PDA

View Full Version : Lynch appeals suspension

ronholm78
05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Bills running back Marshawn Lynch has filed an appeal with the NFL contesting his suspension without pay for the first three games of the season.
Lynch

The NFL confirmed Thursday that an appeal was filed but did not provide details, including when the appeal might be heard. Lynch's agent, Doug Hendrickson, was not immediately available.

Lynch was suspended last month for violating the league's personal conduct policy after he pleaded guilty in March to a misdemeanor gun charge in Los Angeles.

Lynch apologized for his actions and anticipated he would be suspended after meeting with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

It was Lynch's second run-in with the law following a hit-and-run accident in Buffalo last May.

The Spaz
05-14-2009, 03:17 PM
Have a link?

Bruce is Loose
05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Good! I was worried that he wasnt gonna appeal. He should get a reduction Id think.

Jaybird
05-14-2009, 03:22 PM
let's hope they knock a game or two off

THATHURMANATOR
05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
1 game is enough.

TheMan08
05-14-2009, 03:27 PM
GREAT. He'll be avail vs NEW ENGLAND too. I say it'll be 2 games. One game knocked off. Hopefully 2 knocked off!

OpIv37
05-14-2009, 03:28 PM
GREAT. He'll be avail vs NEW ENGLAND too. I say it'll be 2 games. One game knocked off. Hopefully 2 knocked off!

NE is the first game of the year for us. He's missing that one no matter what- there's no way they give him zero games.

billsfanone
05-14-2009, 03:34 PM
1 game is enough.

1 preseason game.

The Spaz
05-14-2009, 03:36 PM
He'll probably get it reduced to 2 games I hope.

madness
05-14-2009, 03:37 PM
NE is the first game of the year for us. He's missing that one no matter what- there's no way they give him zero games.
I'm not sure how it applies to the offseason or Marshawn's situation but I think he is referring to the fact that a player retains his right to practice and play until the case is settled.

The Spaz
05-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Here is a link:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-bills-lynchsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

Bulldog
05-14-2009, 03:40 PM
I'm thinking he'll get it reduced by one game.

OpIv37
05-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm not sure how it applies to the offseason or Marshawn's situation but I think he is referring to the fact that a player retains his right to practice and play until the case is settled.

well either way- I can't imagine the appeal taking 4 months.

madness
05-14-2009, 03:51 PM
well either way- I can't imagine the appeal taking 4 months.

Me neither. Wishful thinking at this point.

psubills62
05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Good to know he appealed though. We could use him against teams with inexperienced or weaker front 7's, like TB and NO.

CAbills
05-14-2009, 04:00 PM
He SHOULD get a game knocked off, didn't Brandon Marshall get his suspension reduced after he beat his wife of girlfriend. Seems like a worse offense then an unregistered gun in a trunk of a car.

Goobylal
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
He SHOULD get a game knocked off, didn't Brandon Marshall get his suspension reduced after he beat his wife of girlfriend. Seems like a worse offense then an unregistered gun in a trunk of a car.
Marshall was suspended 3 games and had it reduced to 1 after appeal. Lynch should get the same.

seanbillsfan
05-14-2009, 05:00 PM
:pray:

elltrain22
05-14-2009, 05:08 PM
Hope he gets a game or 2 knocked off, but if he doesn't we're still in good hands w/ Action Jackson.
:brush:

Goobylal
05-14-2009, 05:19 PM
Hope he gets a game or 2 knocked off, but if he doesn't we're still in good hands w/ Action Jackson.
:brush:
Don't forget Rhodes.

elltrain22
05-14-2009, 05:21 PM
Don't forget Rhodes.

No offense, but Rhodes is not even close to the level of Marshawn. I do like having him here, but Lynch is a friggen beast. Marshawn has so much upside, its silly.

BillsWin
05-14-2009, 05:59 PM
Maybe he can get it reduced. I doubt it.

The Spaz
05-14-2009, 06:04 PM
Maybe he can get it reduced. I doubt it.

He better considering I think Marshall did way worse and had 3 games and had it reduced.

Buddo
05-14-2009, 06:11 PM
I personally think that 3 games in the first instance was a bit excessive. Wrong place at wrong time most definitely, and that needs to be emphasized in terms of not actually getting in that situation, in the first place. 3 games also seems to be an 'odd' amount. Players who get the Commish treatment, pretty much seem to get 1,2 or 4 games. Past history of what has happened with other guys, should lead this to be reduced on appeal.
I think the fact there was an unlicensed weapon involved, means it will still be treated seriously, so I would say that 2 games is about right.
Since the incident occurred, Lynch has pretty much gone about things in the right way, in respect of approaching the Commish to talk about it - not simply waiting for a 'summons', and he also didn't mess about within the legal process.
Iirc, he gave up some of his rights in respect of being stopped and searched, within whatever deal he did. That is not an inconsiderable concession tbh.

Goobylal
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
No offense, but Rhodes is not even close to the level of Marshawn. I do like having him here, but Lynch is a friggen beast. Marshawn has so much upside, its silly.
I meant Rhodes in combo with Jackson will be fine. But Rhodes is a better receiver and blitz picker-upper than Lynch, while their running styles are different.

Goobylal
05-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I personally think that 3 games in the first instance was a bit excessive. Wrong place at wrong time most definitely, and that needs to be emphasized in terms of not actually getting in that situation, in the first place. 3 games also seems to be an 'odd' amount. Players who get the Commish treatment, pretty much seem to get 1,2 or 4 games. Past history of what has happened with other guys, should lead this to be reduced on appeal.
I think the fact there was an unlicensed weapon involved, means it will still be treated seriously, so I would say that 2 games is about right.
Since the incident occurred, Lynch has pretty much gone about things in the right way, in respect of approaching the Commish to talk about it - not simply waiting for a 'summons', and he also didn't mess about within the legal process.
Iirc, he gave up some of his rights in respect of being stopped and searched, within whatever deal he did. That is not an inconsiderable concession tbh.
Getting caught with a gun like he did isn't even as bad as DUI. There is no virtually no danger in keeping an unlicensed loaded gun in a trunk, versus driving under the influence. But since it's against the law, Lynch had to be punished, and he was, just like players are punised for DUI by the law, but given a free pass by the Commish. And Lynch got what anyone else would have gotten for a first-time offense.

Jeff1220
05-14-2009, 08:33 PM
I really hope this whole offseason was a wake-up call for ML. Hopefully he realizes the only way to put this stuff behind him is to make good choices from now on and to tear it up on the field. A ML with a clear focus would be able to do some ridiculous things on Sundays!

mybills
05-15-2009, 09:11 AM
1 game is enough.
I guess he beat the deadline, Corey. :phew:

psubills62
05-15-2009, 09:21 AM
Marshall was suspended 3 games and had it reduced to 1 after appeal. Lynch should get the same.

If memory serves me correctly, Marshall also had several other previous incidents. Lynch had one previous incident (while in the league).

Considering how Goodell has handled other situations, such as Marshall's, Lynch's 3 game suspension was a little too harsh, imo. If it doesn't go down to 1 game with appeal, then it's definitely much too harsh.