.
                            Hated by the stupid..
                            Loved by their moms.

Comment

Working...
                            X