PDA

View Full Version : Roster Will Still Have To Overcome Jauron To Win

Night Train
05-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm a very positive fan and this recent off-season/draft finally showed the right path to building something long term.

I'm still sobered by the fact Jauron is still here & is usually outmatched by his couterpart most every game. I've lost count how many close games he played scared and got us beat with bad calls. He's basically gutless.

They must overcome Jaurons' affinity for FG attempts over TD's on O and giving up lots of plays underneath on D, since he considers not giving up the long TD a win, even if his D gets rolled and loses the game.

I still think he prevents this team from winning 3 close games a season and if Bobby April takes over this year, we'll be far better in the long run with this improved roster.

The best thing that could happen is the Bills do run the no huddle and Schonert has the O moving better than expected. Then Jauron would have to step out of the way.

Can we win in spite of him ? I've been sitting in the stands since the mid 1960's and he's one of the worst game managers I've ever seen.

Please stay out of the way, Jauron.

SabreEleven
05-12-2009, 06:41 PM
The best thing that could happen is the Bills do run the no huddle and Schonert has the O moving better than expected. Then Jauron would have to step out of the way.

This will give Jauron less chance to think and less time to screw things up.

casdhf
05-12-2009, 06:43 PM
I think its playoffs or bust this year for Dick.

FlyingDutchman
05-12-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree. Players love him, but as far as Xs and Os he is terrible. He shows no emotion to his team and sometimes I even wonder if he has a pulse. I want someone with some passion on the sideline and who will take a chance. I want Shottenhiemer.

yordad
05-12-2009, 07:57 PM
I can't disagree.

sdbillsfan2
05-12-2009, 09:08 PM
I've been thinking the same as everyone else so far. I agree this might be Dick's last stand. What really concerns me is, if and when he finally gets the boot , were going to be back at square one .
Hell I'm not getting any younger here , and after 50 years , I'd love to see a little more then the playoffs.

BillsWin
05-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I want Billick...

raphael120
05-12-2009, 09:59 PM
ill take a wet napkin, it has more personality than jauron

feldspar
05-12-2009, 10:10 PM
There is no way that what happens this year won't determine Jauron's future in Buffalo.

Hell, Mike Holmgren wants to return to coaching. Then you have guys like Mike Shanahan and Jon Gruden...that's three Head Coaches on the market that have actually won Super Bowls. Would Buffalo do what it takes to land one of these guys is the question.

Dick gets one more chance. That's it. The guy is likable, and I really do hope he succeeds...not just because he is the coach of my team. The more logical side of my brain tells me that he won't succeed, but my heart is with him...so there you have it. My heart won't be with him if we go 7-9 again. There is only so much I can take.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-13-2009, 03:37 AM
Forget Jauron's personality. His job is to win football games, not entertain the fans or media or make them feel warm and fuzzy. Tom Landry never broke a smile for YEARS (in fact, the TV announcers made a big deal of it the first time he was seen smiling on camera), but he won a TON of football games.

Jauron has done a great job of getting a young team to play hard even against much better teams and pretty well disciplined football (as evidenced by how few penalties they have gotten). His players like him a lot and he seems to be able to get his point across to them without screaming and hollering at them.

But, he has been a horrible "in-game" coach. And, he has given his assistants far too free a hand in making critical decisions during the course of a game (ie P.Fewell playing the DBs off Dallas' WRs at the end of the MNF game). Poor coaching decisions have cost the Bills at least two winnable games in each of the last two seasons (on the other hand, his conservative coaching has also put the Bills in a position to win some games that shouldn't have been close).

The only thing that gives me any hope is that Jauron, when speaking to the media back in January, acknowledged the fact that he and his staff had made a number of bad decisions and done things poorly during the course of last season--and, he said, that he and his staff would have to find ways to improve on this during the offseason.

Jauron is an intelligent guy, so I won't rule out the possibility that he can make improvements out of hand, but I will believe it when I see it. However, he and his staff will HAVE to make those improvements for the Bills to have a shot at making the playoffs this season. And, if they don't, they will be out of work at the end of the season.

I've said this before and I will say it again: I think that Jauron is a good coach to take a young team and mold them into a decent team, but I'm really not sure if he is a good enough "in-game" coach to get that team "over-the-hump" and into the playoffs. It is quite possible that it will take another HC to take this team to the next level where they can be serious playoff contenders (much in the way that it took Lovie Smith taking over in Chicago to get the Bears to the next level).

