PDA

View Full Version : Assistants On The Spot

seanbillsfan
05-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Turk Schonert, Bills offensive coordinator
I wonder if Turk has called down to Dallas and asked Jason Garrett what life is like coaching Terrell Owens. I hope he made the call, took meticulous notes and formulated a game plan because he's approaching the most critical season in his coaching career. The Bills have to make the playoffs or there might be changes coming to Buffalo. Ralph Wilson, the owner of the Bills, wanted some changes to the staff this offseason, but because of head coach Dick Jauron's insistence on continuity, no changes were made.

The staff may not have changed, but the team is going to be very different in 2009. How these changes will be incorporated into the Bills' base offense will be critical. Schonert must find a way to bring consistency to the offense. The Bills rarely make mistakes (which would indicate that they're consistent, but they're not) and were one of the least penalized offensive teams in the NFL, yet they cannot control the ball and finish drives. They fail to convert third downs in the red zone and finished 26th in this area, which obviously stalls drives and forces field goals instead of touchdowns. When teams took away the big play from wide receiver Lee Evans, the Bills' offense did not have the ability to manufacture scoring drives.

The Bills' front office and coaching staff talked after the draft about becoming more physical in their offensive line, along with being more physical as an offensive football team. They felt the '08 team lacked toughness to finish plays. This claim is supported by the fact that the Bills were one of the worst teams in the NFL in converting third and one, ranking 27th. Converting short yardage is one area that separates good teams from bad ones.
Schonert has some of the best skill players in the league in running back Marshawn Lynch and wide receivers Evans and Owens. But as we all know, having skill players does not translate into points if the offensive line is not playing well. Getting Trent Edwards to become quicker with his decisions will help the line. Finding an edge blocker at tight end will help both tackles in pass protection and might allow the Bills to have a strongside run game, something that was not always consistent in 2008.

If I worked for the Bills (or if I were Schonert), I would attempt to pry tight end Daniel Graham away from the Broncos (Side note here The Broncos drafted a young blocking tight end, Richard Quinn, in the second round, possibly making Graham expendable). Graham's skills as a blocker would make this offense a significant factor in 2009. He would enhance the running game and allow them time to develop two new tackles (Langston Walker now at left and Kirk Chambers at right).

The Bills have a lot riding on this season, and it will take the best of every player, coach and front office member to reach the playoffs. My good friend Eric Musselman, the former Golden State Warriors coach, always talked to his team about each player improving 10 percent, each coach improving 10 percent and each executive improving 10 percent. That would make the team 30 percent stronger than the previous year -- and likely resulting in a playoff appearance.

Schonert has his worked cut out for him. He has to deal with an unpredictable T.O., a new offensive line and looming expectations. He will have to take his coaching game up a notch, as the Bills' offense must make a giant leap forward.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11746261/rss

ddaryl
05-14-2009, 01:06 PM
Turk can save Jaurons job...

Jauron is on the hotter seat IMHO

seanbillsfan
05-14-2009, 04:16 PM
Turk can save Jaurons job...

Jauron is on the hotter seat IMHO
I agree, and if Jauron gets axed then so does Schonert most likely