PDA

View Full Version : Nelson took the tougher path

The Spaz
05-14-2009, 08:05 AM
After redshirting his freshman year, Shawn Nelson wanted out. Out of Southern Mississippi, out of the Golden Eagles offense and out of tight end. Recruited as a receiver out of high school by a handful of other Division I schools, Nelson had a big decision to make after the transition to tight end proved a bit more trying than he had anticipated.

Working in a balanced offense Nelson longed for more opportunities to catch the ball.

“I didn’t play tight end until I got to college,” said Nelson. “My first year I wanted to bail out. I thought about transferring to Louisiana Tech and Florida because they both ran the spread offense.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/nelson-took-the-tougher-path/7ce808d2-04eb-444b-b365-88ded438c6ac

acehole
05-14-2009, 08:20 AM
I am worried about this guy. Not from a talent level from an attitude level. He is confident bordering arogent and I feel he feels he wanted to go on another team higher in the draft. I dont get the feeling he is excited to be here like you get from the other draft picks. I hope I am wrong because we have needed the threat of a Tight end catching the ball since Jay Rieamersablabla left.

After redshirting his freshman year, Shawn Nelson wanted out. Out of Southern Mississippi, out of the Golden Eagles offense and out of tight end. Recruited as a receiver out of high school by a handful of other Division I schools, Nelson had a big decision to make after the transition to tight end proved a bit more trying than he had anticipated.

Working in a balanced offense Nelson longed for more opportunities to catch the ball.

“I didn’t play tight end until I got to college,” said Nelson. “My first year I wanted to bail out. I thought about transferring to Louisiana Tech and Florida because they both ran the spread offense.”

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/nelson-took-the-tougher-path/7ce808d2-04eb-444b-b365-88ded438c6ac

Mahdi
05-14-2009, 08:24 AM
I am worried about this guy. Not from a talent level from an attitude level. He is confident bordering arogent and I feel he feels he wanted to go on another team higher in the draft. I dont get the feeling he is excited to be here like you get from the other draft picks. I hope I am wrong because we have needed the threat of a Tight end catching the ball since Jay Rieamersablabla left.
I dont see the arrogant part at all. Where do you get that from?

Jan Reimers
05-14-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm going to wait to learn about Nelson and every other one of our new guys based on more than 3 days of rookie camp, before making any kind of judgment on their talent or attitude.

Some are so quick to judge on this board - Maybin must be on steroids, Nelson is arrogant, etc., etc. - that it's scary.

Bulldog
05-14-2009, 08:51 AM

Yeah, I don't see that either. Seems like a pretty down to earth guy who's willing to work at something to become a better player. Sounds good to me.

The Spaz
05-14-2009, 09:08 AM
What they had said about Nelson

I thought it’d be interesting to go back and look at some of the comments that the draft experts had made about Shawn Nelson prior to the draft. What guys like Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper said pretty much cements the fact that Nelson was a steal in round four. See below.

“The guy that has made the biggest impression to me is Shawn Nelson from Southern Miss,” said Mayock. “I watched some tape of him, I knew he could get vertical and catch the football, but at the Senior Bowl I thought he had as good a week as maybe anybody. He knocked Rey Maualuga on his butt a couple of times in one-on-one drills. He’s what I would call a willing blocker. He’s not a great blocker, but he’s willing. He’s 6’5” and 240 and he’s got a body type to get bigger and because I think he’s got some innate toughness I think he will become a blocker and I really like him a lot.”

“Shawn Nelson is a second round type of guy,” said Kiper. “At worst a third rounder for the type of ability he has in the passing game.”

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/05/14/what-they-had-said-about-nelson/

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Nelson is the guy I am most excited about from our draft. I think the addition of T.O. will really open the middle of the field for Nelson to do some serious damage. Linebackers won't be able to cover him one on one. If he can at least be an average blocker I think he could have a huge impact on the team this season.

casdhf
05-14-2009, 09:35 AM
I can't help but look at him and think "Teyo Johnson."

The Spaz
05-14-2009, 09:42 AM

Why is that? Teyo Johnson was a WR in college and really didn't want to play TE in the NFL.

Mahdi
05-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Wow... that was random.

acehole
05-14-2009, 11:20 AM

I am a good poker player...I just see things about him in his interview and his words....

Possibly to little to go on... But I hope I am wrong...

acehole
05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Nelson is the guy I am most excited about from our draft. I think the addition of T.O. will really open the middle of the field for Nelson to do some serious damage. Linebackers won't be able to cover him one on one. If he can at least be an average blocker I think he could have a huge impact on the team this season.

Steel of the draft...talent not an issue with me.