We will see whether Jauron will have improved enough this offseason to get this Bills team into the playoffs or not.

Don't Panic
05-13-2009, 05:32 AM
Jauron could not ask for a much better situation than this... if you make it to year four as a head coach with the same team, all without having a single winning season, you have to consider your self lucky. In that time, he has had the opportunity to develop his own players that were drafted and to bring in free agents who fit his model. Success this year is the only thing that keeps his tenure going to year 5. How to define that is debatable, but one must think that the playoffs at aminimum and possibly even a good showing would be necessities. If not, as was mentioned, there are quite a few guys on the sidelines waiting to get back in the game.

don137
05-13-2009, 06:21 AM
I agree. Players love him, but as far as Xs and Os he is terrible. He shows no emotion to his team and sometimes I even wonder if he has a pulse. I want someone with some passion on the sideline and who will take a chance. I want Shottenhiemer.

I think he is a good Xs and Os coach but he is a terrible game day coach.

Mahdi
05-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Jauron is a coach playing short-handed every Sunday. When you know you dont match up against those you are competing against it alters your mindset and how you approach games.

The Bills are weak in too many critical areas for a coach to be able to call a game as he normally would.

Lets re-cap.... up until now the DEs have been weak, OL has been weak, QB has been weak and receivers have been weak.....

Sorry but the fact that we actually won 7 games last season and the season before is a highlight on Jauron's resume.

Mr. Pink
05-13-2009, 07:34 AM
Forget Jauron's personality. His job is to win football games, not entertain the fans or media or make them feel warm and fuzzy. Tom Landry never broke a smile for YEARS (in fact, the TV announcers made a big deal of it the first time he was seen smiling on camera), but he won a TON of football games.

Jauron has done a great job of getting a young team to play hard even against much better teams and pretty well disciplined football (as evidenced by how few penalties they have gotten). His players like him a lot and he seems to be able to get his point across to them without screaming and hollering at them.

But, he has been a horrible "in-game" coach. And, he has given his assistants far too free a hand in making critical decisions during the course of a game (ie P.Fewell playing the DBs off Dallas' WRs at the end of the MNF game). Poor coaching decisions have cost the Bills at least two winnable games in each of the last two seasons (on the other hand, his conservative coaching has also put the Bills in a position to win some games that shouldn't have been close).

The only thing that gives me any hope is that Jauron, when speaking to the media back in January, acknowledged the fact that he and his staff had made a number of bad decisions and done things poorly during the course of last season--and, he said, that he and his staff would have to find ways to improve on this during the offseason.

Jauron is an intelligent guy, so I won't rule out the possibility that he can make improvements out of hand, but I will believe it when I see it. However, he and his staff will HAVE to make those improvements for the Bills to have a shot at making the playoffs this season. And, if they don't, they will be out of work at the end of the season.

I've said this before and I will say it again: I think that Jauron is a good coach to take a young team and mold them into a decent team, but I'm really not sure if he is a good enough "in-game" coach to get that team "over-the-hump" and into the playoffs. It is quite possible that it will take another HC to take this team to the next level where they can be serious playoff contenders (much in the way that it took Lovie Smith taking over in Chicago to get the Bears to the next level).

We will see whether Jauron will have improved enough this offseason to get this Bills team into the playoffs or not.

:up:

Agree completely. Jauron isn't a terrible coach...he's taken a team that since he's been here is below average and coached them up to a competitive level.

Sure he makes mistakes in some games, but with this roster, it's a miracle to even be around .500 every year.

This is a make or break year for Jauron seeing we have some more pieces in place to be more dynamic on the field. Unfortunately with the absolutely brutal schedule we have in place I don't think we're going to do much better than in previous seasons.

Having a coach that gets his talent to play above their ability, believe in the system and like him is very important in this league...too bad on gamedays he has lockdowns from time to time. But one cannot say he has taken a team with the talent level of an expansion team and gotten everything he could out of them and more.

Jan Reimers
05-13-2009, 07:44 AM
Jauron is a coach playing short-handed every Sunday. When you know you dont match up against those you are competing against it alters your mindset and how you approach games.

