PDA

View Full Version : Vet on the hot seat: Trent Edwards

seanbillsfan
05-13-2009, 11:45 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-51/Vet-on-the-hot-seat--Trent-Edwards.html

B-DON
05-13-2009, 04:24 PM
The nfl gives up on qb's way to fast.

Philagape
05-13-2009, 04:40 PM

Who's giving up? The article's right: Now is the time to prove he's the man, and there are no more excuses. A QB's third year is fair game as far as pressure to succeed.

jamesiscool
05-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I love TE as a QB but its true, he has the weapons on O to be a top QB in this league. If he gets injured again and misses any substantial amount of time the injury prone tag will quickly be attatched and he may be running out if time at this franchise.

Don't get me wrong, I want Trent to be the QB, he's smart and has all the inatangible things you could want in a QB but this MUST be the the year he is the reason we win games, not lose them.

Hopefully with the no huddle the offensive play calls will be more on his shoulders and less on the coaching staff and he can make things happen by doing what he does best, being a smart QB.

Lexwhat
05-13-2009, 05:18 PM

Actually, we should've given up on JP sooner. We should've traded him before the 2008 season began and gotten a draft pick out of it.

Now that JP has departed, we will get absolutely nothing.

Finding another backup QB who would've had an 0-4 record as a starter in 2008 wouldn't have been that hard! Hell, even Gibran Hamdan could've been the #2 QB. Who knows, maybe he would've went 1-3.

seanbillsfan
05-13-2009, 09:41 PM
I believe the whole season depends on the o-line. In Trent i trust
:rocker:

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 09:55 PM

Todd Collins
Rob Johnson
JP Losman

Three examples just from the Bills of not giving up on a QB soon enough.

It's a delicate balance. On one hand, it's the hardest position on the field to learn and it takes time to figure it out. On the other hand, waiting too long to replace a QB can really hold a franchise back.

Edwards has shown progress, but he also regressed significantly after his injury last year. If he doesn't get back on track this year, the Bills can't afford to screw around with him for another year.

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 09:56 PM
And just for the record, I defended JP right up until Edwards took his job in 07. I was wrong.

Luisito23
05-13-2009, 10:12 PM
This is most definitely Trent's make or break year with this team, I mean we've waited 10+ years for our QB, and really can't afford to wait any longer.

acehole
05-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Those 3 qb's you mentioned do not have what Trent has around him right now. They have built a good team around him and have commited to him and built a system to his stregths.If he doesnt make it this year he never will.
Having said that...he is not on any hot seat....they seem to like him no matter what.....I think fitz starts by week 3 due to injury anyway.

Todd Collins
Rob Johnson
JP Losman

Three examples just from the Bills of not giving up on a QB soon enough.

It's a delicate balance. On one hand, it's the hardest position on the field to learn and it takes time to figure it out. On the other hand, waiting too long to replace a QB can really hold a franchise back.

Edwards has shown progress, but he also regressed significantly after his injury last year. If he doesn't get back on track this year, the Bills can't afford to screw around with him for another year.

seanbillsfan
05-13-2009, 10:41 PM
Those 3 qb's you mentioned do not have what Trent has around him right now. They have built a good team around him and have commited to him and built a system to his stregths.If he doesnt make it this year he never will.
Having said that...he is not on any hot seat....they seem to like him no matter what.....I think fitz starts by week 3 due to injury anyway.
Todd Collins had decent team around him, i just dont think he was ready

Lexwhat
05-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Those 3 qb's you mentioned do not have what Trent has around him right now.

Losman's weapons could be debated, but the guy sucks and will always suck. No team even wants JP as their backup QB.

OpIv37
05-13-2009, 10:59 PM

Well the biggest problem around trent is the OL. We're fine at skill positions when Lynch is off suspension, but the OL could really hold him back.

X-Era
05-14-2009, 05:56 AM
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-51/Vet-on-the-hot-seat--Trent-Edwards.html

Hes absolutely on the hottest seat of any Bill. No one will have a greater impact on the fortunes of Bills next year than this guy, and its not a slam dunk that he will come out the better of it.

X-Era
05-14-2009, 06:00 AM
This is most definitely Trent's make or break year with this team, I mean we've waited 10+ years for our QB, and really can't afford to wait any longer.

Well as far as make or breaks I think its mostly Jaurons.

Trent is kind of a moot point from the standpoint that if we dont win more games, Jauron is gone and then its likely the new HC will want a new QB. Trent will just be in the crossfire of that one.

But if we do much better, Trent is likely to be a part of that, and Jauron may save his job... They both may stay.

X-Era
05-14-2009, 06:03 AM
Well the biggest problem around trent is the OL. We're fine at skill positions when Lynch is off suspension, but the OL could really hold him back.

I so agree with this!

I'm shocked that Dick went along with making so many changes in his put-up-or-shut-up-year. Almost makes me wonder if they have already told him hes staying for the 2010 season as well. (Dont tell Nighthawk).

I'm just so surprised that Dick would allow a complete overhaul of the o-line when so much rides on their collective play.

Mr. Miyagi
05-14-2009, 06:39 AM
Really? In his 2nd year as the undisputed starter he's already on the hot seat?

How long did Eli Manning get?

jamze132
05-14-2009, 06:51 AM
I think the entire Bills coaching staff is on the hotseat. But that's not anything earth shattering.

acehole
05-14-2009, 07:06 AM

I dont think so....they only have to hold blocks for a very short time....but we shall see.

SABURZFAN
05-14-2009, 09:42 AM
Edwards doesn't have any excuses this year. he has the weapons in place for the Bills to be an upper echelon offense. as long as the OL can keep him protected, he should step up his game. the OL needs to do their job in the run game, as well, to make the offense not so predictable.

gil
05-14-2009, 10:35 AM
We're only going to go as far as Trent takes us - good or bad, 2nd year as starter, 3rd year, whatever - it doesn't matter, he will be judged on this season and I think, rightfully so.

If he's as smart as everybody says he is, then it's time to put that together with his physical gifts and show it.

acehole
05-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Edwards doesn't have any excuses this year. he has the weapons in place for the Bills to be an upper echelon offense. as long as the OL can keep him protected, he should step up his game. the OL needs to do their job in the run game, as well, to make the offense not so predictable.

Wow a post that does not break balls?

:limpclap:

X-Era
05-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Really? In his 2nd year as the undisputed starter he's already on the hot seat?

How long did Eli Manning get?

In NY? He didnt even get that long, the scrutiny started before he did.

In 06, in hsi 2nd year as the full time starter, Eli took the Giants to the playoffs and lost to the Eagles.

He reached the Superbowl in his 3rd year as the full time guy and was the SB MVP.

Trent is going into his 2nd year as the full time starter.

X-Era
05-14-2009, 04:10 PM

Ok, I agree completely with your post... let me say that first.

But, in your mind, how many sacks per game, given up by our OL, give Trent a legitimate excuse?

SABURZFAN
05-15-2009, 01:38 AM
:monkeyp:
Wow a post that does not break balls?

:limpclap:

don't be an acehole. :rolleyes:

SABURZFAN
05-15-2009, 01:40 AM
Ok, I agree completely with your post... let me say that first.

But, in your mind, how many sacks per game, given up by our OL, give Trent a legitimate excuse?

i guess we'll have to take it one game at a time to get our answer, won't we?

acehole
05-15-2009, 08:04 AM
[quote=SABURZFAN]:monkeyp:

You forgot the icon of your mom on the otherside.