• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Is Pisa really an upgrade?

Pretty interesting little read from a NY Times blog comparing he and Ellison. interesting if nothing else.
    The Bills are considering signing linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa. At first blush, it looks like a clear upgrade. The metrics tell a different story.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • TheMan08
    Knocks only the living.
    • Oct 2008

Re: Is Pisa really an upgrade?

The unathletic Draftboy is an upgrade over Keith Ellison.

Doesn't take much.

Comment

• madness
      • Apr 2003

Originally posted by patmoran2006
      Pretty interesting little read from a NY Times blog comparing he and Ellison. interesting if nothing else.
      http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...it-an-upgrade/
      Interesting? Yes. Substantial? No.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
        All-Pro Zoner
        • Feb 2005

i read it this morning. in my opinion he is definitely a upgrade over ellison. i am not saying he is a game changer but an upgrade yes.

Comment

• Lexwhat
          • Feb 2005

Finally, some insight and reasoning.

I know St. Louis changed schemes, but I still find it strange that he was suddenly released. Maybe he's just not as good as people on this board are making him out to be.

"Tackles" are sometimes a deceiving stat. Either way, I admit I've never seen him play and think the best place to get an analysis on him is a Rams Message Board.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Decent points, but I think it is a flawed conclusion. Ellison is a weakness for us, and Pisa has proven to be a high end LB in a Cover 2 system. He is definitely an upgrade. Maybe not a huge one, but an upgrade nonetheless. If he has an unreasonable asking price, then I understand the Bills passing on him. But if his demands are fair, it would be a mistake not to sign him. Put simply, Ellison should not be a starter in this league, at least at this stage of his career, and if he is for us, our defense will have a weakness as a result.

Comment

• TheMan08
              Knocks only the living.
              • Oct 2008

Keith Ellison is the worst starting LB in all of football.

Comment

• madness
                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                Finally, some insight and reasoning.

I know St. Louis changed schemes, but I still find it strange that he was suddenly released. Maybe he's just not as good as people on this board are making him out to be.

"Tackles" are sometimes a deceiving stat. Either way, I admit I've never seen him play and think the best place to get an analysis on him is a Rams Message Board.
                It wasn't strange at all. He's way underweight for their scheme and you're not going to keep paying someone like him to come off the bench... especially when you can save yourself a quick 2 million.

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

a rusty refrigerator on a hand truck is an upgrade over Ellison.

Let's put this in perspective. Pisa is not Lance Briggs or Shawn Merriman. He's not going to come in here and get 8 sacks and 6 INT's. But Ellison is practically irrelevant out there. I remember sitting down to write my post-game article a few hours after the game ended, and a few times he was so unremarkable that I had to check the game stats on NFL.com to see if he actually played. That's how little impact Keith Ellison has.

So, Pisa isn't the full-fledged impact player that we would like, but he's still a significant upgrade over Ellison.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• acehole
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by patmoran2006
                    http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...it-an-upgrade/

Intersting? No Food for thought? No

Whenever you can collect leading tacklers from other teams you do it......

Especially at his age and at a position of need.
                    Hated by the stupid..
                    Loved by their moms.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

I”ve always thought “tackles” is one of the most overated statistics in football. Take London Fletcher. He was a tackling machine for the Bills yet rarely if ever got any respect on this board.

And I never said I agree or disagree with the points the writer was making, just wanted to show someone’s perspective.

In my opinion, landing Pisa is a good move. He’s an upgrade over Ellison, don’t care what numbers say. I also think Pisa, at least based on what I’ve been told by people who’ve followed the Rams, that he’s better than Krieaho or June, a few guys that we contemplated signing earlier.

Based on numbers and what I’ve heard, Angelo Crowell (a healthy one) is actually a good basis for comparison. And while Pisa’s tackling numbers don’t impress me, the fact that he has numbers in playmaking stats (INTs, FF, FR, Sacks) makes me more excited about him. Our LB’s, other than Mitchell vs SD, rarely EVER make a significant play.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                        All-Pro Zoner
                        • Feb 2005

i am sure they are still working on a contract. everyone is getting all tense about it but he didnt even get his physical till yestarday afternoon. weather every free agent takes one or not no team is signing a player till they get the results of one. i think the physical got done late since he didnt even go to have it till the afternoon, and they probably started talks last night and are continuing today. in my opinion he will be signed. weather it is in a hour or tomorrow i dont know, but i think it will get done today.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

maybe we should compare Pisa to Crowell before he quit on us.

Makes you wonder though why the Rams didn't care to resign Pisa.

As for Ellison and Pisa we fans don't really know what the coaches asked of them which is why we have a different view of players. We fans only want to see big plays. We want to see players make turn overs. But sometimes players can only do so much depending on where the coaches put them when it comes to X's and O's.

I've often wondered why Dick was high on Ellison. Maybe he didn't make plays because he was only doing what Fewell told him to do which limited his abilities? Remember, Dick likes role players , not necesarily players who go out and do their own thing. Crowell made plays but as reported, coaches didn't like him.

This is why I said coaches should just let go of their leash and let players play especially if these players are smart.
                          Last edited by justasportsfan; 05-15-2009, 11:01 AM.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• madness
                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by jimbohastle51
                            i am sure they are still working on a contract. everyone is getting all tense about it but he didnt even get his physical till yestarday afternoon. weather every free agent takes one or not no team is signing a player till they get the results of one. i think the physical got done late since he didnt even go to have it till the afternoon, and they probably started talks last night and are continuing today. in my opinion he will be signed. weather it is in a hour or tomorrow i dont know, but i think it will get done today.
                            He better get signed today! I have my Bills polo shirt on at work today. The two last times I wore it we signed Hang and then T.O.

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                              All-Pro Zoner
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by madness
                              He better get signed today! I have my Bills polo shirt on at work today. The two last times I wore it we signed Hang and then T.O.
                              as most free agents do when there agents says a deal is close, he is probably sitting in his hotel room waiting to sign for a call to get to OBD and sign his contract or he is touring his new city. they want this done, i am sure anyone who is familiar with OBD knows they dont particularly like to do business on weekends espeically sundays, and they want him here for monday OTA's and know he has to fly home still to get belongings. it will get done today if its getting done.

Comment

Working...
                              X