The Bills are weak in too many critical areas for a coach to be able to call a game as he normally would.

Lets re-cap.... up until now the DEs have been weak, OL has been weak, QB has been weak and receivers have been weak.....

Sorry but the fact that we actually won 7 games last season and the season before is a highlight on Jauron's resume.
I guess this lack of talent causes him to totally mismanage the clock, misuse his timeouts, and mangle his challenges?

I don't disagree that weaknesses at key positions is a major problem, and that Jauron might alter his playcalling because of it, but I don't see how it affects time/timeout management.

Mahdi
05-13-2009, 08:28 AM
I guess this lack of talent causes him to totally mismanage the clock, misuse his timeouts, and mangle his challenges?

I don't disagree that weaknesses at key positions is a major problem, and that Jauron might alter his playcalling because of it, but I don't see how it affects time/timeout management.
Jauron has been good with Challenges and for the record EVERY coach in the NFL makes game management mistakes but with the Bills there is no slack to be had. Good teams can overcome minor errors and still win, Bills simply dont have the talent to do that.

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 08:33 AM
Jauron has been good with Challenges and for the record EVERY coach in the NFL makes game management mistakes but with the Bills there is no slack to be had. Good teams can overcome minor errors and still win, Bills simply dont have the talent to do that.

Oh come on.

Sure, every coach makes game management mistakes. Very few coaches make the same NUMBER of game management mistakes as Jauron and no other NFL coaches consistently make the SAME game management mistakes as Jauron does.

Last year, someone bumped a thread that I started in 2006 complaining about Jauron's use of timeouts. And two years later, he's still struggling with the use of timeouts.

That has NOTHING to do with talent.

If anything, Jauron should be more careful with his game management simply because he knows they don't have the talent to overcome minor errors. But he doesn't - he continues to make several minor errors each week and it makes the players' job even more difficult.

Most teams just have to play their opponent. The Bills have to play their opponent, their coach, and when we're playing the Pats, the refs, too.

Mahdi
05-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Oh come on.

Sure, every coach makes game management mistakes. Very few coaches make the same NUMBER of game management mistakes as Jauron and no other NFL coaches consistently make the SAME game management mistakes as Jauron does.

Last year, someone bumped a thread that I started in 2006 complaining about Jauron's use of timeouts. And two years later, he's still struggling with the use of timeouts.

That has NOTHING to do with talent.

If anything, Jauron should be more careful with his game management simply because he knows they don't have the talent to overcome minor errors. But he doesn't - he continues to make several minor errors each week and it makes the players' job even more difficult.

Most teams just have to play their opponent. The Bills have to play their opponent, their coach, and when we're playing the Pats, the refs, too.
This is exactly my point.

Were on a Bills board discussing the misuse of a a few timouts. You think that they discuss this in Arizona.

Last year the Cards went to overtime against the Cowboys and won the game on a blocked punt for a touchdown. Wow Wisenhunt has the Cards beating the Boys now. Great coach.

However what was lost in that game is that he messed up with his time outs and because of that the game was sent to overtime, Cards had the game won in regulation if not for his error.

In Buffalo however, any little error can be our downfall because our talent level is so low compared to the teams we face.

Im not willing to judge a short handed coach who IMO has managed to get this group of average players to play hard and at least COMPETE in every game.

feldspar
05-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I just hope we can stay healthy this year. Injuries really have hurt us these past two years. Listen to me...injuries hurt...now for my next trick...

madness
05-13-2009, 10:00 AM

I'm not arguing Jauron's game (mis)management skills but I do believe that lack of talent has a direct impact on misuse of timeouts, play calling, etc on any coach. Bad teams have a tendency of making even the best coaches break good habits in any sport.

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 10:15 AM
This is exactly my point.

Were on a Bills board discussing the misuse of a a few timouts. You think that they discuss this in Arizona.

Last year the Cards went to overtime against the Cowboys and won the game on a blocked punt for a touchdown. Wow Wisenhunt has the Cards beating the Boys now. Great coach.

However what was lost in that game is that he messed up with his time outs and because of that the game was sent to overtime, Cards had the game won in regulation if not for his error.

In Buffalo however, any little error can be our downfall because our talent level is so low compared to the teams we face.

Im not willing to judge a short handed coach who IMO has managed to get this group of average players to play hard and at least COMPETE in every game.

If you think Jauron's gameday mistakes are limited to the misuse of a few timeouts, you're completely underestimating it. The timeouts are the most obvious but it transcends that- general clock management, use of challenges, play calls, halftime adjustments, etc.

feldspar
05-13-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm not arguing Jauron's game (mis)management skills but I do believe that lack of talent has a direct impact on misuse of timeouts, play calling, etc on any coach. Bad teams have a tendency of making even the best coaches break good habits in any sport.

The guy can't challenge a call on the field worth crap, for one thing. The playcall to pass on second down single-handedly lost us the Jets game last year after we'd been successfully running the ball all game. Lack of talent doesn't even begin to explain some of the game-time decisions Jauron has made. Some of those decisions have defied any type of logic I'm familiar with.

madness
05-13-2009, 11:16 AM
The guy can't challenge a call on the field worth crap, for one thing. The playcall to pass on second down single-handedly lost us the Jets game last year after we'd been successfully running the ball all game. Lack of talent doesn't even begin to explain some of the game-time decisions Jauron has made. Some of those decisions have defied any type of logic I'm familiar with.

Hindsight... plays get called like that all the time. Teams just don't have QB's who would roll out on a screen pass.

Besides that, you completely missed the the first sentence in my post.

Mr. Pink
05-13-2009, 01:18 PM
If you think Jauron's gameday mistakes are limited to the misuse of a few timeouts, you're completely underestimating it. The timeouts are the most obvious but it transcends that- general clock management, use of challenges, play calls, halftime adjustments, etc.

Some of that you can't necessarily just pin on the coach.

You say clock mismanagement and cited it as an example where Preston decided to take his happy ass downfield and get into an altercation which ran down the half...it's not like Jauron told him to go be an idiot and run out the half.

Poor play calls? Example roll out pass vs the Jets where JP fumbled...he didn't tell JP to not secure the ball.

The other stuff there isn't direct examples but the talent might play as a limitation for it. Maybe we can't adjust well because the talent isn't able to implement it? You never know.

Play calls is easy to say he's done a decent job...he handcuffed JP as much as he possibly could knowing full well that guy wasn't gonna do anything to help win games, ie. the Colts game a few years ago when I think JP attempted 12 passes.

At times you have to roll the dice and take chances though, unfortunately our talent level hasn't been good to succeed on some of those chances.

Clock mismanagement also can be the players not understanding what they are supposed to do in certain situations...

You won't blame Peters directly for being statistically the worst OT in the league because you can't directly tell based on schemes what sacks he was responsible for, YET, you quickly blame Jauron for all of the above when there's no way to directly tell what he's at fault for.

You can't have it both ways is what I guess I'm saying.

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 01:28 PM
Some of that you can't necessarily just pin on the coach.

You say clock mismanagement and cited it as an example where Preston decided to take his happy ass downfield and get into an altercation which ran down the half...it's not like Jauron told him to go be an idiot and run out the half.

Poor play calls? Example roll out pass vs the Jets where JP fumbled...he didn't tell JP to not secure the ball.

The other stuff there isn't direct examples but the talent might play as a limitation for it. Maybe we can't adjust well because the talent isn't able to implement it? You never know.

Play calls is easy to say he's done a decent job...he handcuffed JP as much as he possibly could knowing full well that guy wasn't gonna do anything to help win games, ie. the Colts game a few years ago when I think JP attempted 12 passes.

At times you have to roll the dice and take chances though, unfortunately our talent level hasn't been good to succeed on some of those chances.

Clock mismanagement also can be the players not understanding what they are supposed to do in certain situations...

You won't blame Peters directly for being statistically the worst OT in the league because you can't directly tell based on schemes what sacks he was responsible for, YET, you quickly blame Jauron for all of the above when there's no way to directly tell what he's at fault for.

You can't have it both ways is what I guess I'm saying.

Obviously the Preston thing is on Preston.

JP should have secured the ball, but he also never should have been in that position in the first place. The Bills ran the ball well the whole game, and it's no secret that JP is a turnover machine. The blame goes both ways- JP for not executing and the coaches for putting JP in the position to not execute.

If the players don't understand what they're supposed to do in certain circumstances, it still comes back to the coaches. It's the coaching staff's job to educate them on the plays and instill the discipline to apply that education.

I don't blame Peters for that stat because that stat is complete bull****, but I do blame Peters for being out of shape when he first came back and I do acknowledge that it's his own fault.

With the coaching, there are some things that are definitely Jauron's fault and there are some other things that are debatable, but look at the number of things that are Jauron's fault. Look at his overall coaching record in the NFL. He hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt.

I realize Jauron is working with a lack of talent, but he's failing to maximize the talent he does have and he makes plenty of mistakes on his own. He's not the only problem that the Bills have, but he's certainly one of them.

ddaryl
05-13-2009, 01:30 PM
I have little faith in Jauron myself... for all the reasons already listed.

he really needs to get in the face of players that aren't performing at a high level, but he never does which leads to more players not playing at a high level 100% of the time. Jauron is emotionless and it's hard to get behind a coach who shows such a distict lack of any sort of emotion, especially when his team is looking like crap and playing the aprt.

and we can go into details to his teams looking woefully unprepared way too much, bad game planning and lack of adjustments that mean much, piss poor clock management/timeout management/challenge management.

Even with a personel upgrade I fear Jauron will always be a coach that can not finish in the end and other better teams will always find a way to beat him

I just have little faith in Jauron and would be feeling a billion times better if we had a different head coach that has been consistently succesful before.

Best option for a new HC would be gruden since he is a T2 / C2 HC

Mahdi
05-13-2009, 01:33 PM
I have little faith in Jauron myself... for all the reasons already listed.

he really needs to get in the face of players that aren't performing at a high level, but he never does which leads to more players not playing at a high level 100% of the time. Jauron is emotionless and it's hard to get behind a coach who shows such a distict lack of any sort of emotion, especially when his team is looking like crap and playing the aprt.

and we can go into details to his teams looking woefully unprepared way too much, bad game planning and lack of adjustments that mean much, piss poor clock management/timeout management/challenge management.

Even with a personel upgrade I fear Jauron will always be a coach that can not finish in the end and other better teams will always find a way to beat him

I just have little faith in Jauron and would be feeling a billion times better if we had a different head coach that has been consistently succesful before.
Dungy seems to do alright without getting in players faces... same with many other coaches... a coach will always be who he is. And any style can be effective.

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Dungy seems to do alright without getting in players faces... same with many other coaches... a coach will always be who he is. And any style can be effective.

Well Jauron's style has gotten him 1 winning season in 8 full seasons as an NFL coach (I'm throwing out Detroit because that was an impossible situation). Yet, he refuses to change it or even modify it.

ddaryl
05-13-2009, 01:39 PM

well I'm not a big fan of Dungy regardles

and what I want is an in your face HC... SO as I mentioned I can't really get behind a coach liek Jauron and his passive ways. Even Marv would get irrate on the sidelines

Lexwhat
05-13-2009, 01:43 PM
well I'm not a big fan of Dungy regardles

and what I want is an in your face HC... SO as I mentioned I can't really get behind a coach liek Jauron and his passive ways. Even Marv would get irrate on the sidelines

Just curious... How come you're not a fan of Dungy?

The guy is a total class act and I can't name a single thing I dislike about him.

His son's suicide was a tragedy, but IMHO, I don't think Tony Dungy had any blame in that.

DynaPaul
05-13-2009, 05:07 PM
I don't know if it's just me but I still can't believe that we signed this bozo to a 3 year extension.

Nighthawk
05-13-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm a very positive fan and this recent off-season/draft finally showed the right path to building something long term.

I'm still sobered by the fact Jauron is still here & is usually outmatched by his couterpart most every game. I've lost count how many close games he played scared and got us beat with bad calls. He's basically gutless.

They must overcome Jaurons' affinity for FG attempts over TD's on O and giving up lots of plays underneath on D, since he considers not giving up the long TD a win, even if his D gets rolled and loses the game.

I still think he prevents this team from winning 3 close games a season and if Bobby April takes over this year, we'll be far better in the long run with this improved roster.

Can we win in spite of him ? I've been sitting in the stands since the mid 1960's and he's one of the worst game managers I've ever seen.

Please stay out of the way, Jauron.

I totally agree and have been saying this for years. Dickey is the one thing that takes a little of the excitement out of the upcoming season. Not only does this team need to beat the other team, but they need to overcome their own coaching also. That sucks!